Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help with bowel program

Please help with bowel program

I am in serious need of help with my husband's bowel program. He is 6 years post C5 injury. He has always had problems with his program. He has always had frequent bowel accidents. Lately they have gotten a lot worse and he is at his wits end. It is really starting to send him into a depression. We don't know what to do or where else to turn. He does his program 3 days a week, in the mornings. He takes 2 sennekot the night before and uses half of a magic bullet. He eats a snack and drinks a cup of coffee before he starts because we heard that might help get it all out. He waits about 20 minutes and then does stim every 5-10 minutes after that until the glove comes out clean. It usually takes about 1 1/2 hours. Then he showers and stretches and then does one more last stim to check for any excess (because he has had so many problems in the past). He spends most of his day worrying that he will have an accident. Now like today (and this past wednesday) he did all of that and he still had an accident. He hasn't even been able to think about going back to work because of the awful problems he has been having. I really need any advice or help we can get. We don't know where else to turn and I am so concerned about how depressed he is getting over this. I should add that he had the bladder augmentation in January but he has had these problems long before the surgery. And actually he did good after the surgery, it's just in the last two or three months that things have gotten bad.

honestly, having him get a colostomy would make life 100x easier for both of you. I got one 6yrs post this past January.

my only other suggestion is to keep tight reigns on his diet.

How is the consistency?? I added fiber and it really helped me out

One rule of thumb: if you are having accidents, go back to an every day program until you have been accident free for at least 7 days. Some people's bodies need to go daily.

Is he doing his bowel care on a commode or toilet or in bed?

Has he had any medication changes in the last few months?

Here is the booklet from the Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine. You can download it for $3. Just a note, the copywrite agreement for this download clearly states it is for personal use only, and is not to be shared or copied for others:

Neurogenic Bowel: What You Should Know

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 10-28-2005 at 08:47 PM.

i was having troble with the senna. i used to have to take 3 and a stool softener. lately, i'd just take 1 senna and no stool softener, and it make it liquid

no i don't take anything and use half a bullet. i think i was trying to get tomorrow's load today, if ya know what i mean. now it's great!
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    i was having troble with the senna. i used to have to take 3 and a stool softener. lately, i'd just take 1 senna and no stool softener, and it make it liquid

no i don't take anything and use half a bullet. i think i was trying to get tomorrow's load today, if ya know what i mean. now it's great!

I think the "half a bullet " suggestion is worth a try along with other advice above. I have found magic bullets to be "too effective." I have been doing a BP for 27 years and tried bullets, but each time I have had accidents a few hours later... needless to say I don't use.

IMO it is individualized and confident you guys will find what works for you.

Red face There's a second gunman on the assy hole! ugh

I should try the half-bullet method, as I tried using a full magic bullet and it came back to shoot me in the ass several hours later. What's the deal with the magic-butt snot attack? Well at least we're not having as much trouble as the first lady http://www.theonion.com/content/node/42136 Lol, that kills me, ok I have a sick sense of humor but in this life it's laugh or cry, or laugh at the people crying... one of those.
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

you're lucky all you get is butt snot afterwards, i get a full-fledged mush poo all over the place! uck but half bullet and no senna or stool softeners and i'm good
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    One rule of thumb: if you are having accidents, go back to an every day program until you have been accident free for at least 7 days. Some people's bodies need to go daily.

(KLD)
    Best advice I ever got.........similar to KLD's post

If you make changes don't keep swapping days and adjusting meds in panic. Give it 2 weeks for your body to adjust.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

I quit suppositories AND all the stim wait stim ,etc routine. I go fishing once in the morning, once at night. Takes just a minute or two. No mess, no hassle. No accidents.NO softeners, no nothing. One glove, one dollop of KY, one wally whirled bag for a transport to the tErLet, one flush. I spray the bag inside with bleach water solution, drop the glove inside, tie it up and into the trash with it. I use my bed as I can't sit on the commode w/o falling off or in.They caught me as I fell in rehab and I said ta heck w/that. I have zero balance and can't fish n sit at the same time even IF I wouldn't fall in,lol.
    Actually faster by far than when I was an AB as ya can't read a newspaper with one hand,lol. I will add that I am a vegan and drink plenty of water, so no stool problems.

One more thing. I started riding a handcycle this year for daily long distance rides. My food cycle(time ate to time expel) went from 5-6 days, to 3 days on average. I use good ol c0rN as a 'trace element'

If ya put it in every day, you ought to remove it every day, the bulk doesn't decrease significantly as nutrients are removed, that's a lot of packin it in for what most folks eat! Not to mention, that a GOOD doc will tell ya that you need to 'go' every day for GOOD health. ESPECIALLY if ya eat dead aMiNalZ. Toxins in the colon are a sloow health killer.
    Even if you guys don't want to change your eating/exercise habits, DO have a daily bowel program, those accidents are because the intestine is full and emptying itself as more is added. After you get a week free of accidents, he should, be able to go back to work.
    I don't know any other sci's or wheelers except from rehab almost 10 yrs ago. None around here. But I can lay flat in the bed and feel my intestines. Sometimes after a big meal, you can follow it around as it moves, by hand. I have learned to tell where the 'big grub piles' are and gauge when it will be about time to go looking for it,lol. Generally though, morning and night every day.
    I had a hard enough time in rehab with the accidents, leaks, goo-slides, etg from suppositories with just me. So I resolved to drop those before I went home to the 'ol lady. Figured it would be hard enough convincing her to not give up on me. She flew anyway, but at least she was cause for me to learn that you don't need anything but a timely routine for a good bowel management program.
    Hope you guys get it all straightened out quickly. God Bless and feel free to ask questions. Hate to see anyone fight this aggravation alone.

ANOTHER add on. Coffee...it might stim ya a bit, not everyone. But I will tell you it DOES dry the intestine, hence, making slower movement of the mass through the bowel, sometimes to the point of being a cause of constipation. I drank tons of coffee every day of my life. I was drinking it before I was 4. But at 32 when I was injured it took me 2 years to learn the various causes and effects of all the stuff I was injesting. I quit.
    The things you are taking the night before are doing anything for the mass at the end of the intestine. It is just prepping that days stuff for the day it arrives at the end of the tunnel,lol.

Sounds weird but do what I did. Take note of what and when you eat for a week or two. Use trace foods every couple of days, like corn, ya can't miss it when it arrives,lol. See how long the passage time for a meal REALLY is. Then when you have problems, you'll know what foods cause the problem. You will be a LOT more in control of potential accidents that way.
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 10-30-2005 at 01:03 AM.