Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neurontin vs Pregabalin

Neurontin vs Pregabalin

Hi.

I have been taking 1200mg of Neurontin 3x daily for nearly 2 years and with little effect (I am taking a whole host of other pain killers to help it out). I realise that 1000mg x3 daily of Neurontin is the maximum recommended dosage.

Pregabalin has just be introduced here in Australia and my pain team have been able to prescribe it for me privately. Instead of paying the normal $4 prescription fee, I pay either AU$85 for 56x75mg capsules or AU$120 for 56x150mg capsules. The doctors are fighting for it to be added to the PBS scheme

In the meantime, not exactly cheap but if it works I will hand over the money with a smile on my face!

As the drug is so new here the Pain Team were able to offer very little advice on common side effects other than the general ones associated with most medication... nausea, dizziness etc.

Also, there is little information on how successful a change from Neurontin to Pregabalin will be.

Finally, the question of dosage is still not exactly known. The pain team have said that any transfer should be on the conservative side and can be increased if needed. they have suggested initially dropping one dose of 1200mg and replacing it with 150mg of Pregabalin. If this works, drop another dose. It is anticipated that the Pregabalin is to be taken 2x daily, instead of 3.
    Pregabalin is supposedly 6-7 times stronger than Neurontin, which means that 150mg falls short of my current Neurontin dose. In saying that, Pregabalin is supposed to be more effective and therefore, in theory I shouldn't need an equivalent dose.

If anyone can offer ANY advice I would REALLY appreciate it, especially anyone who has made the change from Neurontin to Pregabalin.

Thanks
    Luke

Lyrica

why are yu using the generic name , when its not even offered. It is very expensive in the US .

where no one has gone before...SW Pennsylvania

alternative to neuronton

dear luke,
    i honestly don't see what difference it makes whether you use the brand or generic name. after all, if someone wanted more info on the drug they would be asking they're dr or pharmacist about it abyway. surely SOMEONE would know what we were taolking about, if not there's always the trusty internet, www.webmd.com has a great link to meds and doctors.
    good luck finding someone on that particular med.

sincerely,
    lori

actually people here may know more about these drugs than the pharmacist or local non sci md's.
    there has been a lot of talk here and in other forums about the difference between generic gabapentin vrs name brand neurontin.
    a lot of these generics do not work as well as the name brand.
    the lab in nj that produces most of the generics had some problems with their quality control last year..
    another problem is counterfeit drugs, if your pharmacy buys their drugs from these wholesalers , who know what you are getting.
    cauda equina

Metronycguy.
    Your comment was interesting re: the effectiveness of the generic vs brand name Neurontin(Gabapentin). It might be worth while querying the pharmacy as to where they get their generics from. I have not used the attached pharmacy as I had been using a different pharmacy in Canada. The important thing is that both pharmacies claim they get their drugs from Pfizer. I called the attached and they assured me that Pfizer supplied their Neurontin and Gabapentin. Obviously I cannot speak to their truthfulness but it is pretty much agreed that the Canadians police their drugs as well as we do. http://www.canpharm.com/index.cfm/fu...0U8PS5AES12UL4.

Mike
    mike

I'll pass along my observations from here, and other groups as well, that many people do find the same relief from generic Neurontin as from the name brand. From all the comments, I have to believe this problem extends beyond the issues of conterfeits and QC. The formulas and processes used to make the different versions of the drug are not identical and these factors make a difference in the effectiveness of the medications for some folks. Again and again I've heard people say that switching to gabapentin after the patent expired on Neurontin was a complete failure, like they were suddenly just taking a placebo.

David, I suspect that you are correct that the formulas and processes used for manufacturing the generic vs the brand name are not identical from one manufacturer to another. It would however be interesting if Pfizer produces their Neurontin differently from their Gabapentin. It least that would be interesting if in fact the Canadians are indeed purchasing their Gabapentin from Pfizer. In addition Pfizer is spending big bucks to restrain others from producing Gabapentin without a license to do so from them. http://www.pfizer.com/pfizer/are/inv..._2004_1008.jsp.

I thought that our FDA had some responsibility to ensure that a generic formula was in fact the same as the brand name when the manufacturer, Pfizer in this case, uses the generic name to describe it's formulation.

It is pretty sad when you cannot believe that generics are really not the same as the brand name when people are using these names to look up side effects to protect themselves.
    mike

Exclamation Neurontin vs Pregabalin

Woooaaahhhh!!! Hang on a minute. We seem to have got side tracked from my initial question.

Basically I have been taking Neurontin (Gabapentin to some of you) and I am about to change to Pregabalin (Lyrica to some of you).

My point was not to start a discussion on the difference in brand names and generic names, although this might make an interesting thread of its own if anyone would like to start it.

It is very new here in Australia and not fully licensed, hence being very expensive. This might also be the case in America, I am not sure.

As this website is world wide and not just for U.S. users, I am hoping that someone somewhere might have some information that they can offer on changing over and dosage etc (as per my original post ).

Thanks!

THE docs should be able to get the comparison tables., if they cant they are pretty .. if i gather what you are saying you take 3600 a day of neurontin.
    i take 150 a day of lyrica , i started on 75 a day,, however i started from scratch no neurontin change over.
    i didnt get the sleepiness i experienced when i was on the neurontin
    cauda equina

I Just Got Off Lyrica And Had Worst Sides Ever Blury Vision Headaches Lots Of Confusion Coudent Wait To Get Off The Stuff Sides Took 2 Weeks To Clear My System This Drug Seemed To Bring On Anxiety On The + Side All The Burning In My Feet Was Gone