Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCI Stamp

SCI Stamp

I was in the post office yesterday and noticed there was a fight breast cancer stamp among others like this a person can buy for $.45 cents. Sounds like a good way to go after SCI funds also.

Comments...?
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Hi Stylin,

Your right, it's a great idea and Patricia and others were looking into and working on it. I think it may have got dropped in priorities cuz of to few horses to pull so many wagons. i found this oold post from Wise,

I was sitting in the audience of a meeting held to kick off and celebrate "Stamp Our Paralysis Week" today. Organized by the Central Jersey Spinal Cord Injury Association, headed by Kevin Hoagland, almost all the elected leaders of Middlesex Country in New Jersey showed up to praise and support the decision by the U.S. Post Office to support the "Stamp out Paralysis" program. For those of you living in New Jersey, when you send any mail out from 40 post offices in this postal region of New Jersey, the letter or postcard will have the cancellation stamp saying "Central Jersey Spinal Cord Association. Research, Support & Compassion" for the next 30 days. I am using it to send postcards to all my representatives from the district, urging them to support spinal cord injury research.

Wise.
    ----------------------------------------
    imo, if a small work group could network with the folks above and others who looked at this before. they could come up with a plan and this could be a realativly quick achievable project that would make a great impact.

i can't be in that group but can help a tad
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

I'll do what I can also...
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

What about a Christopher Reeve stamp? Tribute to him and funds all in one stamp. I think people would be more likely to purchase it. Like with the breast cancer stamp, MOST everyone knows someone who has/had breast cancer, so you don't have to put a face with it. They already HAVE the face they associate with it in mind. Not everyone knows someone with SCI.
    Last edited by WM; 11-08-2005 at 03:59 PM.
    "I just want you to know, it was the best time ever." J.F.F.

WM, I like your idea, however, I don't know how his family will feel about it. They may want the proceeds for themselves to distribute as they wish through their foundation. Lately Dana has been cozying up with politicians I'm not too fond of. I could see a large chunk of the money going to campaigns of those she's hob nobbing with now.

I'd prefer to see the money going straight into a fund for trials or ESC research.

Chris Reeve was a big figure, but he did much to infuriate the SCI professionals all around the country. I'd be afraid Dana would continue in his footsteps bungling our efforts by throwing the money in the wrong places.

You make some good points Stylin'. Very true. I wonder what would be good for a stamp like that. Maybe more focus on a word graffic than a pic graffic? I just don't know. I'm not creative like that. Who decides/designs it? The postal service?

That's a good question... who designs it? I would guess the org that is pushing for the stamp.

I would think a good logo would be a variation of someone's idea here, but using the typical wheelchair logo you see on all the handicapped signs in parking lots and applying a red circle with a slash over that logo. This would essentially symbolize "no wheelchairs" but upon closer inspection people would find it to mean "no more wheelchairs."

Pretty much everyone is familiar with that symbol so it would be instantly recognizable. The big hurdle would be getting the OK to use it I suspect. If they wouldn't allow us to use it we could fry them in the media till they gave in.

Yes, that's a good visual!

Ouch though, I think the even higher hurdle would be getting approval. I (wrongly) assumed it would be totally in the hands of the USPS. Apparently, its not. I didn't think it would be EASY, but I didn't think it would be this HARD either!

http://hdusps.esecurecare.net/cgi-bi...i=&p_topview=1

There is already a petition in motion to create a "Paralysis Awareness Stamp" here.

http://www.liferollson.org/site/apps...1OBJbKLI5NQLvF

I'll be! I can't believe that's never been posted here before! Thanks toots! I signed it!