Thread: Anyone unable to take baclofen?

Anyone unable to take baclofen?

I posted a similar message on the pain forum, but did not get very many responses. I was wondering if anyone else cannot take baclofen or gets pain from taking baclofen? I have severe, cold burning pain in my abdomen and back that started around the same time I started taking baclofen 12 years ago and has only gotten worse over the years. I went as far as getting a baclofen pump (to manage spasticity and in hopes of reducing pain) and have only gotten more of the same cold, burning pain. My chronic pain doctor does not seem to think it is the baclofen causing the cold burning sensation, but it does not respond to any nerve type medications and only got worse with the pump. I know baclofen is the most prescribed medication for spasticity, so was wondering if other people used other medication besides baclofen to reduce their spasms and specifically if anyone else has had pain or other problems from taking baclofen?

Any information would be appreciated,
    CJ

sorry, but are you americans drug addicts or sumthing.
    all i ever hear is how many different drugs you take for pain when your suppozed to be paralyzed?
    i spazm constantly but take it as a blessing indisguise as it keeps muscle tone.
    do some exersise
    survivor of beijing oeg transplant

Quote Originally Posted by philquad36
    sorry, but are you americans drug addicts or sumthing.
    all i ever hear is how many different drugs you take for pain when your suppozed to be paralyzed?
    i spazm constantly but take it as a blessing indisguise as it keeps muscle tone.
    do some exersise
    Phil - I've never taken baclofen and agree with you about the muscle tone. I would be as limp as a piece of string without some degree of spasm.

To be fair though I was in hospital with quads and paras who wouldn't have been able to function if their spasms weren't controlled.

Everyone's injury is different. I decided early on that less meds was best for me - I refused painkillers and morphine in the first 48 hours because I wanted to understand how bad my pain was before I chugged anything to control it. Luckily, mine was never bad.

Some people DO just accept meds and never try without - others REALLY need them
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

For philquad and RehabRhino: Spasms do have good effects in terms of maintaining tone and muscle mass and that has many good effects in many body systems but sometimes spasms can be so severe as to be dangerous, making it difficult to transfer someone from bed to chair or vice versa and even sometimes throwing people to the floor.

SunnyCJ, I tend to agree with your chronic pain doctor. In twenty years of SCI nursing and having given gallons of baclofen during that time, I have never had anyone for whom it caused pain. This nerve pain may have emerged near the time you started baclofen and be getting worse with time (that is unfortunately very common) but I am skeptical that the baclofen is causing it.

RAB

Within an hour of taking baclofen I would melt into puddle of tears. Now I use flexeril, but only when the spasms are really bad and painful. I, also, experience burning cold pain accross my torso. It's always there, but there are times when it is unbearable. Then I just go to bed and stay immobile for a while. I wasted the entire morning in bed yeserday before I could get control over the pain.

baclofen ?

When I take any baclofen by mouth my blood pressure drops and I can not function. I have taken other oral medicine and some work for a while. A baclofen pump was installed 15 months ago we are still trying to calibrate it. It took 12 month to figure out the delivery tube was kinked.