Thread: One Year Update

One Year Update

It has been approximately one year since I found care cure. My brother-in-law (Meredith) is one year and three days post injury. He has a level C 3/4 injury. He has made some amazing progress with sip'n puff equipment while in rehab. As a matter-of-fact Meredith has not been home since his accident. He is currently in a VA hospital in Virginia. This past year has been difficult with triumphs and set backs. His wife and my sister (Kathy) has chronicled the experience and I encourage you to go their website and read about Meredith www.meredithnicolls.com

Currently Meredith is having a major set back. He ran a fever for two weeks and they are finally treating him for a kidney infection and it appears as if he has a small kidney stone. They have cut back or stopped many medications because the doctors are concerned that the fevers are also medicine induced. He continues to have fevers and is frequently despondent.

I hope to call on SCI warriors for support during this distressing time. Any and all wisdom will be welcomed. Thanks for listening.

Rose

I am just about the same level your brother-in-law is. My health progressed quickly but for return, I got nothing back. But perhaps he is different. I hope he gets better!

Hopefully he will start feeling better once they get that stone out of there. Stones are a common cause of recurrent UTIs.

Why has he been in the hospital so long? Is he ventilator dependent? Are there discharge plans in place? Even for the VA, a year is a very long time to be in rehab after a new injury.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 11-03-2005 at 10:47 AM.

SCI Nurse

Meredith spent several months at Shephard. It seems as if the process at the VA has been slow. They have had discharge planning meetings, but seems as if something (wheelchair needing adjusting, brief illnesses, and on and on ....) has held back that actually happening. It looks like this latest set back will put going on home on hold for awhile.

Rose

Out of curiosity which hosptial in VA. I live near the one in Salem.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Meredith is at McGuire in Richmond, VA

I'm at the same level that your brother in law is. I hope he's getting better.