Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neurontin vs Pregabalin

where no one has gone before...SW Pennsylvania

lyrica vs. neurontin

Quote Originally Posted by luke00
    Woooaaahhhh!!! Hang on a minute. We seem to have got side tracked from my initial question.

Basically I have been taking Neurontin (Gabapentin to some of you) and I am about to change to Pregabalin (Lyrica to some of you).

As this website is world wide and not just for U.S. users, I am hoping that someone somewhere might have some information that they can offer on changing over and dosage etc (as per my original post ).

Thanks!
    i just added lyrica to my neurotin. i was on 3800mgs of neurontin a day and since my insurance didn't cover thee lyrica my neurologist gave me samples to use until he can try and get it approved. my SCI dr. joined in and they're sure they can get it through.

ANYWAY, back to the topic. rightnow i'm substituting one 75mg lyrica for one 300 mg neurontin twice a day. i already have alittle less burning at night and am waking less from it. i'm supposed to replace 2 doses of lyrica for two doses of neurontin until i'm taking 4 doses of 75mgs lyica and 4 doses of 600mgs of neurontin in one month. which works out to one replacement a week.
    i'll be on my third dose[and one less 300mg neurontin] of 75mg lyrica next week, i'll let you know what happens.i don't know what the final dosage will be, but somehow i'm supposed to be off the neurontin and totally on the lyica. we/ll find out.

so far so good
    lori c-6 complete
    Last edited by kickinglamb; 11-30-2005 at 09:28 PM.

good luck ! wow i would need that written out for me , i am sure i would screw it up
    cauda equina

Neurontin to Pregabalin

Hi,

I am wanting to follow up with Luke. I am about to change from Gabapentin (1800 per day) to Pregabalin (75 mg to start). Did you experience much withdrawal or did the initial side effects of Pregabalin cover that over?

Appreciate hearing from anyone!!

Chris

Lyrica caused me gum and teeth pain the first time I tried it. I may try it again at some point, for lack of anything else.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Generic gabapentin *not* the same as Neurontin

I have taken Neurontin for 8 years for problems related to a brain injury. It changed my life from being housebound and severely disabled for 12 years to getting out of the house, travelling a bit, doing my own shopping, etc. I am a true Neurontin success story. My boyfriend, a C-4/5 partial quad, also takes it for pain.

I was switched to the generic a few months ago, one made by Teva. My health started declining, gradually at first, then rapidly to the point where I could not stand up and wound up in the hospital with so many symptoms they couldn't figure out what was wrong. It then occurred to me that I started going downhill about the time I was switched to the generic gabapentin. I found some old Neurontin, went back on it and in two weeks I am almost back to normal.

Now I am wondering about my boyfriend who hasn't done as well when he was switched to the generic.

Why does the FDA lie to the public about this? I have since come across a number of people who have found that the generics do not work as well. My insurance company is using the "generics are the same" excuse to justify not paying for Neurontin for me. My doctor wrote the script but is unwilling to go to bat for me with insurance, sending me off to a neurologist for more "documentation".

What more do they need? Generic = multiple doctor and hospital visits, Neurontin = better health and few visits to the dr. Which is more cost effective? (Duh!)

Quote Originally Posted by luke00
    Hi.

I have been taking 1200mg of Neurontin 3x daily for nearly 2 years and with little effect (I am taking a whole host of other pain killers to help it out). I realise that 1000mg x3 daily of Neurontin is the maximum recommended dosage.

Pregabalin has just be introduced here in Australia and my pain team have been able to prescribe it for me privately. Instead of paying the normal $4 prescription fee, I pay either AU$85 for 56x75mg capsules or AU$120 for 56x150mg capsules. The doctors are fighting for it to be added to the PBS scheme

In the meantime, not exactly cheap but if it works I will hand over the money with a smile on my face!

As the drug is so new here the Pain Team were able to offer very little advice on common side effects other than the general ones associated with most medication... nausea, dizziness etc.

