Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stupid PCA tricks...or could they be dumber...gota rant.

I had a box of jared (canned) food. One of the bottles was brokem. They looked into the box and did not tell me it was that way, and just put it back, AFTER they looked inside and saw it.....My other PCA, threw away the offending jar, icky box and washed and stored the other jars back where they belonged.

i wouldn't take their shit tweet. they're workin for you, getting paid good money, and it's your stuff. i had dumb shit go on too when i had pcas, but fortunately i don't need them anymore. like i said, don't take their shit, if they can't do a simple thing and be clean and organized about it, they deserve whatever amount of wrath you want to dish out.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

They are beginning to get the point. I have already put up ads so I can replace them. I swear they are retarded, some of them. The next thing that bugs me are their damned cell phones. I hate those things. I am getting a bath and all of a sudden they run off and leave me freezing my arse off while they blab. I finally told one of them today to shut the darn thing off and leave it in the car during working hours. I said "This is a job, just like Stop and Shop or Burger King, and stop disrespecting me this way."

Also they call their friends to call or tell me when they cannot come in, and I addressed that too. Call me, not another PCA, you have my phone number.

mine would always eat my food, and i didn't mind cuz those were the good ones. i hired one locally and she slept in the mornings! i'd call for her and she's sleepin on my couch. she'd cath me and not pich the cath and she'd let whatever pee was left over in the cath dribble right there at my crotch on my bed. and she'd mess up my meds too and forgot absoluetly everything. then, she tried to get a letter for unemployment when i had to go to shriners for three months. hell no! fired her ass right away. she'd use my phone all the time, and her kids would call my house! that makes me mad, it isn't professional.

Frank's blog:
    My regular blog:

Here are a couple questions I have. Shouldn't there be a clearing house of people that you can select from that have had training? I do not only mean things like how to do transfers, cath people, wash people skin care, etc, but also things that involve attitude, boundries, lifestyle acceptence, and an understanding that the person with the disability is the employer and that the PCA is coming into OUR homes, with our lifestyles, philosophies, attitudes, cultures, and way of doing things. But there is no such thing. There needs to be a way to weed out the bad ones that do things that are so bad. But being in a situation where I have to "go fishing" until I catch whatever, and try to sort this out myself. I have found some people who I totally thought were safe and good, turned out to be the worst, and others that I thought, oh well, this person isn't going to make it, but I have to accept her, turns out to be really good.
    Like Essy, she has turned out to be great. I thought she was going to be a problem, with her limited education, diference in culture, and some physical disabilites. It has turned out great. I had another that was great for a long time, but then went totally wacky on me....how do we function and keep going when we are put in this situation. Hiring extra people is good, but often this cannot be done. I had ads out for 6 months, and got no replies. I had over 25 ads out. I have even asked friends of friends, recomendations by other PCA's etc.
    I have tried the list at the local IL center and found very few safe and reliable, and have had to deal with lies, teft, layness, bossyness, inappropriate behavior, sneakieness, etc.

I found CORI background checks not much help, refernce checks (the references were friends and going to say good things anyway). What is your spin on this?

well, i've never been stolen from, but i definitely think you're right about picking people for more than the text book things and more about respect of property, values, etc. unfortunately, i've gotten the feeling that they act like we have no chioce so we gotta deal with the crap. it's very hard to find someone who will do a good job. i think there should be higher standards that pcas should work by, not just proper cathing, washing, etc.

it's your house, not theirs, they should go by your rules. it's not like you're asking them to dress up and prance around like eye candy,lol. just do what you ask and be clean and neat.

Frank's blog:
    My regular blog:

I have an interview with someone tomorrow to see if she will work out. I told her on the phone that we need team work, and not let everything fall on one person's back. I think she sounds good
    Here is another problem. I find that I get a good person, she burns out because of the lazy ones leaving their work for her and having no initative to do extras to save others. Let megive an an example. Dusting....do they know the defination, what a dustrag is? Why are they leaving it for Essy....now being partialy blind, I miss dust so I forget to do it, but if I were cleanin g it would be an automatic thing to do. It just I forget about it, and Essy keeps getting stuck with it as others are to lay to do it....

And she had her rant, so I showed her this thread.......and she was horrified.
    She wasn't horrified about the fact we were complaining, but rather what we have had to deal with.

SoFla, that reminds me of an idiot PT who did not know what my legbag was and asked why I had a tournquit on my leg. I informed her it was not a tournquet, it was a leg bag strap. Then I asked, "Since you are a PT and deal with severely disabled people all the time, do you NOT know what a foley catheter is??? She also had the audacity to say it was dangerous for me to sit on the floor.....have any of you fallen off the floor yet???LOL
    Last edited by Tweetybird; 12-03-2005 at 11:00 AM.