Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "?" for Roho Quadtro users

"?" for Roho Quadtro users

So I'm demo'ing a Roho quadtro highprofile;

Started back to work, old cushion wasn't cutting it, wound up with my old pressure sore reappearing plus the start of another on the other cheek. @#$% Took a couple days off, things started getting better but can't stay down for too long, just restarted the job.

Using the Roho for a week or so now, sores still seem to be receding even though I've been going to work(still only 1/2 days for now), yeehah. Gonna be mad at myself for wasting a year of my life on the wrong cushion if this "cures" me.

On to my question; do you "lock" the air chambers or let them flow? Seems like letting it flow completely is the better idea. Did almost launch myself out of the chair sideways first time I leaned way over to "drop my drawers" when the air "whooshed" out of that side. But I am getting used to it now. I don't really need the "positioning" feture of locking the chambers so have been letting them flow.

Any ideas of right or wrong use of this thing?
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Hi McDuff,

I've been using the ROHO Quadtro for a little more than a year now. Although, it resolved the pressure issues I started to experience almost 29 years post I really have a love/hate relationship with this cushion. When it's properly inflated, it's great. When it's not, it's a pain in the ass, literally . It seems to require constant fiddling. They tried to change the cover design which failed miserably, but I think they've resolved that with the test cover they have me trying right now.

As far as being locked or not, I usually keep the cells locked, but after setting what I think is the correct pressure, I transfer out and flatten the chambers equally then lock the chambers before transferring back in. I find that if I adjust the pressure then lock the chambers, without first transferring out, there is a lot of pressure right where the back chambers meet the front chambers since my ass has a tendancy to drop lower than my thighs when adjusting the pressure.

I found that converting a blood pressure cuff to a pressure gauge helps me get the pressure set, but not always . I wish that ROHO would design the valve so when air is pumped into the cushion it went into each of the 4 chambers simultaneously. It would help a guage read the pressure more accurately if the air sample was being read from all chambers instead of just what's left in the front after I've "wiggled around" .

On the days my ass hurts, I find myself surfing the web looking for the "perfect" cushion, but come to the realization that it may not exist and there's no real way to try a cushion out. Fifteen minutes sitting on a cushion in a sales office is no answer. Take it home and you just maybe made a losing $400 gamble. Before settling on the ROHO, I spent around $1500-$2000 trying out cushions. I'm still not 100% satisfied, but I just can't bring myself to take another $400 gamble .

Sorry for the ramble. I hope I answered some of your questions.
    Last edited by Davey; 10-30-2005 at 03:14 PM.

i keep mine locked, i'm pretty sure that's the way they're intended to be used. i never really have to mess with mine; i've gone over a year at times without inflating it.

hi McDuff,the lock gives stability and and allows some discrepancies like
    one side of pelvis lower than other to be leveled.I realign my posture
    when uncomfortable,unlock,wait a bit trying not to move and then relock.

You may be more comfortable resetting and locking before transfer to the
    chair to have equal chambers or just use/demo the basic Roho hp without the chamber connects,ya i know,trial and error,but its worth a try,
    good luck with it.

Hey Guys, thanks for input.

Davey - I agree on the "no perfect" cushion. My problem was settling on one that "felt" good( I have partial sensatiion in 1 cheek). It was an air cushion using little bags, thought that was a good idea as no leaks possible. But don't think it "gave" enough under pressure. Just guessing here. Yeah it is tough trying out cushions, least my DME had this Roho for trial, get to keep it a few weeks.

Rustyjames - I agree this thing was probably meant to be locked. Will probably give it a try and get used to it. Just hate to change anything right now as my sores seem to like the current "setup".

T&C - yeah I thought about trying the basic Roho, but w/ my luck my DME won't have one of those for trial. If I stay w/ the Roho probably be good to have the "option" of the quadtro positioning anyway. I might try locking it before doing any "maneuvers" at least.

The Abilities Expo comes to Houston in early December, ought to be a lot of new stuff there. Will be fun to see if there are any "new" cushion technology worth looking at.

McDuff
    Last edited by McDuff; 10-31-2005 at 10:50 AM.

Roho Quatro

I have been on mine about a year and a half, I lock the chambers and every Saturday morning my wife sits on it to check pressuire and that there is no bottoming out. Every once and awhile we add a few pumps of air then relese the lock to let it level out, lock it then I transfer in. It's a good cushion but does take some fiddeling around. I have a Ease G3 (alternating pressure) on order with the intent to run it off my power chair batteries so will report back on that.

McDuff-

I use a Quadtro Low Profile, and do not lock the cells. I've tried to single cell Roho and it doesn't flow or adjust when I move around like the Quadtro does. I also have some feeling in my bottom so I can tell when I'm not sitting quite right. I've been using a Roho since I was in rehab and a friend lent me theirs when my butt was in constant pain. I insisted on one when my equipment was orderd when I left. So glad I did. Anyway, I never use the lock, i find it makes it more uncomfortable, but I need the Quadtro so that the air flows between the cells when I move around and adjust myself. I've taken to putting the valve at the back of my seat b/c it bothers the back of my legs where it hits and I don't use it anyway. As far as covers go, I recently ordered one of the custom Roho covers through Spinlife and it's a great cover. Besides being colorful & matching my chair, it's a much nicer material and it doesn't slide all over my seat sling anymore either. Hope this helps.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Darty - you lock the cells before you get in? That seems counter intuitive to me. Seems like you would want the cush to conform to ya and then lockdown. hmmmm. Those Ease cushions are supposed to be the "newest" ultimate in protection, good luck. Be a hassle for me running it on a manual chair though.

'Chelle - thank you, very helpful. Not only to let me know I'm not crazy(well, ok, maybe a little) about not locking. But also saved me from bothering trying out the single cell Roho. Your use sounds exactly like I envision it to work. Hadn't thought about putting the valve in back, interesting. My last cushion was 1way only, so rotating is a foreign thought. Which "designer" cover did you get? They look pretty snazzy.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Hey McD,
    I have a R0h0 Enhancer, looks the same but only has 2 seperate chambers. One does the sides for leg alignment, the other does the isch dish part for the boneZ. I also have a regular high profile. Now, unlike yourself, I can't feel. THIS may be the big difference for you. But you won't get a pressure sore using a Roho correctly inflated.
    However, I set mine up with the 2 finger under the lowest prominence method and leave them alone, UNLESS I have a big temp difference or altitude change. I have never had a problem. Only cushion I TRUST.
    If you have probs with the 4 chambers, try the enhancer for a bit.
    I won't pay for a cover, to cheap,lol. I use t-shirts that I wear regularly, and pillow cases tucked inside itself at the back. Like that so well, I'm gonna buy some snazzy ones and cut and sew a zipper on them so they will be permanent. Much cheaper and they keep metal fragments out when grinding and such, much better than the flimsy covers you pay 54 bucks for.
    Glad ta hear you are working again. I gotta get off my arse and try to decide what to do. I hate to go w/o insurance but I hate being 'p0 much more!

MCD-
    I'm glad I could be of help. Let me know if you have any other questons & I'll answer as best I can. As far as the custom cover, I got the musical one. I love it and it matches my chair quite nicely. It has not stretched out, and as I said before, it doesn't slide all over like the original covers did.

And I have to say that as I was typing this reply Smokie(my kitten) was typing on the keyboard her opinon of my roho cushion and custom cover....She's quite thrilled with them herself as you can see below.
    Last edited by Broknwing; 11-01-2005 at 04:07 AM. Reason: can't get pic to upload grrrr......
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......