Thread: Do all paras eventually move to a power chair?

Do all paras eventually move to a power chair?

I've been pushing myself around in a manual chair for 24 years and surprise, surprise, my shoulders are starting to ache. Is there any way to prevent shoulder problems short of getting a power chair?

Does Medicare even pay for a power chair as a preventative? I doubt it. I'm guessing my shoulders will need to get really bad before they would approve it?

Unfortunately, many people with paraplegia find that as they get older they may need a power chair. This may be due to damage to shoulders over the years, or due to development of new medical problems associated with aging such as cardiac or pulmonary problems or regular arthritis.

We are now doing more teaching of people with SCI about how to protect their shoulders and other vulnerable joints from the first day of rehab. We hope that in the long run this will prevent many of these problems. Even if you already have problems, starting a program of joint preservation and exercise (under the direction of an experienced SCI OT or PT) may help to reduce your shoulder pain and limitations caused by this.

Medicare may approve your power chair if justification is based largely on your inability to do ADLs/self care and get around your home. The are less concerned about pain or community mobility. Although we know the latter two are very important, slanting the justfication letter to the former will help a lot. It would help to have this letter written together by your SCI physician and SCI PT or OT.

(KLD)

Thanks. I happen to have an appointment with my doctor on Thursday so I will talk to her about PT.

Power Chair

I had a preexisting shoulder problem, thus my hospital rehab OT wrote a letter of medical need to my insurance company. I got the power chair. I was nearing Medicare age and wanted go through my insurance company rather than hassel with Medicare.

Check out these wheels that offer power assist.
    http://frankmobility.com/
    I'm going to get a set of these to help me get up ramps and such. I'm a C-5 quad with enough strength to push on flat land, but I have a very hard time with hills and uneven terrain. I've heard very good things about these wheels. I even started a thread to get some user opinions off this web site. And I've recently heard from several of my friends that have tried them that they worked excellent. That way you don't have to get a big bulky power chair. That's the reason I'm getting them. Good luck!

www.AZquad.com
    www.Leedensport.com

Thanks Rybread. I'm going to look into that further.

I'm wondering if Medicare covers the power assist wheels?

power wheels

Beaker,
    I replied to rybread regarding the Fankmobility e-motion wheels the 1st day mine were installed on my manual quickie and they are amazing. I've now had them a week or so and my shoulders are already feeling better. I'm C-7 35 years and wish I would have gotten them sooner as I pretty much destroyed my shoulders, especially the right one, pushing the manual, transfering etc. My doctor thinks they are better than a standard electric because you still keep your upper body moving. They just take a bit of gettiing used to. An overnight charge keeps it going all day where I work at a courthouse. Just don't forget the wheelie bars as I learned the 1st day. It goes over backwards before you know it even on low power. I don't know about medicare, worker's comp bought mine because I ruptured my rotator cuff at work. Could have done it just as easy at home so I got a break that way

Whiterabbit were there warning signs before you ruptured your rotator cuff or did one sudden movement cause the tear? I'm C6/7 29 years and find my left shoulder is beginning to ache more frequently.

warning signs

Beckman,
    I was getting some aches and pains in both shoulders, especially my right. I went to a G.P.who told me I "pulled a muscle". About 3 weeks later it snapped while transfering from a car. It hurt like hell and went to an orth.Dr.who ordered an MRI which confirmed the superspinatus rupture. He advised against surgery and after about a year most of the pain was tolerable. I went to another one years later and he said he'd scope it and clean it up to relieve more pain and no down time. When I woke up he said "good news" I found the ends of the tendon and re-attached it. That just made it worse and about six months later the whole thing cratered and now it's completely gone. He's now trying to sell me a shoulder replacement but I don't think so. WR