Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with .30-06

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    Being English the whole hunting thing goes over my head (really rich people and Royalty do it here because we don't have such a wide range of beasties left to kill) but I admire the tenacity of you guys.

Question for Shaun......BEARS!!!!!! From your chair? What if you miss or graze the f*cker and he gets pissed and comes for you? I know you're a pretty fit guy but you and your x-cores would soon be chomped wouldn't they?
    In my able body days in the year 2000 I was hunting whitetail deer near my home in northern Alberta. I was alone and stalking three bucks for about 2 hours. I stood still for about a half hour just watching them waiting for a larger one to come out.

No larger buck stepped out and it was starting to get dark, so I decided it was time to start walking out of the bush. I was about a half an hour walking distance from my truck and I hated walking through the bush while it was pitch black, too many preditors in the area.

So I grabbed my rifle and my back pack, turned around and took about three steps. I heard a very small snap of a stick and stopped moving to listen. I looked to my right and could see vegetation moving very rapidly from something running. That something was running towards me very fast, very quietly and very black in color.

It was a black bear and it wasn't trying to scare me, it was hunting me. I had a thousand thoughts per second but my main thoughts were, fuck you, I'm not dieing today you fucker. So I pulled the rifle to my shoulder and aimed through my scope but it was too blurry to see what I was aiming at. My scopes range was set too far for the distance I was looking at. So I put the gun to my hip aimed as best as I could and fired.

This all happened in 4 seconds. The bear dropped less then ten feet away from me. My adrenaline was pumping so hard through my body I could barely stand. I tried reloading my bolt action rifle but I was shaking and hurrying so much I jammed the bullet. I reifed back on the bolt and the rest of the bullets hit the ground in the deep grass. My hands were shaking so bad I couldn't fing a bullet.

I finally found one after telling myself to get it together. It was like slow motion trying to get the bullet in the chamber. I forced myself to stand which took every bit of mental strength I had because my legs were jello with fear. I lifted the rifle at the bear. There was no movement.

I looked around throwing the muzzle of the gun at any and every sound or bit of grass moving. I yelled at the top of my lungs saying, yeeeahh you mother F***er, that's what you get. You F***ed up, you F***ed with the wrong guy. I was soooo happy to be alive, breathing, unhurt and still standing.

Heading out of the bush in the dark after what just happened was one of the most frightening things I've had to go through. Every sound that I heard I would swing my gun at ready to shoot. When I finally had my truck in view I ran for it as fast as I could and jumped in.

The next day I grabbed a good friend of mine and went out to tag and bring my attempted murderer home. We found him quickly laying exactly how he was when he dropped. His nose was buried in the hard ground up to his eyes because he had hit the ground so hard from running at me so fast. My bullet had hit the bear perfectly between the eyes.

I had a horse shoe up my ass that day along with someone watching over me I'm sure. Here's a pic of the bugger. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...d/HPIM0175.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino

Question for Shaun......BEARS!!!!!! From your chair? What if you miss or graze the f*cker and he gets pissed and comes for you?
    Will then he better had eaten his wheaties cause im gonna throw down old school and get all Jeramiah Johnson on his ass,i can bite to ...I havnt been bear hunting post SCI..

Reading that story Northquad sure brought back some memories.I had kinda the same thing happen to me but it was a Cougar...

I had a similar experience while hunting wild boar pre SCI. I was with a guide however and his gun jammed so he dropped it on the ground and jumped into a nearby tree. That boar took two shots to the heart (nicked the front and back of the heart with two shots) and nearly ripped me a new crack in my ass...
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

NQ,Shaun,moe...

Some pretty tight shootn guys! Havent had any anus-clenching adventures of that sort. Im really stoked. I tried the .30-06 today,and it rattled my ass a bit,but I could stay on target. Next up is the .50 muzzle loader. The season starts less than 2 wks and Im flippin goofy with excitement.

graybeard, glad to hear you threw some lead out there. I'm sure that "06" tried to whack ya a bit. My 7mm mag has a muzzlebrake which helps considerably. There's a relatively new muzzle brake out called the "Howitzer" that claims to completely eliminate recoil. I'm going to get one and see how she goes.

I think you'll enjoy the muzzleloader. I got one this year, a .50 cal New England Firearms Sidekick. I've almost got a load developed for it. I've been working in increments between 100 & 110 grains of Triple 7 powder behind a 300 grain Dead Center in a sabot. I think one more range session will get it zeroed with a decent 100 yard group.

It was quite a learning experience. At first I didn't know to run a wet patch down the barrel after the shot. I was ramming a dry patch down there and damn near needed a team of wild horses to get the rod out! I quickly figured out that using Thompson's #13 cleaner on the patch cured the fouling dilemma.
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Shawn, those cougars are definately silent killers. It's a good thing you noticed it before it was on your back.

Quote Originally Posted by stlyin moe
    It was quite a learning experience. At first I didn't know to run a wet patch down the barrel after the shot. I was ramming a dry patch down there and damn near needed a team of wild horses to get the rod out! I quickly figured out that using Thompson's #13 cleaner on the patch cured the fouling dilemma.
    Stylin Moe, that line with the wild horses nearly killed me. Too funny.

just a side note, how do you get the pics to show up? I'd post the pics of the hog I shot but don't know how...

Quote Originally Posted by stlyin moe
    just a side note, how do you get the pics to show up? I'd post the pics of the hog I shot but don't know how...
    Go to www.photobucket.com it's a hosting site, register yourself, it's free, and upload your pictures there. You just have to click on browse when your on your personal page and it will direct you to your pictures on your computer. Then just double click on whatever picture you want to upload and then push submit. You then scroll down after it's finished uploading and you will see Url, Tag, Img along with other letters beside them. You just right click on either of the letters behind Url or Img and copy them. Then paste on your message here at Care Cure. The Url will look like a link and the Img will let the image pop up on your message. If that seems a little complicated it's probably because I made it really complicated but it isn't once you've got it.

You guys are all nuts but i'm impressed.........keep the stories coming NorthQuad - that was really well written - had me shivering in my chair with tension
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

NorthQuad. Scary story and this situation in the darkness must have been really scary as you write. We seldom hear about hunters being attached by bears, and I have never been close to any situations as posted in this thread. But to my understanding black bears are one of the most aggressive of bears…

This said, just a month ago on a bear hunt here in Norway as a matter of fact (it was in many newspapers and TV) a man in a bear hunting party was attached by a brown bear (Grizzly). The hunter came over the bear eating a sheep and fired a shot at the bear; he did not kill the bear by the first shot and was going to fire the second shoot when the rifle jammed. The bear really pissed I guess by this then attached him. The bear did bite him several places and also managed to get the hunters head in his mouth and the hunter did say he could hear the noise of the bears toots on his scull. While on the ground he managed to fight back and kick the bear so he was able to free his rifle and fire two new shoots to the bear, - he killed the bear by this. After a while the rest of the hunting team was at the scene and could help him. The hunter survived and after they had done some stitches on his scull and other places he was released from the hospital. I guess he also will never forget this incident. Here is a pic of the bear. Scary stuff reading about the Cougar and the wild boar as well. Don’t know how Cougars taste lol but wild boar are really good.