Thread: Mitronaff

Mitronaff

My mom has had several UTIs as a result of intermittent catherizations. Since Medical Assistance only pays for a few catheters a month, we have to reuse them a lot. One option that has been suggested to us is the Mitronaff procedure, aka belly button cathing. The other advantage that would have for us is that mom needs to be on her side in bed for IC because she has two artificial hips which make it impossible to catherize her in any other position, so mitronaff would offer a lot more flexibility. But her concern is whether this would preclude her from ever getting to the point that she can urinate normally again. She has continued to get more sensation in her bladder, and often can tell when she needs to be catherized or when she is leaking before catherization, so she's hopeful that if that continues she won't need to rely on catherizations and doesn't want to do anything for short term benefit that would prevent her from realizing that goal. So my question is a) whether you would recommend mitronaff, and b) does anyone know if that would affect the return of normal bladder function or otherwise preclude her from getting to the point where she can urinate naturally.

Here's a good thread about the mitrofanoff procedure. Gives personal stories/concerns. http://carecure.org/forum/showthread...ht=mitrofanoff
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski

I hd the mitrofanoff, and can still feel when I need to cATH ETC. I also had an augmentation, so I think its less reversible. But the mitrofanoff itself is supposed to be reversible.

Thank you. That thread was incredibly helpful and informative. But it did raise one question that is of particular concern. There was a reference to some people having bowell problems as a result of the procedure. My mother had bowell problems, and has been to the hospital twice since the accident with problems related to sluggish bowells. We're working on fine tunng her meds and diet to address that, and I'd be reluctant to do anything that could exacerbate those problems. Otherwise it sounds like a great option.

The Mitrofanoff procedure is much less likely to disrupt the bowels if appendix is used. If small bowel is used, it is more likely. You may be confusing some of the responses that people have to an augmentation, which can cause major bowel disruption (usually loose stools and incontinence, not constipation) for up to 6 weeks after the procedure. It is a temporary change for nearly all, and would not be a long term problem.

The UTIs are not due to doing intermittent cath, but due to having a neurogenic bladder. Done correctly, intermittent cath has the lowest rate of UTIs of any bladder management method used in SCI.

You still have to reuse the catheters when you cath via a Mitrofanoff and would need to cath just as often, so I am a little unclear on why this would make a difference. How are you cleaning the catheters now?

(KLD)

Thank you.

Several of the posts I read mentioned that people had fewer problems with UTIs after Mitroffanoff procedures. But even though that was what first caused me to look into the procedure, it is the increased independence and ease of cathing that attracts me. The hip replacement makes cathing particularly difficult with mom. I was thinking that some of the problems with UTIs might be alleviated if inserting the catheter wasn't so difficult.

We clean the catheters in hot soapy water. Medical assistance only pays for four catheters a month, so we re-used them quite a bit.

Do you make sure each catheter has completely air-dried well for at least 24 hours prior to reuse? This is critical.

(KLD)