Thread: Halo or Collar

Halo or Collar

When i broke my neck C-5. My dr. said I'd probably never walk again! Luckly, a year later i was able to walk with crutches. After reading about other people's stories about being in the hospital I thank God for how luck I was.

Like, I never had a halo. I heard horror stories about the screws in the head having to get tighten every few days. I just had a collar. Yes, i'm glad I never had a halo but wouldn't a halo be more stable than just a collar? Then traction. I read in my medical papers I was in traction but only for a few hours then I went to surgery. I never remember being in traction.

My hospital experience was bad, no one should go through what I went through, but it wasn't as bad as some poeple. I get down some days and then i start reading stories about being in traction for weeks or someone telling about screws getting tightened from the halo and I know someone out there is worst off than I am.

My question is, how come I was lucky and didn't have a halo? I asked my dr. and he just said halo are used for many reasons. Maybe he thought I wasn't going to walk again and a collar would work fine.

I thought just the opposite. If your neck was seemingly more stable he popped a collar on. Then again maybe you were just lucky!

I had a halo, but I had multiple fractures in my neck. My sci initially is C6/C7, but I had a hangman's break at C2. Once I was stabilized, they decided on a halo because surgery was too risky since my spinal cord had not been damaged at that level.

They're definitely no fun. It feels like a gazillion pounds on just sitting on your head/shoulders, and the tightening of the screws was not something I look forward to. I never cried when they did it though! Well except for when I screamed AND cried when they took it off. That was awful. I was actually telling them to put it back on because the release of pressure made my head hurt so bad (worse than any AD headache ever). And I felt like a Carrie-bobblehead. I was terrified to turn my head because I figured one crack of that C2 and I was a goner. But here I am...my lil halo scars and all.

When I was in rehab, I was really the only one in a halo at that time. And most of us were/are quads. They all had fusion surgeries at their level of injury and were place in collars also. Maybe it has to do with the multiple level fractures?
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski

I broke my neck in the dark ages. First they put me in traction on a bed called a stryker frame, basically this is a bed they turn over every two hours so you are face up for two then face down for two this is so you dont get bed sores but at the same time you have tongs screwed into your head with weights attached to the tongs with a rope. I was kept on this for almost 7 weeks. After that I was put in a Halo, yes four more screws and wore that for almost 3 months. They thought by doing this they wouldnt have to fuse my neck. Well needless to say C-5-6-7 are fused

The Dark Ages is a good description. That was also the time the "experts" believed that people with SCI couldn't have pain, so the doctor at my rehab ignored my descriptions and provided no treatment of any kind. Dumb ass.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

There is quite a bit of science that goes into determining what type of bracing (if any) is needed after a spinal fracture or dislocation. It depends on where the fracture is as well as how severe the fracture or dislocation is. A halo is the most rigid stabilization device for a cervical fracture. What type of device is used should not depend on the amount of neurologic impairment, but on the fracture characteristics themselves. Traction is used primarily for distraction when the spine is dislocated and often when there are locked facets or spinal muscle spasms that are moving or keeping the bones in the wrong position. More modern spinal instrumentation and fusion techniques have also decreased the need for traction and the use of halos compared to what we used to have.

Often halos are avoided now days as they hold people back in therapy in rehab, and some insurances have started insisting on delaying rehab and sending people in halos to nursing homes until the halo comes off...then going to rehab. A major disaster for most of the folks this happens to.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    There is quite a bit of science that goes into determining what type of bracing (if any) is needed after a spinal fracture or dislocation. It depends on where the fracture is as well as how severe the fracture or dislocation is. A halo is the most rigid stabilization device for a cervical fracture. What type of device is used should not depend on the amount of neurologic impairment, but on the fracture characteristics themselves. Traction is used primarily for distraction when the spine is dislocated and often when there are locked facets or spinal muscle spasms that are moving or keeping the bones in the wrong position. More modern spinal instrumentation and fusion techniques have also decreased the need for traction and the use of halos compared to what we used to have.

Often halos are avoided now days as they hold people back in therapy in rehab, and some insurances have started insisting on delaying rehab and sending people in halos to nursing homes until the halo comes off...then going to rehab. A major disaster for most of the folks this happens to.

(KLD)
    Good point KLD. I was in rehab with mine, but I couldn't really learn anything or practice because of it. I did strengthening mostly for those 3 months...which is NOT a fun everyday routine. When it came off, I spent 6 weeks learning 3 months worth of work. Also not fun. I'm still proud of my scars though.
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski