Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: web site creation - beginner

web site creation - beginner

Hi,

I hope I can get some help from this forum. I have an existing website that was created in Dreamweaver by a web designer and I pay her to make any changes I need. This is getting to be too expensive for us so I want to take total control of my site. I haven't decided if I should start from scratch and re-create the whole thing so I can really learn Dreamweaver from start to finish and because I think it needs to be optimized I don't think she did this when she created it. Or just try and do any changes that I need for the moment. Right now I have some minor text changes that need to be made and I want to add about 2 pages.

I have worked with a lot of software programs in the past e.g., all applications of MS Office, Corel Draw, PageMaker, Designer, and took one beginning HTML class about 7 years ago. Do you think learning Dreamweaver is too hard for someone to learn that is a total beginner and is not familiar with web site building lingo.

If I re-create the whole site I still want to keep my existing domain name is that possible and does DW have a FTP tool so I can upload it. Do you upload individual pages to the hosting server, or is the site a whole entity? Anyway that will be a whole other issue later.

You can see our site at http://www.chromehorserentals.com if it helps answer any of my questions. I also don't know if the form that is on our site was created in DW; can that be done using DW?

There was some talk earlier about static and dynamic, I think my site is static because there is no database involved, is that correct.

Do most hosting services support FrontPage now? I know this was an issue in the past. I have a copy of FrontPage 2002 but it seems that there is more positive feedback from ppl saying to use Dreamweaver because it is compliant or something like that. Anyway that's all for now, thanks for any help.

Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony c5,c6
    injury 03/03, age 23
    Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
    injury march 2003

thats a nice site
    you should be able to edit it no prob, to me the hardest bit would be the graphics.
    frontpage is easy, a bit like using m/s word, but it has limitations and for some reason certain webbers dont like it.
    i think dream is a little harder to understand.

ftp is easy. organize your site on your computer, logon to your host via ftp
    index.htm is nearly allways your 1st page.
    you can add/change files as you like with ftp.

1 thing i like about uploading through frontpage is it sorts out what your uploading with whats allready there. save lots of confusion and extra files on your site.
    survivor of beijing oeg transplant

I like DW,for me it was easy to learn,I have used it in a few sites I've built,though i just use HTML,my site English-Spanish-Services was built with just DW (it's very simple,not a fancy site).

I must say I prefer to use a CMS for my site Wheels for independence because it saves time and make any site look neater, with less effort for designing.

The hosting I have for wheels (Digital Sense Hosting)accepts FP,it has a special block for it.

Good luck at DW

I don't know if this will be of help but there's a program called Antenna Web Design thats easy to use here's a link http://www.stormdance.net/software/a...20overview.htm

Smile

Your web site is great, although it's a wreck under the hood.

It's always more difficult to work with an existing site that has been developed and designed by someone else. You're better off starting over and creating your own.

With respect to What You See Is What You Get programs, I think you're better off learning HTML and CSS. You do not need any special programs. As a matter of fact, I would argue some of these programs are more difficult to learn than the actual HTML and CSS.

FTP can easily be accomplished using a free program called FileZilla, one of many free FTP programs.

Learning all this will not be easy and will take some time. There are many web sites that offer free information for you to accomplish your goal. One of my favorite sites is W3Schools.

I think you need to get your feet wet. Once you have your feet wet, post any questions that you run into.
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

CMS?

Someone else also suggested using a CMS but then a couple more ppl have suggested that this method was not necessary because my site was simple and under 50 pages?

Wreck under the hood?

I knew it, but I don't know what should be done to fix it. I can have it (optimization) done by the ppl that submit my site monthly to the search engines; they want $1500 to do it.

Does DW walk you through with any tips on what you should do in your site to make it neat and clean and accessible to search engines when building your site? Or is this something that you only can know by experience.
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003

"I must say I prefer to use a CMS for my site Wheels for independence because it saves time and make any site look neater, with less effort for designing."

You're right this site is clean looking; i like it. What is a "CMS" are these different programs? or do you just write everything from scratch; code only?
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003

Quote Originally Posted by waters3
    CMS?

Someone else also suggested using a CMS but then a couple more ppl have suggested that this method was not necessary because my site was simple and under 50 pages?

Wreck under the hood?

I knew it, but I don't know what should be done to fix it. I can have it (optimization) done by the ppl that submit my site monthly to the search engines; they want $1500 to do it.

Does DW walk you through with any tips on what you should do in your site to make it neat and clean and accessible to search engines when building your site? Or is this something that you only can know by experience.
    There are many good search engines in which you can submit for free,it is a little slowly but at the end your site gets promoted, also joining forums and other sites will allow promoting your site.

At Go Daddy (Domain seller and more),they have a program: Traffic Blazer,it's not so expensive ($30.00 dlls more or less per year),you can submit your site to the best/most famous Search Engines.

CMS, helps you to keep a "theme" in your page/site and it organizes the info in blocks,also it gives you HTML customization,etc...

I found a good site that explains what a CMS is:

http://www.steptwo.com.au/papers/kmc_what/index.html

and I was very interested until I read:

"The good news is that a lightweight CMS, suitable for a modest-sized website, is not expensive. It can be as low as a few thousand dollars, or simply a complementary part of the web design project. "

I thought a CMS was supposed to be inexpensive? Also when I checked how much for example what etechsolutions CMS sold for it was over $7,000! Am I understanding that these programs are really for a large company that has several ppl working on the company's site at different times so need for organization is essential. Are there CMS programs that are just for individual's?
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Salimacatwoman
    There are many good search engines in which you can submit for free,it is a little slowly but at the end your site gets promoted, also joining forums and other sites will allow promoting your site.

At Go Daddy (Domain seller and more),they have a program: Traffic Blazer,it's not so expensive ($30.00 dlls more or less per year),you can submit your site to the best/most famous Search Engines.

CMS, helps you to keep a "theme" in your page/site and it organizes the info in blocks,also it gives you HTML customization,etc...
    So am i understanding that I am paying a company to do submissions every month and you are only supposed to submit your site once to all the major search engines? It is probably a waste of money at this time anyway because my site is a mess (underneath). What a nightmare.
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003