Thread: Mattress Plastic Cover

Mattress Plastic Cover

The cover to prevent accidents over my mattress is causing road maps and near sores. How do you guys do it? I cover mattress with plastic cover, then put sheets on top of cover. But still the plastic crinkles and hurts my skin. Any thoughts or product selection welcome. Thanks, Mike (Florida)
    Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

Do a search for Allergy Control Products. They have mattress covers designed for allergy protection. They have a thin plastic membrane covered with soft cotton that might meet your needs. They used to send samples out when requested. JC Penney(online)has waterproof mattress covers as well that might be a little kinder to the skin.

The Company Store has loads of different mattress covers including one that does not use vinyl as the waterproofer. They also have a fantastic selection of quilts and flannel sheets for winter.

They also participate in IGive. IGive is a mall of online stores including JC Penny, Target, JJill and just about every other store you can think of but Nordstroms. A portion of each purchase made goes to the charity of your choice. I'll post the link under announcements and ask it be made a sticky.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Why not just use chucks over your sheet under your butt?
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

I would agree that using a product that has a waterproof backing but a top layer with something softer would provide less crinkle andmore comfort. I agree that Company Store has great products but might be a bit pricey.

AAD

mike, you could leave the plastic on top of the mattress and then put a few chucks on top of those to absorb any fluids. But remember to of course cover it with a sheet. However, I think plastic can make you sweat and reduce some of the cushioning effect of the mattress so I don't use the plastic cover, but I arrange a few chucks on top of the mattress under the spot where my butt would be, then cover the bed with a 2" eggcrate foam pad, then cover the bed with a basic thin mattress pad, then the fitted sheet goes on, then I have 2 layers of sheepskin pads (real sheepskin rug) that I sleep on. Something very much like this http://rugsusa.com/noname2135.html. For $79 it could literally save your ass. It reduces friction and shearing that can rub and tear the skin. Kind of sounds like a club sandwich! I never really blew a condom when I had that type of bladder management setup, now I cath during the day but insert an intermittent catheter for the night and there's no way I could leak anyway. I sleep about 7 hours on my back and turn for 2 more hours on my side. No red marks, no leaks but plenty of snoring.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    I would agree that using a product that has a waterproof backing but a top layer with something softer would provide less crinkle andmore comfort. I agree that Company Store has great products but might be a bit pricey.

AAD
    They can be. I always check the sale/outlet section first. Or try finding the product you need from their description at Walmart or a discount house. And when they do have major sales like their yaerly down quilt event IGive does send out an email announcement. No, I don't own stock in the company. But early on I found that even the plastic edge on chuks leave wrinkles in my skin so that first 2 year period when the old bod was adjusting that one kind of mattress pad saved my skin and sanity (it is washable).
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.