Thread: Retirement

Retirement

...eerh, why not consider this
    Sounds like the way to go. About 2 years ago my friend and I were on a cruise through the western Mediterranean aboard a Princess liner. At dinner we noticed an elderly lady sitting alone along the rail of the grand stairway in the main dining room. I also noticed that all the staff, ships officers, waiters, busboys, etc., all seemed very familiar with this lady. I asked our waiter who the lady was, expecting to be told she owned the line, but he said he only knew that she had been on board for the last four cruises, back to back.
    As we left the dining room one evening I caught her eye and stopped to say hello. We chatted and I said, "I understand you've been on this ship for the last four cruises". She replied, "Yes, that's true." I stated, "I don't understand" and she replied, without a pause, "It's cheaper than a nursing home".
    So, there will be no nursing home in my future. When I get old and feeble, I am going to get on a Princess Cruise Ship. The average cost for a nursing home is $200 per day. I have checked on reservations at Princess and I can get a long term discount and senior discount price of $135 per day. That leaves $65 a day for:
    1. Gratuities which will only be $10 per day.
    2. I will have as many as 10 meals a day if I can waddle to the restaurant, or I can have room service (which means I can have breakfast in bed every day of the week).
    3. Princess has as many as three swimming pools, a workout room, free washers and dryers, and shows every night.
    4. They have free toothpaste and razors, and free soap and shampoo.
    5. They will even treat you like a customer, not a patient. An extra $5 worth of tips will have the entire staff scrambling to help you.
    6. I will get to meet new people every 7or 14 days.
    7. T.V. broken? Light bulb need changing? Need to have the mattress replaced? No problem! They will fix everything and apologize for your inconvenience
    8. Clean sheets and towels every day, and you don't even have to ask for them.
    9. If you fall in the nursing home and break a hip you are on Medicare; if you fall and break a hip on the Princess ship they will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life.
    Now hold on for the best! Do you want to see South America, the Panama Canal, Tahiti, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, or name where you want to go? Princess will have a ship ready to go. So don't look for me in a nursing home, just call shore to ship.
    PS And don't forget, when you die, they just dump you over the side at no charge.
    Cheers!
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

I always wanted to live on a boat!

Would they mind if I fish of the back deck? Be some hellacious trolling back there!

*Sounds absolutely wonderful*
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

1. Gratuities which will only be $10 per day.
    2. I will have as many as 10 meals a day if I can waddle to the restaurant, or I can have room service (which means I can have breakfast in bed every day of the week).
    3. Princess has as many as three swimming pools, a workout room, free washers and dryers, and shows every night.
    4. They have free toothpaste and razors, and free soap and shampoo.
    5. They will even treat you like a customer, not a patient. An extra $5 worth of tips will have the entire staff scrambling to help you.
    6. I will get to meet new people every 7or 14 days.
    7. T.V. broken? Light bulb need changing? Need to have the mattress replaced? No problem! They will fix everything and apologize for your inconvenience
    8. Clean sheets and towels every day, and you don't even have to ask for them.
    9. If you fall in the nursing home and break a hip you are on Medicare; if you fall and break a hip on the Princess ship they will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life.
    This story is apocryphal (not true). It has been making the e-mail rounds for years and years.

Yes, there are rich people who live aboard cruise ships, but cruise ships run more like $200-250 per day, even on Princess (mid-range). Few people private pay for nursing home care either, at least not for very long at current rates ($5,000/month and more). Washers and dryers are not free (they are coin operated), although after 16 cruises you do get free laundry and dry cleaning. Sheets are NOT clean every day, although the bed is made daily. They change bed linens once weekly unless grossly soiled. Towels are clean daily unless you hang them back up on the rack, which they encourage. The beds are very narrow (narrower than a twin bed) and hard as rocks.

I can guarantee you that if you are injured or sick on a Princess cruise, you will NOT get a free cruise or suite...you will be lucky to get a credit for the part of the cruise you missed, which you can only use by purchasing another cruise. They charge regular rates for the medical care on board, and if you are ill, you will be evacuated from the ship at your expense (not Princess's). The ship's hospital will not provide free bowel, bladder, wound or other care or meds, and staff are not allowed to provide any personal services or care such as transfers or assistance with bathing. They will cut your food for you in the dining room, but not feed you. More and more cruise lines are now charging for room service...Princess is headed that way. The food is OK, but not great, although there is a lot of it.

You'd do a lot better to stay in your own home with a PCA, and save for a nice cruise once or twice yearly.

(KLD)

Find a hotel with continental breakfast and a cheap restaurant and you'll be better off.