Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: colonoscopy

Anestesia

Is the Anastasia normal, or to prevent AD? I'm fairly sure I'll need this done in the near future. I'm EXTREMELY worried about an AD episode!!! Any negatives on the virtual colonoscopy? That seems like a better way to go.

-Ron

Anastasia

I think you mean anesthesia. It is actually called conscious sedation ("twilight sleep"). This is given to relax you and to make you have amnesia for any discomfort during the procedure. It does NOT prevent AD, so you still need to have a plan for how this will be managed if it should occur during the procedure (fairly common) with the physician who is doing it.

You still have to have the same prep with the virtual colonoscopy, and it has a downside that if anything abnormal is found (most commonly polyps) which must be biopsied, you have to undergo a second regular colonoscopy to do this. You cannot do a biopsy or remove a polyp during a virtual procedure.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 10-28-2005 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    moe, your saga is EXACTLY what I'm trying to avoid. I'm a C6-7 guy and it's time for my colonoscopy. The doc tried to get me in the hospital for the prep but they said no. I have Medicare...if that makes any difference. I was in the hospital about 5 years ago for a few days and one of the tests performed was a colonoscopy so I have "fond" memories of swilling GoLytely and stooling endless amounts of shit, mucous and 98% of my bodily fluids. I think it took about 6 hours to even start shitting and about 12 hours to drink the GoLytely. I oozed stool for days off and on. The scene was ugly, the stench was great, the hospital staff was inept. I don't know what I'm going to do this time around. There has to be a better way to manage the prep. It is very unfair and cruel.
    First, talk to your doc about exactly how horrible this is for someone with SCI and no home health care (do you know an agency that wants to send help for bowel prep?). This is so far beyond family caregiver requirements. Then suggest using citrate of magnesium. It has a habit of lowering your blood pressure to where you need an IV drip... I managed 4 of the 5 bottles and you couldn't tell if that was a foley or a "colon collection device??" the liquid was so clear after 4 bottles. The RN and I decided 4 bottles was more than enough. Yep, they taped some sort of liquid poop collector to my butt after one bedpan of something vaguely solid. By the time I got to the OR prep area my BP was 52/45. They almost cancelled me till I suggested opening that IV all the way for 5 minutes. Back to my normal 90/60. Also advice the case manager type at Medicare about AD and its side effects like stroke, coma, death, lawsuits... My primary is BC/BS and talking to my gastroenterologist and a case manager I got a 23 hour stay as KLD said.

BTW, I had the head of anestiseology come in to tell me if my BP went up I shouldn't freak if I woke up in the ICU. In case of AD she would be called to put me under regular completely knocked out anesthetic and then up to ICU for a few hours to make sure the AD was gone. I had no problems at all with twilight. As soon as I got home I took one immodium and was fine.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Ask specifically about a "23 hour stay" for hospitalization. Technically (even for Medicare) this is considered an outpatient visit, not inpatient, and they will often pay for it esp. with an explaination of your SCI as a complication. We can do this and admit the person the afternoon prior to the test, and discharge them immediately after their recovery from the anesthesia.
    KLD, Just exactly where in the hospital does someone like myself stay for 23 hours, get undressed, drink GoLytely, stool, lay down and stool again and so on? Would I typically get a regular hospital room or the "cow barn" section of the endoscopy clinic? I will need hospital staff helping me of course. Thanks.

Some hospitals have a seperate unit for these 23 hour stay patients, while others mix them together with the regular inpatients. It varies, but you have nursing care, and it is not in the same area where the endoscopies are done. Discuss this with your physician. They will be very familiar with 23 hour stay arrangements at the hospitals they use, and can direct you to the right person at the hospital to ask questions.

(KLD)

HEY Sue,
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton
    First, talk to your doc about exactly how horrible this is for someone with SCI and no home health care (do you know an agency that wants to send help for bowel prep?).
    ....snip...
    ...oooh my, now you've done it Sue! yikes, I'm not so sure about going ahead with this.

SCI-Nurse (KLD) was thorough enough in the procedure description, to include "virtual colonoscopy" as requiring this prep as well -- I was under the impression (being a techno citizen) that I was going to swallow a device and it would happily transverse my GI tract and show the whole journey on the monitor after recovery (koan: ...would an alarm sound when the journey was complete? )
    I guess there is an opportunity for development here...

