Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: MAC or PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    Windows isn't as bad as a lot of people seem to think, but I have definitely become a Mac-addict, and I used to think I wouldn't become one.
    I agree. I had a "close call" the other day . I was considering getting a video iPod for my son for Christmas. I currently have all my CDs ripped to a music server as WMAs and he currently uses a Dell DJ. I was wondering what all the hub-bub was all about so I downloaded and installed iTunes. So far so good, I then ripped my first CD. WTF is the big deal with this piece of s...oftware? I couldn't believe that I needed to manually download and drop album art. I'd have to do this for each of the almost 2000 CDs that I would need to re-rip if I started using iTunes instead of WMP10. The playback also stuttered -- don't now what was causing that -- my machine is tweaked just fine, but that was wierd. I couldn't find a way to change the way iTunes named my ripped files. Sorting by "Album Artist" instead of just "Artist" is a feature in WMP10 that I couldn't live without. I know WMP10's not perfect, but I removed iTunes from my PC and I'll wait for the gen3 DJs. I dodged a bullet on that one...

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    The two-button mouse is ridiculous (in my opinion); the mac has a one-button double-click mouse or trackpad.
    Dr. Young, you have no idea how long it took me to figure out that right click on a PC = CTRL+click on a Mac...and every frustrated Mac user that I've told that to has been eternally grateful, LOL.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Monique
    Dr. Young, you have no idea how long it took me to figure out that right click on a PC = CTRL+click on a Mac...and every frustrated Mac user that I've told that to has been eternally grateful, LOL.

I never knew that either, big props to Wise

I never even thought of that. I've been using macs for so long, CTRL+click was just natural. No wonder you were so frustrated. The first iMac in the house had the hockey puck and it drove Boog crazy. He wouldn't even attempt to turn the thing on.

Do you name your computer? Is so, do you use a female or a male name? Wise.
    My PC is named: ITJUSTWORKS

And it does. So, I'm happy and it's a compromise effort with my mac friend.

Hehe, the Mac is definitely feminine. Do you name your computer? Is so, do you use a female or a male name? Wise.
    Ahh, yes. Computer names. LOL Booger laughed at me for naming mine, til he named his. Then I was told to shut up. I couldn't help but make fun of him, it was too easy.

Bondi iMac Codename "Columbus" by Apple = Bubbles.
    Indigo iMac Sept 2000 version= Yamaha, or Yami for short. Yami was delivered 3 days before my wedding. Our colors were Yamaha Blue and white (Boog picked them. He was even fussy about the correct blue. "No that's the 1998 Snowcat blue, we want the 2000 YZ blue.") Drove me nuts. I said if he's gonna fuss, he's gotta pick it out. He ended up going with me to pick out fabrics, icing colors, anything that involved blue to ensure that I got it right. Can't say the man wasn't involved in wedding planning.
    G4 Powerbook = Ruby. I was into Red at the time.
    My Windoze homebuilt = Scarlett. Still into red.
    Boog's windoze homebuilt = BlueIce.

Jello's windoze box, the dell and the server aren't named anything special as far as I know. I haven't bothered to look at the network in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Monique
    Drove me crazy too. I bought a simple 2-button optical Microsoft mouse (heresy, I know... bite me.) w/ a scroll wheel for < $20. Problem solved. I do use a single-button Apple mouse too...

Scott, you're forgiven LOL

I have learned through medical transcription class, that the mouse is evil and slows down speed. I've made a point to learn keyboard short cuts.

Here's a few of my favorites:
    Apple+Tab= shows you all the programs you have running. While holding down the Apple button, you can repeatedly hit tab to scroll through the open programs. When you stop on the one that's highlighted, that's the one that pops to the front of all other programs.

Apple+H=hide. This hides the active program and all the associated windows. Perfect if you are working on something top secret or have kids popping in unexpectedly while browsing the R/S forum. The program shows up as a ghosted icon in your dock (if you have it in the dock). You can click on it there to reactivate, or do the Apple+Tab to highlight it and reactivate the program. I use hide when I have a lot of windows running in a program and need to clean my desktop for something else that I am working on.

I also browse in tabs in Safari. I have it set up to open new links in emails into a tab in the active window so I minimize the number of separate windows I have open on my desktop. When I want a new window, I hit CTRL+T and get a window nestled with a new tab, instead of CTRL+N which gives me a separate window.

I also use macros, which increase typing speed. I can type HTN and hypertension is spelled out, or PAC for premature atrial contractions. This can be used for other things also, may be helpful for those of you who are hunt/peck typers or those who have difficulty due to injury.
    Last edited by Jadis; 12-10-2005 at 05:00 PM.