Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dream job and Why?

Dream job and Why?

There was an interesting program on A&E last night that was called "Random 1". Essentially a team of people looking to do something good for others goes around the country trying to help people achieve certain goals or improve their lives. It's all done for free.

One example of this profiled was a corporate employee, a woman, who from being tired and unfilfilled as a systems analyst in an large corporate environment wanted to work for a smaller non-profit org. The team got her an interview and ultimately a job offer was made to her. Its now up to her to quit her highly paid corporate job with no personal fulfillment versus a much lower paying job in a very fulfilling non-profit environment.

So, it got me thinking. Have you given yourself permission to pursue your dream job? And if so, what is it? Why?

My dream job would be to race Motocross, but since that's what put me in a wheelchair to start with, that wouldn't work out that well for me.

I had my dream job,i got paid quite handsomely for camping out,climbing trees and driving big trucks.It was what i had dreamt of as a kid..

now though,im at a loss as that life is the only one ive known.I got my GED and had enrolled for classes this fall but man,i just dont know if i can do it,i dont know if i could ever be that happy again doing anything else...but now im rambling.

Assuming handsome rewards for helping George Clooney wash his back is taken, right?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Brad - I was a pro bmx'er as well back in the late 70's, early 80's. It was cool as a teenager but as an adult? There's nothing else you'd rather do? Deeper, more meaningful goals?

Shaun - funny that you responded as I had you in mind when I wrote this. And I don't doubt for a second that you were happy doing what you were doing. Sorry dude. However, have you ever, since you're exploring options, thought of taking a personality/career assessment test that might point you in a direction that could give you some similar enjoyment / fulfillment?

B - I hear he needs a manicurist.

But seriously, think a little harder, not just the first thing that pops in your head..
    Last edited by Chris Chappell; 11-03-2005 at 05:58 PM.

my dream job would be directing movies, but i would also like to be a M.D.

Yes actually i did Chris..it turned out that social work/counceling and that sorta thing ranked highest,but now that ive had a few months to think about it..i just dont know about that,it just doesnt feel right..

but i may have a part time gig for the winter now and do the assesment again in the spring.Maybe i need to go against my principles and be a little more serious with it this go round..

I do so long for the bush life..

Chris. I was an engineer, travelling all over the world building oil platforms, I was happy with that, had a lot of interesting tasks and working together with peoples from other nations. Had a lot of spare time which I used to enjoy doing sports, outdoor life and other hobbies… Well, I kind of know what you ask, something “deeper” some job to help people more direct in a way, that kind of a job… Well I guess there are many jobs I would have liked, and after a trauma etc. many peoples wants to work in more direct contact with other peoples. If I could have picked a job directly out of the sky it would have been a neurosurgeon working with children’s problems, but it doesn’t work that way. At least I would have to go back to school for another 15 years and above that my SCI would not have allowed my to do so, and if by the time I was done studying I would have been an retired anyway. Well I also know it is possible to help people in our daily life, and I try to do as best I can… I’m also glad I had those years before I got SCI, believes that helps a lot and thereby I also have great empathy for young persons that ends up in this situation. Leif

I wanted to be a social worker forever when I was younger. When I acquired TM at age 12, the hospital's social worker used to let me go down to her office at night (on her own time) and use the phone to call my parents since they were an hour away and it was long distance - on her office bill - 7pm Wednesdays.

She was the most non-threatening, warm and comfortable person I saw during that whole experience. She was never negative, authoritative or judgemental. Too young to understand what was ahead of me, I usually chatted about friends, school and how much I missed the pets at home. lol It took me years to figure out what I should have been talking about ..

Now that I've been a dispatcher for police, I've found I read a lot of true crime books and I always pay special attention to what the criminal psychologists say ... I think that would be the ultimate job. What I dislike is the expression, 'What a loser, zero, stump.' I believe in my signature.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    it turned out that social work/counceling and that sorta thing ranked highest,but now that ive had a few months to think about it..i just dont know about that,it just doesnt feel right..
    Call me crazy but I see personal trainer or physiotherapist ... hey why not?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12