Although here (in Canada) we don't have to worry (too much) about health care, I suspect it would still require some doing to get the prep done in a hospital. While the rehab centre would be very well equipped to handle the SCI associated issues, the logistics for transport, scheduling at the hospital, etc., would still be a big challenge.

Cheers!
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Regardless of which end the monitoring device goes into your GI tract, you still have to get cleaned out in order to see what needs to be seen. The regular colonoscope goes in the rectum, the virtual camera is swallowed and then defecated. That is the only difference.

(KLD)

I'm 50 so I should have a colonoscopy done. But I'd be a little leery about staying there for 23 hours "stinking" up the place. The last time I was in the hospital for 2 days it was with a severely broken leg. They put me in a room with some healthy AB guy who just had minor laparoscopic surgery on his knee. I'm glad I didn't need for a bowel movement while there but I worried about it a lot. I'd be embarrassed to stink up the room for this fellow and his guests. Those "curtains" ain't nuthin'.

I wish they'd bring back private hospital rooms, group patients together for things like this or build a Spinal Cord Injury Center in my area.

Maybe I'm just too sensitive about things like this.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by LaoziSailor
    HEY Sue,
    ...oooh my, now you've done it Sue! yikes, I'm not so sure about going ahead with this.

SCI-Nurse (KLD) was thorough enough in the procedure description, to include "virtual colonoscopy" as requiring this prep as well -- I was under the impression (being a techno citizen) that I was going to swallow a device and it would happily transverse my GI tract and show the whole journey on the monitor after recovery (koan: ...would an alarm sound when the journey was complete? )
    I guess there is an opportunity for development here...

Although here (in Canada) we don't have to worry (too much) about health care, I suspect it would still require some doing to get the prep done in a hospital. While the rehab centre would be very well equipped to handle the SCI associated issues, the logistics for transport, scheduling at the hospital, etc., would still be a big challenge.

Cheers!
    Smokey and Han,

I was sent up to a regular "medical floor". People recovering from surgeries that were stable, some long term disease folks in for chemo and the like. Just make sure that the admitting doctor write orders for every gross thing you can imagine and don't expect to get a nurse with a good imagination like I did. With that tube I could sleep through an hour or so at a time before drinking the next bottle of prime bubbly. Make sure they write you are NOT to be left on a bedpan for the entire time and turning is needed as is possible considering. Oh, and what kind of caths you use or don't, etc. The main RN I had asked me to quickly go over how to do an intermittant because she was used to only doing foleys (make sure the non-business end is in the collection device!). I was put in a private room with a seperate suite area. I think they try to give you as much privacy as they can. I sure didn't ask for and my insurance wouldn't pay for a private room unless it was all that was available. And hospitls use that orange oil spray liberally if it is needed. Colonoscopy prep is nothing on the odor scale compared to C. Difficile.

Han? You have the right idea but for the wrong test. There is a tiny capsule with camera that a person can swallow, recover later and then the slide show shows docs areas of the digestive system that some cancers can form in or ulcers but can't be seen well or at all by any other method.

A virtual colonoscopy, if I understand it correctly, must be done standing. And even at 43 they found 2 polyps they cut off to test in me. So if the virtual finds something, like KLD said, you have to do the bowel prep all over again because they can't just stick a scissor up there and whack it off.

Oh, and with my 23 hour stay my clothes were waiting for me in recovery after the test and a nurse helped me dress. Then my husband came in to take me home.

Oops, KLD, am I wrong on the camera swallowing gizmo? I thought that was for upper intestinal areas?

Bob, have your doc request as much privacy as possible or an old fart for a roommate. They've seen it all and most are slowly loosing their sense of smell (just like we will some day). If you get a roommate that you don't feel like you can endure the prep with because of guests ask your nurse to limit guests.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

The virtual colonoscopy is a camera that is swallowed and is removed through defecation. This shows the lower GI tract.
    An endoscopy is the procedure that shows the upper GI tract, a camera with a tube is inserted into your upper tract by the doctor and then is removed by pulling it out.

AAD