Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avoiding vaccines

Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/a...lomyelitis.htm

Basically, it is damage to the myelin sheath as a result of an autoimmune reaction to a virus or vaccine. Anything that gets the immune system going can do it, but the odds are downright miniscule. The damage caused is identical to the effects of MS but the mechanisms that cause it differ. ADEM is acute and monophasic - so if anything changes with me, it will be for the better - while MS is chronic and progressive. So in short my wiring is intact, but the insulation has been stripped away. Symptomatically I am virtually indistinguishable from a T10-T12 paraplegic in every way (with the exception of my left hand weakness, which allows me to play quad rugby).

In my case they knew it was the flu shot that did it because I went to the ER about four days after getting it. Post hoc ergo propter hoc was good enough proof as any, as I was healthy as anything up until that day (I had just run a marathon the week before the shot in fact). The neurologists took one look at my MRIs and saw in my medical record that I had just received the shot and the case for the cause was closed.
    Last edited by rmpage; 01-23-2006 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rmpage
    In my case they knew it was the flu shot that did it because I went to the ER about four days after getting it. Post hoc ergo propter hoc was good enough proof as any, as I was healthy as anything up until that day (I had just run a marathon the week before the shot in fact). The neurologists took one look at my MRIs and saw in my medical record that I had just received the shot and the case for the cause was closed.
    RMpage, no one did a spinal tap (lumbar puncture) on you? This was a military hospital? Geez, they like todo them just for practice it seemed to me.

Hope to see you in Baltimore in July for the Rare Immunological Disorders Symposium.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Actually they did three spinal taps while I was still in the ER, the first one right after I tried to take a piss and realized I couldn't. All of them showed increasingly high WBC at hourly intervals. The MRI was performed several hours later, right after I was moved to the ICU after respiratory failure and intubation.

What is this symposium you mention? It might be interesting. I don't know anybody else who has had this stuff, and only one neurologist I've met knows anything about it.

Actually they did three spinal taps while I was still in the ER, the first one right after I tried to take a piss and realized I couldn't. All of them showed increasingly high WBC at hourly intervals. The MRI was performed several hours later, right after I was moved to the ICU after respiratory failure and intubation.

What is this symposium you mention? It might be interesting. I don't know anybody else who has had this stuff, and only one neurologist I've met knows anything about it.
    Check out:

http://www.myelitis.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1312

at the Transverse Myelitis Association site. TM, ADEM, ON, etc are all well known there.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Wow, thanks for that. I might have to get down there and check it out.

Wow, thanks for that. I might have to get down there and check it out.
    If at all interested I would sign up for the quad-list as Jim Lubin is the list owner and has TM. Jim is also the one who does all the IT stuff using sip n puff morse code to write his stuff. He can talk and use voice recognition but prefers morse.. The quald-list will be filling up with who is going, prices of dofferent hotels and whee they are and if light rail goes to the conference hotel from them.

The symposiums are for doctors, RNs, OT, PTs, etc, who want the CME's and to learn how to diagnosis these things in the ER when possible and the best current treatments when not. People come from around the world, I mean patients, docs, families. For those who cannot make it they put the entire thing on VHS and DVD now. But the experience for someone who knows nothing about what this weird disease they have is the conference and meeting others with the same weird conditions is a real spirit lifter. Hope to see you there. Sue P.

I had a hepatitas shot (second in the series) 10 days before my infarct at T-6. Anyone with something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lookingup
    I had a hepatitas shot (second in the series) 10 days before my infarct at T-6. Anyone with something like that?
    If I remember correectly Cody Unser had a Hep A vaccine a week or two before she was diagnosed with TM.

I had an infarct at C4 and hadn't had a vaccine in 7 years for anything. Is there any history of artherial sclerosis in your family? Just curious.

I do think that anyone who is diagnosed with TM or anything like it soon after a vaccine should ask their doctor to report it to the CDC or the equivalent disease control agency in your country. It's about the only way we'll learn if some vaccines cause problems and if so, what kind and if the risk is worth the chance of the disease in the population again.