Thread: Shoulder Surgery?

Shoulder Surgery?

I have been experiencing a lot of shoulder pain as of late. I haven't been to the Dr. yet because of fears that he might suggest shoulder surgery and I have heard a lot of horror stories concerning the surgery and the recvovery!! The pain has gotten so it is limiting the everyday things or making simple things extremely painful. About a year and a half ago I saw a Physical Therapist and she said that I had rotator cuff damage at that time. I took the suggestions of different exercises to do and also went with a manual assist chair. Needless to say the exercises and chair haven't helped.

What are some of your experiences with shoulder pain & or surgery?

What's next?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

ND_Wheeler
    C7-T1 Complete 22+ years

Quote Originally Posted by ND_Wheeler
    I have been experiencing a lot of shoulder pain as of late. I haven't been to the Dr. yet because of fears that he might suggest shoulder surgery and I have heard a lot of horror stories concerning the surgery and the recvovery!! The pain has gotten so it is limiting the everyday things or making simple things extremely painful. About a year and a half ago I saw a Physical Therapist and she said that I had rotator cuff damage at that time. I took the suggestions of different exercises to do and also went with a manual assist chair. Needless to say the exercises and chair haven't helped.

What are some of your experiences with shoulder pain & or surgery?

What's next?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

ND_Wheeler
    C7-T1 Complete 22+ years
    are u iceing it, that really helps
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County
    I suggest you see a doctor ASAP, before it turns into a full-blown rip. Surgery isn't always necessary. I recently experienced severe shoulder pain, and through physical therapy it is much better. My shoulder only hurts now if I do not do my stretches, or over exert myself.

Physical therapy has come a long way.

You may also want to re-examine your daily routines. In my case, my new wheelchair was the culperate. I had to have the "dump" removed. That and the PT helped my shoulder heal in about 3 months.

I know it hurts. I hope you start feeling better soon.

PT, ice, exercise, anti-inflammatory meds, etc. are all good, however, sometimes surgical intervention is necessary. I had surgery to repair a torn bicep tendon this past March. The limitations on movement to allow healing after the surgery are a royal pain. I am more than happy to pass on any tips/tricks I used to survive post surgery. If you have specific questions I can try to answer them.

JP

Hi ND_Wheeler,

If you do need surgery try to find a surgeon who can do it laparoscopically. If that's possible for a torn rotor cuff. They're able to do more and more surgical procedures this way. It's just a couple perhaps three very small incisions and the healing time in cut manifold compared to conventional surgery. At least ask about it.

Best of luck.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Hi,
    As you all know, shoulder injuries are very common and painful in SCI patients due to "walking on your hands" for so long. There are many causes and treatments as everyone has said. I would agree to see an experienced sCI orthopedic doctor- let him or her give you all the options, so you can make the best choice for you. PT, ice, rest, etc may be sufficient treatment for you right now but you'll never know the true extent of your problem without a thorough examination. Don't put it off.