Also, there is little information on how successful a change from Neurontin to Pregabalin will be.

Finally, the question of dosage is still not exactly known. The pain team have said that any transfer should be on the conservative side and can be increased if needed. they have suggested initially dropping one dose of 1200mg and replacing it with 150mg of Pregabalin. If this works, drop another dose. It is anticipated that the Pregabalin is to be taken 2x daily, instead of 3.
    Pregabalin is supposedly 6-7 times stronger than Neurontin, which means that 150mg falls short of my current Neurontin dose. In saying that, Pregabalin is supposed to be more effective and therefore, in theory I shouldn't need an equivalent dose.

If anyone can offer ANY advice I would REALLY appreciate it, especially anyone who has made the change from Neurontin to Pregabalin.

Thanks
    Luke
    You should try to check an online pharmacy site for drug interactions.

Red face

[quote=luke00]Woooaaahhhh!!! Hang on a minute. We seem to have got side tracked from my initial question.

Basically I have been taking Neurontin (Gabapentin to some of you) and I am about to change to Pregabalin (Lyrica to some of you).

My point was not to start a discussion on the difference in brand names and generic names, although this might make an interesting thread of its own if anyone would like to start it.[End Quote]

Luke- Hi. I think I found the answers you were looking for at: www.globalrph.com/pregabalin.htm
    It looks like Lyrica is absorbed faster as well as in lower doses than the gabapentin (Neurontin). Two of my doctors (one work comp related) and one, my primary care physician have mentioned Lyrica to me now. I am thinking about it, but yes, I better check my insurance coverage unless Work Comp pays for it. I'm in the U.S. (CA).

I suffer from undiagnosed fibromyalgia symptoms. The Work comp case is carpal tunnel and DeQuervain's tendonitis (thumb). Now I feel scapula, shoulder and neck pain. I have a bulging disk in my neck 2mm. I will get an epidural injection in 2 weeks, I believe to my neck. Anyone have experience with this?

Pain Management with Neurontin and/or Lyrica

I was on Neurontin for a short while but it made me so groggy I couldn't wake up until mid-afternoon. I was then switched to Lyrica (about a year and a half ago). Although I'm on a relatively low dose (75mg each night), I started having serious short-term memory problems. After more misplaced items than I could possibly count, missed appointments, forgotten phone messages, etc., I decided to get off the stuff. Unfortunately, I didn't consult my doctor and tried just quitting "cold turkey". Since then, I've had the most bizarre symptoms imaginable -- nausea, diarrhea, headaches, creepy-crawly sensations in my limbs, and worst of all, feeling like I want to jump out of my skin. Needless to say, I'm going back to my doc to help me get off the stuff permanently. I was taking these meds for sciatic nerve pain due to degenerative disk disease in my lower back. Frankly, I've done about as well in managing the pain with heat packs, Lidoderm patches, and a TENS unit. My advice is to be very wary of these meds -- they're bad news! And to the guy who is getting the epidural injections for his bulging disk, be aware that they only work for a few people. They didn't work for me and I don't know anybody else they worked for.

Sorry to hear about your experience, Catslave. They definitely aren't for everyone, but there's a lot of people helped by each of them.

Lyrica has saved my life. Currently I am on 225mgs and will be going up to a therapeutic somewhere in between 400-600mgs. I cannot begin to tell you how much better I feel. I have Fibromyalgia, Lupus, Osteoarthritis and Facet Joint arthritis along with neuroforaminal narrowing...in L4-L5 and L5-S1.

I was on neurontin and it did nothing for me so I tapered off that and when first put on Lyrica I noticed the difference. I also take pain medication but it was the Lyrica that has helped me most. I need to write the makers and tell them they have come out with a wonder drug. I hope your question has been answered. From what my doc tells me the therapeutic dose is anywhere between 400-600mgs.