Thread: More SSA issues

More SSA issues

i know my saga never seems to end. the ss dept is keeping my checks as of now til they figure the overpayment of 50K which has gone done to 45K as they've been keeping my check since may.
    i went to the office and spoke with the ssa man and we're working on my expenses i pay out of pcket for my pca and do not pay taxes he said no one would be reported i just need a letter from her

does anyone have anything they would like to share in this experience i think cass said she was working and taking out her expenses

please help i went to my ILC and they told me to do what i'm doing they didn't have an expense 'report'
    thanks again

-going through my savings

Hi Afraid, sorry for all of your troubles. I've lost track of your situation, but I thought you were reinstated on SSDI, no?

Anyway, before your savings are gone, I'd contact a SS lawyer and I'm sure he/she could get things straightened out pretty quickly. Don't know how much it'd cost ya, but there's lots of them in the yellow pages.

Good luck friend...
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

go to that brain talk ssdi forum and post a\messge,in the subjest ask for liams or davids help, they are retired or still work for SSDI. they are the most knowledgable i have seen on SSDI.
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by Afraid
    i went to the office and spoke with the ssa man and we're working on my expenses i pay out of pcket for my pca and do not pay taxes he said no one would be reported i just need a letter from her

-going through my savings
    DO NOT give the SSA anything signed by anyone without talking to a lawyer first. Go to Legal Aid if you have to. You will basically be giving them enough information to hang you with if you pay her as an employee and do not withhold SSA and Medicare taxes plus income taxes in some states from her paychecks. You need to understand the difference between an employee and a self employed contractor. Anyone that you pay more than $1,000 a quarter has to be reported s an employee on your income taxes. Then they need to match your info with hers. If you aren't withholding and she isn't paying in then you are the guilty party normally.

I'm no lawyer but I read all th IRS stuff on disability, domestic servants such as houssekeepers and PCAs and medical expenses for accessibility versus adds to the value of your house areas of the tax code after I hit quadhood.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

How should one report a PCA salary?
    Is it like a waitress job?

It's tax deductible? Under a medical expense? What if you don't work? Do you still file with the IRS?

We need a financial section.

Yikes!!!
    Last edited by Liz321; 11-06-2005 at 10:11 AM.

Liz, I think you just need to have her sign a 10-99. This makes her pretty much a "sub contractor" legally, and she has to cover all her taxes, workers comp, and such. It'll absolve you of any involvement.

I'm just an ex plastering contractor, but that's how I used to do it.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf
    Liz, I think you just need to have her sign a 10-99. This makes her pretty much a "sub contractor" legally, and she has to cover all her taxes, workers comp, and such. It'll absolve you of any involvement.

I'm just an ex plastering contractor, but that's how I used to do it.
    Yup. RDF pretty much has it. The added stuff of her being a medical expense is where trouble could come up. The IRS has some good booklets on the entire employer versus sub-contractor, independently employed types.

Liz, it depends on how much income from any source you have. Your nearest CIL should have some info too.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.