Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standing Frame

Standing Frame

An engineer friend said he would design and build me a standing frame. Several questions have risen:
    1. When standing upright should the user be leaning slightly forward towarda the frame?
    2. Are foot chalks or other means of blocking the feet necessary?
    3. If your standing frame was built for you, do you have the plans?
    4. Any advice for building a standing frame?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Plans for making your own standing frame

Someone posted a website some time back that showed how to make your own standing frame. A search would definitely be a good idea.

"And so it begins."

I am not a medical professional. But I have found that for me, anything soft which presses under my knees functions as a standing frame. A walker for stability and something to lean my knees against, and I'm in business. Note that I am T5 complete, and have worked at it a long time to be able to do this on my own (with the help of my family and my laborador.)

I would HIGHLY recommend consulting your physical therapist if you havent' stood in some time. Typically people will begin to stand in degrees on a tilt table, for small portions of time, gradually increasing. Their heart rate and blood pressure are monitored.

Standing Frame

Foster, thanks a lot for the site. I down loaded their plans. FYI we're using PVC pipe to keep the frame light, but sturdy. I'm no engineer, but my friend is and has his automotive engineer neighbors lending a hand. I'll keep y'all abreast of this undertaking.

Waza - any update?

I'm toying with the idea of building the SF in the linked plan. I can pull myself upright, but I'm thinking it would be good to have a padded hinged bar (or something) to push against my butt to help keep me upright with knees locked.

Any thoughts? All ideas welcome.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Before you stand, you really need to get medical clearance, especially if it has been more than a few months since your injury. Then, gradually increase the amount of time spent standing. You can start with 30-60 minutes, depending on your tolerance and add 15 minute increments.

CKF

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Before you stand, you really need to get medical clearance, especially if it has been more than a few months since your injury. Then, gradually increase the amount of time spent standing. You can start with 30-60 minutes, depending on your tolerance and add 15 minute increments.

CKF
    Thanks for your advice. I find that doctors look to me to guide them on what I should and should not do, then they write it down and send me a bill.

Does anybody have any construction suggestions.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

You should probably have a dexa scan before you stand. You don't want to end up with any long bone fractures.
    CKF

Blog Entries

This could not ring more true.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Thanks for your advice. I find that doctors look to me to guide them on what I should and should not do, then they write it down and send me a bill.
    This is the exact reaction I so often get.