Thread: Vietnam and SCI

Vietnam and SCI

entered stamp out paralysis in google and found this, go figure

Since 1993, Vietnam has vaccinated more than 90 percent of the children under one year old and 99 percent of the children aged between from nine months and 10 years old were infected against measles and paralysis in 2002 and 2003.

The information was reported at an interdisciplinary seminar held in Hanoi on Thursday to discuss the implementation of the fight against measles and paralysis.

Addressing the seminar, Deputy Minister of Health Nguyen Thi Xuyen stressed that Vietnam pledged to realise four targets following recommendations of the World Health Organisation (WHO). The four targets are to offer vaccination for over 90 percent of under one-year old children, stamp out paralysis, eliminate infant tetanus, and wipe out measles.

Thanks to open vaccination programmes, the number of children suffering from measles, paralysis and tetanus has reduced remarkably during recent years. Vietnam successfully stamped out paralysis disease in 2000. The country hopes to eliminate tetanus by 2005 and stamp out measles, which causes the highest rate of infant fatality.

http://www.vov.org.vn/2005_01_20/eng...0and%20measles
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Leo,
    the article in effect is saying (I think) that paralysis only comes from polio.
    Don't ignore the Reeve Legacy, Remember he and Dana supported open research and fought hard for ESCR

StemCellBattles

Support H.R. 810

Bob is right, they're obviously referring to polio. Maybe the Viet Namese words for "paralysis" and "polio" are similar or the same.
    ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

WHO and UNICEF had targeted 2002 (and didn't make it due to wars and insurgencies) to vaccinate all children against what is often called "paralytic polio" (wild not from the vaccine). Melinda and Bill Gates Foundation has coughed up mega bcuks to eliminate tetanus and measles world wide. There is now a cool all inclusive tetanus vaccine that is almost like a minaturized version of the MMG O'Neil closed cath system so anyone can deliver the vaccine. Just an alcohol swipe and then puncture the skin and squeeze the little vinyl, McDonald's ketsup size, container. Measles is more difficult I think. And obviously wars try to hold truces so UN workers can get to the kids but they often start shooting again before the truce day is done and the UN people are out of there.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbob
    Leo,
    the article in effect is saying (I think) that paralysis only comes from polio.
    It is saying that paralysis caused by polio or as the Asians like to say acute flaccid paralysis..whatever that means..what causes that..anyway is the ONLY real paralysis that is ABLE to be stamped out TODAY.

To not stamp out polio after 50 years of the ability to do just that is unacceptable..especially to those of us that were born before the vaccine. STAMP it out.
    Because you can.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindox
    It is saying that paralysis caused by polio or as the Asians like to say acute flaccid paralysis..whatever that means..what causes that..anyway is the ONLY real paralysis that is ABLE to be stamped out TODAY.

To not stamp out polio after 50 years of the ability to do just that is unacceptable..especially to those of us that were born before the vaccine. STAMP it out.
    Because you can.
    Whatever, but by their statement that it wipes out paralysis, I wonder if it suggests they are ignoring other forms of paralysis, one would wonder how someone with sci in VietNam would be treated? Might be a good point to address and get world focus on SCI/and other so far incurable forms of paralysis. Kinda like how back in the late 60's I believe they exposed Willowbrook, which was a horror for people with mental illness.

The word "Willowbrook" became synonymous with snakepit institutional care. State Senator William Conklin in the 1060’s had toured the facility and publicly reported on the vile stench and the crude conditions in the facility. Senator Robert Kennedy in 1968 made an unannounced visit and reported that the "wards were less comfortable and cheerful than the cage in which we put animals in the zoo."
    http://www.queenscourier.com/Archive...ead051100b.htm
    Last edited by bigbob; 11-09-2005 at 05:07 PM.
    Don't ignore the Reeve Legacy, Remember he and Dana supported open research and fought hard for ESCR

StemCellBattles

Support H.R. 810

bob,
    From what I have read and viewed and heard from peoples coming from some third and second world countries.

To survive paralysis of any kind..and polio is quite survivable..the comparison of quality of life between those unlucky enough to have been born into a third world community and US..well we should kiss the ground we walk..or roll over.

