Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: MAC or PC?

Pic is backpacking Alaska '93. How about 2012?

MAC or PC?

I’ve always used a PC but my friend is urging me toward MAC as a more reliable, well-integrated, less virus-vulnerable system. Any thoughts?

I’m especially interested in using voice recognition, and in accessing my computer through other monitors and keyboards in different rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by singin_intherain
    I’ve always used a PC but my friend is urging me toward MAC as a more reliable, well-integrated, less virus-vulnerable system. Any thoughts?

I’m especially interested in using voice recognition, and in accessing my computer through other monitors and keyboards in different rooms.
    I use PCs (unfortunately with WinHell -- will be switching to Linux soon now) but go with Mac.
    I don't know enough to comment on V/R for Mac <somebody else please step in>.
    ..."in different rooms" -- why not consider the new 17" G5 laptops?, a lot easier to do.
    ...otherwise would involve at a minimum wiring slaves and switches -- aargh!, I really don't want to get into all the technical details..., but if you really need to, there's a bunch of us that can get together and offer some solutions.

...go with a 17" G5 laptop
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Not much of a friend, imho

MAC as a more reliable, well-integrated, less virus-vulnerable system. Any thoughts?
    All that and more! You're going to have to pay more for a Mac, though, unfortunately. Whether the extra cost is worth it, only you can answer. If you can try out your friend's Mac, that might help you decide, along with some research. I know the Mac operating system has vice recognition built-in, but I've never used it. Check here for more info: http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Hi Singin_intherain,

Awhile ago I was looking on the Internet for an objective comparison between PCs and Macs and I found this website called Mac vs PC Shootout. It ain't easy finding objective comparisons because it seems that everyone is entrenched in their own computer camp. I think this website is fairly objective.... I spent a couple hours there and from the best I can discern the guy who runs the site seems to be an honest fellow and his material reliable. He did however name his website "Mac vs PC" instead of "PC vs Mac" but maybe he flipped a coin and PC lost.

Here's his mission statement:

"What are the Mac vs. PC System Shootouts?"

Several years ago, when Apple first introduced the $799 entry-level iMac G3, I was curious about just how well it stacked up against the competition, in terms of both hardware, software and other total "user experience" areas such as mobility, bulk, and so on. Eventually, I expanded this into other price points from low to high, as well as laptops. More recently, the Shootouts were expanded to also include some specialized, non-price-based comparisons, and finally evolved into the website you're looking at right now.
    Just remember that approximately 90% of all computers are PCs and most run Windows. When you go to Mac you're joining a minority and with that some compatibility problems. Probably none that can't be overcome with a little effort but.....

My first computer was a Mac and it was hard to find games and sims that were compatible with it. Maybe things have changed for the better since then. Trying to find online gaming groups was near impossible.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

I know a lot of peeople that are very adamant in touting their preference as far as PC or Mac. I can honestly say I've never used a Mac, but I know they're far superior to PCs as far as multimedia apps go. I went to a business college where we mostly used Microsoft products (some Unix).

Use what you think will work for you. Unless you're highly specialized, you'll be able to use either to do what you want I'm guessing.

I’m especially interested in using voice recognition, and in accessing my computer through other monitors and keyboards in different rooms.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    I recommended PC when it comes to voice recognition. However, if you can hold off until Apple releases the Mac's with the Intel chip, then you'll probably be able to run both operating systems. Release date is set for the middle of 2006.
    Last edited by PN; 11-13-2005 at 08:32 PM.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I just switched to an Apple last year, I was a little torn between the discussion but now I'm very happy that I choose a PowerBook. For voice recognition I use iListen.
    Dave
    C5/C6 complete
    http://www.davegrotzinger.com
    http://www.daves-webdesign.com

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me guaranteed..." - Eddie Vedder

i have a 4-mac/3-windows/1-linux comp network in my house.

i have a choice which one I want to use since I have both and I always use my mac.

I hate windows with a passion bc I find myself doing more maintenance on them and other people's windows POS that I would rather just use one that works that I don't have to fight with.

Mac it is. All my macs are now running some version of OSX (panther, jaguar, and tiger) and it's much more user friendly if you are not a mac person from day one. Going to OS9 and prior from windows was more of a transition than it is now--thanks to OSX

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Not much of a friend, imho
    Touche! My friend kept touting the Mac. He finally broke down and bought a beauty of a powerbook or something I dont know... G4. After 6 months he plugged a LCD monitor into it under battery power and totaled his display. Its now a desktop. Big price on Apple service.

I crashed every Mac I touched in grad school. One professor let me use his in his office and left me with it. When it crashed it went nuts BONG BONG BONG! I knew the number of the department secretary and called her. She said, "Oh, so that's where that noise is coming from." She came and hit the on/off switch on the back and guided me out of the maze of stacked books. It was a pig trail.

I like Macs, but they have always been different creatures. I finally bought a new machine a year ago and gave it the name: ITJUSTWORKS

It has worked flawlessly. Its a Media Center PC and I can only guess the parts were well matched. I'll probably get a Mac laptop though, would like the Mac desktop for video but am doing fine.

ITJUSTWORKS ... my friend liked that.