Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red spot

Red spot

I have a small red spot on my tailbone area. What should I put on it? I know to try to stay off of it as much as possible but I'm almost out of time at work so that's not too realistic. I have a Roho cushion that I'm using. I've been spraying it with Miracle Mist Plus. I also have Silvadene cream but haven't put any of that on it yet. It is just red and pretty small (maybe the size of a pea). No open areas at all and no drainage. I called my wound care doctor and his nurse told me I was stressing for no reason. She said just to leave it alone and it would go away. A few years ago I had a Stage 4 pressure sore with osteomyelitis and it was a terribel experience. I just don't want this to get out of control! So...what should I do for this? Just watch it? The wound care nurse said they won't see me unless it's a true wound-has broken open. I need help or suggestions! How long will it take for the spot to go away?

When I had that problem I put a Duoderm dressing on it. It gave it a little bit of padding. I'm not sure if it's necessary but it did go away. I know the nurse says it's nothing but its also not on them and we all know how fast these things can get out of hand. Try and eat more protein too.

You must not have the type of Roho cushion that you can take an air cell out? - sorry not too familiar with them.

I would spend the time you're NOT at work, off your rump.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I don't agree with the nurse at your wound care clinic. You have to catch these things early. If it is red and not fading, and not open, it is a stage I pressure ulcers and tissue death is already taking place. You MUST stay off it completely...no laying on your back in bed, and no sitting. I know this is a pain, and a problem with work, but it is much easier than going down the road of an open pressure ulcer, osteomyelitis, surgery, etc. etc. (which you already know).

There is nothing you can put topically on a stage I pressure ulcer that will make any difference at all. Stay off it. If it opens, you need to see someone right away...but if you stay off it, it may heal in a few weeks.

(KLD)

Thanks everyone for your advice. It actually looks a little less red today but I know it's still a problem. I spoke with my boss and if I run out of time at work they won't hold my job or let me take leave without pay. So I really have no choice but to work! Hopefully the roho will help and people swear by the Miracle Mist so I'm still spraying that on it. All I can do now is keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't break open. Thanks again.

When I had tailbone redness, we pulled my cushion out a bit so my tailbone was over nothing but air when I sat up (I did spend less time sitting, until the redness went away.)
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Hi Maureen,

The two times I've had pressure sores on my sitting area in the past 4 years, I couldn't stay off them, either. I use a salve called "Corona"--it's an ointment used with sores incurred by farm animals (I buy it at Walmart--you may have to ask at the pharmacy). I cover the area with a piece of a Poise pad and Hypafix tape. Most important, though--extra protein: I swear by 1 EAX Myoplex protein drink per day (42 grams of protein). You can buy it at GNC or at dpsnutrition.com. I also use a Roho cushion--did you check the inflation?

Good luck,
    Susan

I have another question. The red spot is not any bigger but it feels like there's a knot beneath it. It feels like a pea under my skin. Is this a breakdown or could it be something else like a boil? It's not hot and obviously I can't tell if it hurts. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    You must not have the type of Roho cushion that you can take an air cell out? - sorry not too familiar with them.
    none of the Rohos have removable air cells, although you can wrap a rubber band around the base of one & force the air out.

Quote Originally Posted by Maureen63
    I have another question. The red spot is not any bigger but it feels like there's a knot beneath it. It feels like a pea under my skin. Is this a breakdown or could it be something else like a boil? It's not hot and obviously I can't tell if it hurts. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
    a zit? infected hair follicle? is the area clean?