Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: web site creation - beginner

I'm more comfortable working in the code directly, but use Dreamweaver often for efficiency b/c it has some built-in shortcuts. If you don't understand markup languages like HTML, etc., don't waste your time w/ Dreamweaver/etc trying to learn unless you have extra time on your hands.

If you use a mac, I can highly recommend Rapidweaver for
    quick site creation that looks pretty decent. There are a lot of templates available for it, & it's very easy to use.

The CMS suggestions are good as well. Once the framework is in place, updates are easy. I'm slowly implementing ExpressionEngine (not free, but worth the cost for us) on two sites, and I've used pMachine Pro (replaced by ExpressionEngine & now free) on a few in the past. I've been pleased w/ the company that developed these... great support & very refined products.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    I'm more comfortable working in the code directly, but use Dreamweaver often for efficiency b/c it has some built-in shortcuts. If you don't understand markup languages like HTML, etc., don't waste your time w/ Dreamweaver/etc trying to learn unless you have extra time on your hands.

If you use a mac, I can highly recommend Rapidweaver for
    quick site creation that looks pretty decent. There are a lot of templates available for it, & it's very easy to use.

The CMS suggestions are good as well. Once the framework is in place, updates are easy. I'm slowly implementing ExpressionEngine (not free, but worth the cost for us) on two sites, and I've used pMachine Pro (replaced by ExpressionEngine & now free) on a few in the past. I've been pleased w/ the company that developed these... great support & very refined products.
    I guess it is going to boil down to which program I can find that does not require me to know any code but will be able to create my website the way I want it. There is a person that is willing to help me with a program called Word Press http://codex.wordpress.org Has anyone heard of that one? I also remember using something called SiteBuilder a long time ago. And I remember no having to know any code using that, e.g. being able to layout my page, adding navigation buttons and then adding text links in those buttons, choosing colors of the background, text, hover links, etc. all with just clicks of the mouse, no code involved. I am going to look at that Joombla also. Anymore software out there the you know of that will allow me to do this? thanks
    Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
    injury march 2003

Quote Originally Posted by LooseCannon
    A Content Management System (CMS) is a perfect solution for your situation. A CMS allows non-technical content contributors to seamlessy create, edit, and publish web content.

There is absolutely NO reason to pay someone and/or for you to learn all the intricate details of web design/develop to update web content. I suggest you find a developer to install config Joomla on your web hosting server.

Joomla is my CMS choice, it's FREE, Open Source, PHP/MySQL based and has a strong developer/support community. Last I looked it also offers a search optimizer.

Drop me line if you would like to further discuss implementing a CMS.

Good luck!

well i went to Joomla.org and wanted to see a demo. a screen came up but no option to see the demo. I download the latest copy 1.0.3 to my desktop but there is no setup file to run. There is no way to contact them to ask for help either. Not good signs alread
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003

Waters3:

Check more options! www.postnuke.com or www.geeklog.net

Suggestion: Try learning by yourself, so you'll make all what you want your page without asking,in the same way, you'll not have to "wait" to be helped

Lol, my brother (youngest one) sometimes hates me because when I need info about settings or other things I am always asking him!

Quote Originally Posted by waters3
    well i went to Joomla.org and wanted to see a demo. a screen came up but no option to see the demo. I download the latest copy 1.0.3 to my desktop but there is no setup file to run. There is no way to contact them to ask for help either. Not good signs alread
    The setup will occur on a web server, not your home computer. I haven't used Joomla, but I assume what you have to do is upload all the files to a server, make sure you have database access, & run an installation script.

Quote Originally Posted by Salimacatwoman
    Waters3:

Check more options! www.postnuke.com or www.geeklog.net

Suggestion: Try learning by yourself, so you'll make all what you want your page without asking,in the same way, you'll not have to "wait" to be helped

Lol, my brother (youngest one) sometimes hates me because when I need info about settings or other things I am always asking him!
    Right. I am trying to learn myself but am having a hard time finding a CMS that will alllow me to try a demo on my computer and not having to have it installed on my server. I want to be able to make sure I can use the software myself to create the site before I go through all the trouble of installing the product (whichever one it may be) on my server, which will be a whole other learning experience itself I'm sure . Thanks for the sites i'll check them out.
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    The setup will occur on a web server, not your home computer. I haven't used Joomla, but I assume what you have to do is upload all the files to a server, make sure you have database access, & run an installation script.
    Yep learning lesson of today. Figured this out today.
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003

Right. I am trying to learn myself but am having a hard time finding a CMS that will alllow me to try a demo on my computer and not having to have it installed on my server. I want to be able to make sure I can use the software myself to create the site before I go through all the trouble of installing the product (whichever one it may be) on my server, which will be a whole other learning experience itself I'm sure . Thanks for the sites i'll check them out.
    You can find many online demos through this site, made up primarily of open source CMSs.
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

The Joomla demo is up and working (maybe they had a brief outage??).

1) Select demo from the homepage
    2) Select Administrator from the left nav bar.
    3) Login

Joomla runs on a PHP enabled web server (like your web hosting server). You can run it locally, but you'll need to install/config Apache and PHP. You're better off running the install on your hosting server.

Most free opensource software products are not supported by a business, that is there isn't a 1-800 number or email provided for support. Instead the support comes from a community of users and developers via forums. Click on the Forum tab in the top nav.

As already stated http://opensourcecms.com is a good resource.

Quote Originally Posted by LooseCannon
    The Joomla demo is up and working (maybe they had a brief outage??).

1) Select demo from the homepage
    2) Select Administrator from the left nav bar.
    3) Login

Joomla runs on a PHP enabled web server (like your web hosting server). You can run it locally, but you'll need to install/config Apache and PHP. You're better off running the install on your hosting server.

Most free opensource software products are not supported by a business, that is there isn't a 1-800 number or email provided for support. Instead the support comes from a community of users and developers via forums. Click on the Forum tab in the top nav.

As already stated http://opensourcecms.com is a good resource.
    Thanks. I kinda got this idea after looking at several CMS's and all need to be installed on my server. I didn't have my login info with me today and as a matter of fact have never been on my server. I think I understood that after a certain time period it certain demos will uninstall everything off my server; is that correct so I don't have a bunch of different demo info debri left on it.
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003