Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: web site creation - beginner

A Content Management System (CMS) is a perfect solution for your situation. A CMS allows non-technical content contributors to seamlessy create, edit, and publish web content.

There is absolutely NO reason to pay someone and/or for you to learn all the intricate details of web design/develop to update web content. I suggest you find a developer to install config Joomla on your web hosting server.

Joomla is my CMS choice, it's FREE, Open Source, PHP/MySQL based and has a strong developer/support community. Last I looked it also offers a search optimizer.

Drop me line if you would like to further discuss implementing a CMS.

Good luck!

I make and maintain sites for a living. Dreamweaver isn't very difficult to understand, and I suggest not touching FrontPage.

Or, if all else fails, I do updates for about $20

Feel free to check my site, www.vmtweb.com
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    I make and maintain sites for a living. Dreamweaver isn't very difficult to understand, and I suggest not touching FrontPage.

Or, if all else fails, I do updates for about $20

Feel free to check my site, www.vmtweb.com
    hey this is great. I will certainly keep you in mind these rates are something that we can handle. Do you have any experience in optimizing a site while you are building/recreating it? I might consider having it be recreated by someone that knows how to clean it up under the hood.
    Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
    injury march 2003

So let me see if I am understanding CMS's a little better. Is a CMS just a "process" that includes creating, publishing and being able to edit your website content and then there are individual software programs that allow you to achieve this goal?

If my site was re-created in Dreamweaver can I then access it on my hosting company's server to make changes, add pages, etc. using one of these software programs even though my site was created in Dreamweaver?
    Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
    injury march 2003

Thumbs up The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)

Code:
    Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

"The power of the Web is in its
    universality. Access by everyone
    regardless of disability is an
    essential aspect."
    ...and when you are all done, give yourself a gold star and be proud to add:

to your website.

Cheers!
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Quote Originally Posted by waters3
    Wreck under the hood?
    I believe in creating standards compliant and accessible web sites. Dreamweaver, or any other software for that matter, will not do all the work for you.
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

Is a CMS just a "process" that includes creating, publishing and being able to edit your website content and then there are individual software programs that allow you to achieve this goal?
    CMS stands for Content Management System. A CMS' real power comes from its ability to allow individuals to edit and add entries to pages of a web site without knowing CSS or HTML or any programming languages.

Setting up a CMS and building a web site with one is an entirely different aspect. It's easy if you're familiar with the technologies, but can be a daunting task for someone who is new to the field.

Although it's a great step towards managing your site, you may be biting off more than you can chew. If you do decide to go with a CMS, you do not need to pay any money. Several free CMSs exist that are very popular and well supported by thriving communities. Textpattern is one of several, although one of the best in my opinion.
    If my site was re-created in Dreamweaver can I then access it on my hosting company's server to make changes, add pages, etc. using one of these software programs even though my site was created in Dreamweaver?
    You're missing something. Dreamweaver does not create anything special. It's simply an interface that allows you to create CSS and HTML (including other technologies). What you do with the pages that it creates is up to you. They are no different than the ones you could create by hand or by using another program.

Having said that, many CMSs utilize a template system that is proprietary. This usually means learning its proprietary template system and then cutting and pasting your pages appropriately. Most CMSs treat web sites as modular, made up of many assets. One of its jobs is to peace those assets together.

Whatever approach you take, you cannot design your web site without knowing HTML and CSS. It's that simple.
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

So am i understanding that I am paying a company to do submissions every month and you are only supposed to submit your site once to all the major search engines? It is probably a waste of money at this time anyway because my site is a mess (underneath). What a nightmare.
    I bought the Traffic Blaze for the issue of saving a little time submitting to search engines,besides it was 19 dlls when I bought it ,but I'd never pay for site submission anymore!,just look at google for search enginess (free search engines), at my site I have a few search engines links,so maybe you can use them.

On the other hand, CMS is like Postnuke (I was using postnuke a years ago),currently I am using Geeklog.

So let me see if I am understanding CMS's a little better. Is a CMS just a "process" that includes creating, publishing and being able to edit your website content and then there are individual software programs that allow you to achieve this goal?
    You're thinking along the right lines. A CMS is the software that helps you achieve the goal of managing content for faster changes.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I like working with U-Edit. I use it to do my webpages. PSP for some of my backgrounds including 20/20 for viewing it tiled. Am content with it too. On my host, they allow me to work any corrections within the site itself and it allows also for uploading my files.
    Last edited by Raven; 10-23-2005 at 10:51 PM.