Thread: Careers

Careers

I was just wondering how many of you fellow wheeled people have jobs, and what do you do? Im starting to think about college and I just wanted to know some things that other wheelers do for a living.
    ~Me~

What's your level of functionality? I'm guessing with your injury level, you have use of hands/arms?

Or maybe more importantly than that......... let's go the more controversial routes:

1. What do you enjoy doing?

2. What would/did you do before injury?

3. Are you able to go to an office/worksite and work 40 hours a week, or do you need a different schedule/setup?

I'm learning that there are so many ways to make goals and dreams work - maybe different than one would have done them conventionally, but don't give up on what you love without a fight, and without asking for adaptation help. Most of the time, the same brain that powered you before injury is at the same or better level than it was originally....

Speaking from experience, enjoying what you do, or doing what you love is soooo much more fulfilling and easier to make the effort for, good days and bad.
    Mrapunzel

Fear Less... Hope More...
    Whine Less... Breathe More...
    Talk Less... Say More...
    Hate Less... Love More...
    And All Good Things Are Yours.

I am an artist that designs cards and calendars. I paint for Mouth and Foot Painting Association.

I was a midnite-0800 stupidvisor before injury. Am now training to do computer work(mostly microsoft office stuff). Boring as hell, but its a job when I return to work. Am now doing rehab,and God only knows when workman's comp gonna turn me loose.

What turns you on, gives you satisfaction, gives you intellectual stimulation? Have you done some volunteering in an area that interests you?

The list of what you can't do is a lot shorter than the list of what you can do. Find something you love, and you are likely to find a way to do it, even if you are in a chair. If you are not sure, some basic vocational counseling or testing may help you focus on your strengths and interests.

(KLD)

Marketing. From home and office. Mostly meetings and working on PC
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Take one of those "what am I good at tests" in the guidance office. It'll list careers you may have never thought of. You can be whatever you want. NEVER let the chair old you back. When I was your age I only thought: teacher, nurse, lawyer.

Now I wish I went to school for acting/directing or something in the entertainmnet field or public relations maybe even Wall Street.

Don't limit yourself to (sorry if I upset some) typical careers for gimps (just my opinion. I acknowledge and admire those that do), social worker, psychologist...unless that's something you really wish to do!!

Choose something that gives you options.
    I'm a speech-language pathologist. I can work w/ kids or adults, treat or teach, research etc. work in a school/hospital or university etc.

You're only 16. Life has many wondrous opportunities.

Not long ago, I started working at a school teaching art ( what I love the most), to disable kids, it's quite challenging, but I am very passionate about it, I love it!
    *~*~Kaisha~*~*

http://www.dsusa.org