Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting my daughter to wear her TLSO

Question Getting my daughter to wear her TLSO

Hi there -

I have a 5 1/2 year old T10. Very vibrant, determined little girl. SHe has been a T10 since birth and with that has come a certain degree of scoliosis. Nothing too major but slightly noticeable. We have just recently (in the last year ) FINALLY found a care system we are happy with (Shriners in Philly and Greenville, SC) They fit her for a TLSO and while we know they are not a day at Disney it's hard to ger her to wear it for any real amount of time. She complains of being hot and sweaty and uncomfortable. Are there any tips or ticks we can try to make it better for her. A few hours on and maybe an hour off? Any tips or suggestions? It's hard wanting to give her as normal a life as possible and knowing that she has to wear this. It's hard to explain to her.

Here are some pics of her:
    http://homepage.mac.com/lennyterenzi/PhotoAlbum4.html

Thanks!
    Lenny

hey! i'm so surprised and glad you're on care cure! my phone died (i dropped it one too many times) i miss bella a lot! i hope to see her at shriners again, she's so beautiful.

i'd do a reward system, she might go for that, like candy or whatever (her cinderella movie maybe) for a certain time. maybe after 2 hours, treat, it's up to you, i'm sure she'll haggle you for quite a bargain!
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Have you let her decorate it the way she wants? Stickers, markers, whatever? It may be time to the unpopular mom. I had to do that (and my son was 17!) Part time wearing won't have the desired affect, you know that, she doesn't. Underarmour (bought at sporting goods shops and they have children's sizes.) are more comfortable under them, no bunching, less sweating. And see if they can do some cut-outs for ventilation. She's light-weight, so they may can do that. Maybe even in fun patterns for her (hearts...). Also, make sure it fits well, children grow fast and it may be more uncomfortable than it has to be if she's taller or heavier. You also know, that as a T10 child her life will never be normal and the TLSO on or off isn't going to change that. But scoliosis can cause increased pain and loss off function, and you don't want that. Maybe make a play one for her doll or stuffed toy and let her play act out with that, explain why she has to wear it and then let her explain it to Teddy (or whatever...)
    BeeBee

i know bella has a vent in the front and planets and stars on her TLSO, but when she first got it, i remember her saying how hot she got in it, and you could tell she was roasting. that shirt idea sounds good to me atleast.

Frank's blog:
    My regular blog:

Bella

What a beautiful girl! The treat system souds good, but stupid me I would try a book-reading session or movie or outing after so many hours of wear rather than food. Putting her in charge of record keeping of course. Food for comfort can become a problem, weight-wise. Can they do more cutouts?

I would endorse what the others have said about rewards for wearing it. You should also check with the orthotist to see if more air holes can be added (they can drill these in place). She should be wearing it over a white t-shirt (absorbs more sweat than colored ones) and changing the t-shirt at least once daily...more often if it is damp. I would also agree that in this case a gradual increasing of time worn would be appropriate. Set some goals and make a chart. Give her rewards for reaching the goals. Tickling and back-scratches when it comes off when she has reached her goals might also be an incentive!

(KLD)

Thumbs up Great Ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBee
    Underarmour (bought at sporting goods shops and they have children's sizes.) are more comfortable under them, no bunching, less sweating.... Maybe make a play one for her doll or stuffed toy and let her play act out with that, explain why she has to wear it and then let her explain it to Teddy (or whatever...)
    I have to disagree with on the normal life comment. Normal is what you make it and she is a vibrant and very happy child. The word "never" doesnt get used in our house. I have no problem being the heavy, I just want to make it as easy as it can be.

I will look into the extra ventilation, underarmour and the teddy bear/animal with it's own TLSO is a great idea! Thanks!

Lenny

Talking Hey You!!

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    hey! i'm so surprised and glad you're on care cure! my phone died (i dropped it one too many times) i miss bella a lot! i hope to see her at shriners again, she's so beautiful.

i'd do a reward system, she might go for that, like candy or whatever (her cinderella movie maybe) for a certain time. maybe after 2 hours, treat, it's up to you, i'm sure she'll haggle you for quite a bargain!

How are you! We miss you too. We were at Shriners for two weeks in September and Bella REALLY wanted to see you. She has the picture of you tow on her wall and talks about you a lot.

Hope you are doing well Callie. Take Care!

Lenny,
    I'm so glad to hear that your daughter is receiving care from Shriners. They are, without a doubt, the best!

My daughter, now 19, also wears a TLSO. She was finally fitted correctly at Shriners in Portland. We knew that excessive heat was an issue, so we asked for extra vent holes. They drilled 31 randomly placed holes and that seems to help quite a bit. Also, Sally wears an "A" shirt under her TSLO. We prefer Fruit of the Loom found in the boys underwear section in just about any department store. These shirts are cotton, lightweight, and inexpensive. The clothes that are worn over the TSLO should also be lightweight. A tank top or T-shirt in mild weather and a long sleeved T-shirt for Winter. She can always put on a sweater if she gets too cold, but she probably won't!

Wearing a brace is a pain, but it must become a habit. If she is not wearing it consistently, a growth spurt can catch you unawares and the next thing you know that small curve becomes large and painful almost overnight!

Good Luck,
    Sandi

aww lenny that's so sweet, i've missed her a lot, i still have my little pony mcdonald's toy she gave me

such a sweet girl

i'm doin fine by the way, i got my puppy in july and he's the cutest thing! he's my little baby. i have a pic of me and him in my profile if you want to see!

Frank's blog:
    My regular blog: