Thread: Urodynamics Test Questions

Urodynamics Test Questions

My husband C5 post 3 years has his first Urodynamics test yesterday since rehab in early 2003....He has had UTI's like every three weeks..well two weeks on antibiotics week three urine starts clouding then the catheter gets that milky looking stuff and sure enough we get his urine run and he has another infection. The cultures come back with e-coli and seratia (sp). I wonder if sometimes the the Dr just prescribes Cipro which I don't think treats both.

Well we had the Urodynamics test and they said the pressure did not exceed 40 but he did have a couple of bumps in the reading and they filled his bladder to 400cc. We meet with the Dr next week for results but can anybody tell me what this means... I think she said the times the pressure went up he was having a spasm in his bladder. Do non sci individuals have spasms in their bladder...He does have feelings sometimes that he has to pee it can vary from 2 hours to 6 hours....we cath every 6 hours unless he has a feeling and often urinates in the bed at night before the IC is due.....

Any info would be appreciated

Aspen,

Urine cultures tell specifically what antibiotics will treat the specific organism so hopefully your doctor is waiting for the culture result to give the correct most effective antibiotic. There are treatment failures and infrequently you have to take 2 courses of antibiotics to eradicate the infection. If your husband gets these frequently, you might consider getting a urine culture a few days after antibiotics are complete to see if the infection has cleared.

Re: urodynamics, here is a good link. If you still have questions, feel free to ask.
    http://carecure.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-3322.html

AAD

Quote Originally Posted by Aspen
    He does have feelings sometimes that he has to pee it can vary from 2 hours to 6 hours....we cath every 6 hours unless he has a feeling and often urinates in the bed at night before the IC is due.....

The person who came up with every 6 hour caths should be shot. Even if your husband is watching his fluid intake most of us store fluid in our legs during the day since we aren't running around in the AB world. So more urine shows up at night. Might try setting an alarm for 3 hours after he goes to sleep and then do a cath again (continue the one right before bed). If he has a decent volume after 3 hours then maybe try a condom cath at night as long as his presssures are ok. If not and he follows a set fluid pattern he may need a mid night cath also.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Thank you both...very helpful information.
    Sue...We have oth wondered where the larger volumes come from at night because sometimes those are have the most. Noone has ever shared that info...thanks for shedding some light!

Thank you both...very helpful information.
    Sue...We have oth wondered where the larger volumes come from at night because sometimes those are have the most. Noone has ever shared that info...thanks for shedding some light!
    People with SCI also don't produce enough of a hormone that reduces night time urine production. Not sure how that works but I tried a half dose spray of a medicine made to stop child bed wetters and I quit producing much urine day or night. My urologist stopped that one. I can tell when I need to go so wake up. It just gets very tiring cathing at 3am.

And like Ann said, UTIs will make you leak at times. For me it depends on the bacteria. Thankfully it's one I rarely get. Hmmm Haven't had it in years now that I think of it. Sometimes it takes being a bit of a pain with the doc about needing both a UA and a C&S. I know I get symptomatic well before the 100,000 bacteri count most labs use to go on and do a culture and sensitivity. If your doc has a script ready in less than 48 to 72 hours he's not getting sensitivities done on which drug is needed to kill a particular bacteria.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

My husband C5 post 3 years has his first Urodynamics test yesterday since rehab in early 2003....He has had UTI's like every three weeks..well two weeks on antibiotics week three urine starts clouding then the catheter gets that milky looking stuff and sure enough we get his urine run and he has another infection. The cultures come back with e-coli and seratia (sp). I wonder if sometimes the the Dr just prescribes Cipro which I don't think treats both.

Well we had the Urodynamics test and they said the pressure did not exceed 40 but he did have a couple of bumps in the reading and they filled his bladder to 400cc. We meet with the Dr next week for results but can anybody tell me what this means... I think she said the times the pressure went up he was having a spasm in his bladder. Do non sci individuals have spasms in their bladder...He does have feelings sometimes that he has to pee it can vary from 2 hours to 6 hours....we cath every 6 hours unless he has a feeling and often urinates in the bed at night before the IC is due.....

Hello
    I was going thru the same deal forever when my g/f was doing my cath's, then i practiced until i could do it myself and not one UTI since july 04.
    We were doing the sterile method when she was doing them, but..................who knows i was comptemplating buying shares in CIPRO i had so many UTI's

GOOD LUCK hope you get it sorted out.