Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cold foot/hot foot

Question cold foot/hot foot

my left foot is ice cold, the other is normal body temp. why is this?

I have also difference in my foot temperature. My right foot is hot the left foot cold. For me it is because my SCI is worse on my right hand side I believe, have also some swelling in the right hand side foot. Are your SCI also worse on the right hand side maybe?

This is strange.
    I also have a left leg/foot that is almost always cold while the right is more or less normal. But my injury is complete with no difference between the two sides. Any other reason why it could be the left side in all 3 of us?

If you have a sudden change like this, you should see your physician immediately. It could be a serious circulatory problem. Learn to take the pulse in your foot or knee so you can check this if you have this as a chronic problem.

If you have had this for a long time without sudden onset, I would not worry about it. Remember that your spinal cord controls vasoconstriction and vasodilation (through the sympathetic nerves) and without brain input, these nerves don't know what to do. This can result in differences in body temperature, including limbs that feel cooler.

(KLD)

in my case it has pretty much always been this way.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Remember that your spinal cord controls vasoconstriction and vasodilation (through the sympathetic nerves) and without brain input, these nerves don't know what to do. This can result in differences in body temperature, including limbs that feel cooler.(KLD)
    I have had it for a few years. I think due to the quote here this is what’s causing my left foot to be cold, for my right foot to be hot it is the swelling down in the foot I believe. Thank you KLD, and thank you all.

i get this too. i have ever since i first got hurt in 93.

i noticed the temp change last week and its been the same since. i dunno if that counts as sudden change or longterm. but just in case, what kind of doctor do i go to? i dont want to lose a limb over this.

Do you have a good pulse in your foot? If so, I would not worry about this. If you cannot tell or if your skin is blue or ruddy you can either see your primary care physician or go to an Urgent Care center or ER.

(KLD)

how can i check my pulse? it's not blue or ruddy but it does look slightly different than my other foot. also i noticed when i wake up its normal but as the day goes on and im sitting up it gets colder.