Thread: Quad Drowned in a Hot tub

Quad Drowned in a Hot tub

A health care agency is in deep trouble. One of their aides left a quad with respiratory problems (has a trach) alone in a hot tub for a few minutes and he was submerged and weakly struggling when the aide came back. He died at the hospital. First of all, a doctor must've prescribed hot tub therapy for him and he never should have, right? Second, that aide shouldn't have left him alone. I've never used a harness, but they must not keep you that safe if you have a spasm and that quad might have.

I hope it's not a case of milking the quad for as much money as they could get from him. I'm horrified that this happened and hope if you're a quad with a trach that you don't use a hot tub.

Jan

this is awful

I would never have even implemented that order. No one in that situation should be immersed in water without serious supervision and constant hands on. Even then with a trach that is open...NEVER. How horrible.
    1FineSpineRN

This is terrible and negligent on behalf of that place. I hope the family sues them for all they have. Truly sad.

Unhappy

This is just too sad...

this is so sad to hear. i do hope that they sue, rightfully so.... i thought of getting a hot tub a while back, but a dr. told me that the temp. had to be no warmer than 85 degrees because of our muscles loosening up then tightening up after.... i wonder why he was there in the 1st place.

my thoughts and prayers go out to his family....

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

yikes, tough story, sorry.

Any common sense would hopefully tell someone that quads+trachs+hot tub+ignorant pca = trouble.

I have a hot tub but never go in alone.