Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stomach pain

stomach pain

I am a PT and have a patient who has been experiencing abdominal pain for the last 7 weeks. The endoscopy of his stomach showed some ulcerations near the pyloric valve that looked like finger nail scratch marks, but the couldn't find anything else. He is on Nexium and Maalox, but the pain isn't subsiding. The pain is mostly on his left side and increases when lying on his sides which only makes his sacral sore worse. We are battling two things at once and can't fix either one. If anyone has had any similar symptoms or any suggestions please let me know.

stomach pain

I've have stomach pain for about 6 months now and I think it's from my digestion and I'm going to have Urodynamics done to make sure it's not from my bladder. Yes, I've had the other tests done

I have had a pain in my lower left abdomen

for years. I have nearly every test imaginable and still cannot find a cause. I have found that the pain is reduced when I take simethicone because part of the cause is gas.

"And so it begins."

Whenever I have abdominal pain it is due to constipation.

... ...

I've had abdominal pain (among other places) for 21 years. In my case, it's central pain syndrome, as all tests have shown no other possible explanation. How long post-injury did this start?

Has an ultrasound of the abdomen been done, or an upper GI? Either might be worth a try.

Originally posted by TD:

for years. I have nearly every test imaginable and still cannot find a cause.
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. It really only arose after about 11 years post. It limits my sitting tolerance as I get relief by being flat.

I used to feel better laying down, too. Not any more.

Left side pain is usually related to bowel. Could be anything from constipation, to gas, to irritable bowel. Left flank pain could also be related to kidney problems. Both the urine and stool should be checked for blood. There are other possibilities than could be determined by endoscopy of the stomach. (EMK)

Thanks for all the replies. So far we have ruled out any kidney stones or bladder problems, had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, and now an upper GI study with barium. So far no answers!! Any more thoughts, please let me know.

Rule out

Has he had a stomach endoscopy that included taking a specimen for h. pylori culture? Ulcers are associated with chronic h. pylori infection in many people, and treatment is indicated if this is found. Failure to treat this can result in increased risk of future stomach ulcers, as well as increased risk of gastric cancer.

If all possible abdominal pathology (GI, GU, etc.) has been ruled out, you may be dealing with neuropathic visceral pain. This is not as common as other types of neuropathic pain in people with SCI, but it can occur. Treatment is with the same interventions as for other types of neuropathic pain.

(KLD)