Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: colonoscopy

colonoscopy

any one have one?
    whats the best prep for a c4 quad?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesday
    any one have one?
    whats the best prep for a c4 quad?
    I'm not sure if the prep will be different for a quad or a para (that's me). I did speak to the Dr. that's doing my piles and he suggested I would be a good candidate for a "virtual colonoscopy" -- you swallow a camera and it goes through the GI tract -- because there is no easy/good prep.

You could ask your Dr. about it, I will only be able to give an update on mine in about a month.

Cheers!
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Tuesday,

I wrote this in another thread on the subject:
    I'm a C3/4 and had a colonoscopy a few years back. I fasted for a couple days just taking clear fluids, broths, bouillon, jello, etc. Then cleaned out the morning prior to my appointment and continued the clear fluids. Doc said I was clean as a whistle! Then stopped by Burger Master and gorged!

They went in from both directions on me, down the throat was much less fun.

Hope this may at least give you some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by NWC4
    Tuesday,

I wrote this in another thread on the subject:
    I'm a C3/4 and had a colonoscopy a few years back. I fasted for a couple days just taking clear fluids, broths, bouillon, jello, etc. Then cleaned out the morning prior to my appointment and continued the clear fluids. Doc said I was clean as a whistle! Then stopped by Burger Master and gorged!

They went in from both directions on me, down the throat was much less fun.

Hope this may at least give you some ideas.
    what do you mean by "cleaned out"? regular bp or enema? i went for one but the doc cancelled because of an emergency. i never rescheduled. i did the one day fast deal an tried an enema that morning which just ran back out,lol. was jus wondering if fasting a couple of days then doing bp that morning would be good enough.

I am a C2/C3 incomplete. I just had a colonoscopy and it was not a pleasant experience. The prep work was done at the hospital. My wife ended up doing most of the work, because the staff had no clue how to deal with me. The commode chair that the hospital supplied was hard plastic, with no back support - very uncomfortable. I had to drink about a gallon of this stuff called NuLitely. I didn't quite finish it - the last 2 cups of it made me throw up. It also didn't work as fast as it would on a noninjured person. Finally, after about four hours, I was ready for the procedure. That was a piece of cake when compared to the prep.

The next day however, my wife discovered a bruise on my left butt cheek, which scared both of us. I worried about skin breakdown for days. It resulted from multiple transfers onto that damn plastic commode chair. It took about 10 days to heal. I had to spend a lot of time doing extra weight shifts, going to bed early, and sleeping on my side. Luckily, I have enough feeling that I knew when it was time to relieve the pressure.

I'm not trying to discourage you from the procedure, just making you aware of my experience. By the way, the test results showed that I have a perfectly healthy colon!

The prep is not different for SCI. We admit our patients for a 23 hour stay. This allows them to have their prep with nursing care available, then have the test and go home as soon as you are recovered from the procedure. They must be prepared to deal with any AD episodes during the procedure (a common problem) so be sure there is a plan and that the physician doing the exam knows what to do.

We generally do not do this on a commode, but in bed with chux and lots of skin cleaning (for the reasons above). We still use Golytely, but my mother (who has MS and is tetraplegic) just had hers and used the oral Fleets mixed in ginger ale, and did much better with no nausea, and was well cleaned out. This is in addition to the 24 hours of clear liquids only (no red jello or red juice, no red popcycles, etc.). I would use this prep instead of the Golytlely. It is not worth not being well prepped...your procedure will have to be cancelled and repeated if you are not cleaned out. The virtual colonoscopy requires the same prep.

(KLD)

I used the Fleet as well. I came in a small bottle which I choked down half at a time followed by water, it worked well. The total process took about 3 hours. I sat on my shower chair and it pretty much resembled one nasty waterfall! Extreme light headedness is an issue, but I can't imagine the mess in bed and I regularly do my MWF routine in bed.

I had a colonoscopy a month and a half ago. I did the NuLytely prep and got it all down except the last two cups also. It took 3 hours for it to take effect. I was told to expect it to take effect about a half hour after beginning the prep so I just sat on the toilet and started drinking at 3:30 pm. 6:30 pm I began to empty. I thought I was finally empty at 11:00 pm so I cleaned up and put on a depends just in case and went to bed (I sat on the toilet the entire time). I woke up to see I wasn't as empty as I thought. My pad was completely covered, the depends diaper was completely soaked and I was pretty much empty now. It was terrible. I asked my doc if I could stay at the hospital for the prep. He said insurance wouldn't cover it. I would have much preferred doing the prep at the hospital. Sitting on the toilet for 8 hours was brutal. I thought for sure I'd have a skin issue, but it never happened, thank god.

Had one pollup that was removed and not and issue...
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

moe, your saga is EXACTLY what I'm trying to avoid. I'm a C6-7 guy and it's time for my colonoscopy. The doc tried to get me in the hospital for the prep but they said no. I have Medicare...if that makes any difference. I was in the hospital about 5 years ago for a few days and one of the tests performed was a colonoscopy so I have "fond" memories of swilling GoLytely and stooling endless amounts of shit, mucous and 98% of my bodily fluids. I think it took about 6 hours to even start shitting and about 12 hours to drink the GoLytely. I oozed stool for days off and on. The scene was ugly, the stench was great, the hospital staff was inept. I don't know what I'm going to do this time around. There has to be a better way to manage the prep. It is very unfair and cruel.

Ask specifically about a "23 hour stay" for hospitalization. Technically (even for Medicare) this is considered an outpatient visit, not inpatient, and they will often pay for it esp. with an explaination of your SCI as a complication. We can do this and admit the person the afternoon prior to the test, and discharge them immediately after their recovery from the anesthesia.