Thread: New wound treatment from J&J

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New wound treatment from J&J

One month after my son developed a 3rd degree sore on his IT, we went to a wound care center, where the doc debrided and gave us Regranex, a gel that helps promote new cell growth. It did better, but then stalled, and the doc recommended a plastic surgery consult.

At the consult, the surgeon told us of a new product by J&J, called 'Promogran', and asked us if we wanted to try it in combo with the Regranex. The 'inactivates harmful proteases and protects growth factors in a wound to facilitate healing'. Seems they were just at a conference, and it was suggested that the two in combo, Regranex to promote growth, and the Promogran to inactivate the the 'bad guys that inhibit growth, would be a good combination to try.

After exactly one month, the wound, which was the size of a quarter on the surface, with no undermining, but third degree underneath, had totally closed over! Amazing - we could see healing every time we did a change and applied the medicines, every other day.

When we went back to the wound care center for a check, the surgeon and all the nurses were so excited - turned out my son had been the first one they tried that particular protocol on!

This is all testimonial, I know, but it truly was amazing to see the results so quickly with the Promogran and Regranex. Saved months in bed, or possible surgery!

Here's the link to J&J about the product:

http://www.jnj.com/news/jnj_news/20020430_1401.htm

Wow - great news!

One more good thing in the fight against complications. And J&J is a great company. They'll be doing quite a bit for SCI as time goes on.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

did he have to stay off the sore?

Is this a cream or a dressing? I have/had a sore at my tailbone, top of my butt crack. It took nine months to close it up. Once in a while it will seep a little. wonder if this would make the skin stronger in this area.

...act like a survivor not a victim.

Wound care

You would still have to stay off the pressure ulcer to get any real healing. Regranex is a gel that includes tissue growth factors. Currently it is FDA approved only for diabetic ulcers, so many insurances will not cover it unless you are diabetic, and it is very expensive.

The J&J product is a dressing that combines cellulose and a collegen (protein) matrix. Because it includes collegen, it may cause allergic reactions in some, which is its main contraindication.

It is not a miracle, but may be helpful for some who have failed with traditional therapy.

(KLD)

As KLD said, yes, he did have to stay off it while using the combo.

KLD, I think the Promogran also is only FDA approved under certain criteria. To all, from what I understood from the wound care doc, because the product is so new, it's best to be under the care of a doc who has some experience with it, rather than having your family doc take a 'shotgun' approach with it.

The Promogran looks like a piece of white cotton 'batting' (can't think of how to describe it any other way!). You cut a piece to fit inside the open area of the wound, and place it over the wound. Regranex is a clear gel.

Medicaid paid for both the Regranex and Promogran (and covered the Regranex once before when he had a bone spur that poked through his toe, and the podiatrist prescribed it); so maybe the insurance companies are loosening up a bit.

Wheelinarcher - re your healed sore on your tailbone - do you keep it moisturized every day? Any good moisturizing cream - a la Keri lotion, etc.; just something to keep the skin from drying out and cracking.