There are dedicated doctors and practioners trying very hard day in and day out to make a difference for some of these peoples..but not enough. We just don't care enough. And thank God for people like Bill Gates..and governments that truely want to help change the desperate and I mean desperate ways these poor people live. Even sending over used wheelchairs is important..as is anything we can do to bring other worlds paralyzed somewhere at least to the quality of care here in say the 1940's. It's really bad over there.

Lindox, you and I are sharing some common feelings, thats nice to know. I would like to remind you that Treating Doctors/HealthCare workers/Hospital Administrators had known about the facility and it wasn't until Robert Kennedy made it an issue that anything was done about it. The Doctors and the others kept their mouths shut. It wasn't in the stone age either, just a few months before we put a few men on the moon. There still is much work to be done. DA is right, we are too easy on them, we should start and uproar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindox
    bob,
    From what I have read and viewed and heard from peoples coming from some third and second world countries.

To survive paralysis of any kind..and polio is quite survivable..the comparison of quality of life between those unlucky enough to have been born into a third world community and US..well we should kiss the ground we walk..or roll over.

There are dedicated doctors and practioners trying very hard day in and day out to make a difference for some of these peoples..but not enough. We just don't care enough. And thank God for people like Bill Gates..and governments that truely want to help change the desperate and I mean desperate ways these poor people live. Even sending over used wheelchairs is important..as is anything we can do to bring other worlds paralyzed somewhere at least to the quality of care here in say the 1940's. It's really bad over there.
    Last edited by bigbob; 11-09-2005 at 06:35 PM.

StemCellBattles

Support H.R. 810

It wasn't even enough that Robert Kennedy made an announcement, as the article goes on to show how TV COVERAGE creates change

But it was when a young TV reporter for WABC, Geraldo Rivera, who went with his cameras unannounced into Willowbrook, exposed the horror of the place for all to see. His scenes of naked children, unattended and playing with their own excrement, feeding themselves soup with their fingers, crying and wailing in unattended and overcrowded prison-like hallways shocked the nation. Rivera kept up the reporting and Schneps became an activist to close the facility and create a humane alternative. Schneps’ members of the Working Organization for Retarded Children and Adults (WORC) was televised protesting. Parents, including the Schneps’ sued the state in federal court and won a landmark decision and in 1975, Governor Hugh Carey, in one of his first decisions, signed the Willowbrook Consent Judgment promising to drastically change the way people who are mentally retarded are cared for.

StemCellBattles

Support H.R. 810

bob,
    I remember this whole thing quite well.
    I do think though one of the main problems with the fight for the cure of paralysis is the paralyzed themselves.

Never have you heard anyone say..No need for a cure for AIDS. No need for a cure for cancer. Or alzheimers..or parkinsons..or and the list goes on.

The only divisive cure group involves paralyzed peoples. And that is a major problem.

If the medical advances of today were available at the time Willowbrook was in the limelight..I can almost guarantee that the paralyzed would have been UNITED to the core. At that time there was no accessibility..or curb cut-outs..or new age breathing apparatus..or a mindset of I am paralyzed hear me roar. The mindset was "Get Normal".

It is wonderful for the care advances..just wonderful.
    But to have half of the paralyzed population in a mindset that no more is necessary..will leave the entire population with NO more unless this changes.

THe reason people did and do things that others find above and beyond what is expected is because then and even now there is no choice really. Except to give up.
    And that wasn't the majorities choice then.

So if you want something..the majority must follow your wants or you are fighting with yourself.
    And when something is survivable..just like poverty..you will not get the attention that Aids, cancer and alzheimers gets..you have to make the attention and you have roadblocks with those that find
    if would be a travesty if the world no longer had MD..and other diseases. Or those ever strong..able to conquer anything paralyzed people that are so inspiring. The problem is WE can conquer almost anything except paralysis.

Of course one can survive and even prosper for quite sometime being paralyzed..even severely. But what it is doing to your body and to your future is the travesty. Take my word for one thing..it isn't going to get better by itself..as a matter of fact it just keeps on taking and taking until there is nothing left.

And the world will expect you almost command you to hold your head up high..and smile and take it.
    And you will..unless EVERYONE gets together in ONE mindset and gambles..and changes it. Tell me one thing..What the hell do you have to loose?