Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with .30-06

Hunting with .30-06

This will be my first year in the woods in a wheelchair. Has anybody used a .30-06? What precautions, if any, do I need to worry about? Do I have to lock the wheels, or keep them unlocked? What kind of recoil do I expect? When I used it before,it rocked me some,like any decent rifle will. I'm T 7/8, so can I shoot like before? Any help would be appreciated,thank you....John

I haven't yet shot my rifle from my chair but I expect a good kick. I know many people shoot 12 gauges and and other large calibers free hand in there chairs. I'm a C5 so I will need a gun rig to hold my 7mm Mag. because I would never be able to hold on to it. Here is a great place to ask any questions about hunting from a chair. http://groups.msn.com/huntingandfish...thdisabilities There are many hunters with disabilities here.

John. I think it will work fine for you. I can see you’re almost the same SCI level as I am. I have a .308 Win. I uses on shooting ranges and it works fine, no problems with the recoil. I use a good jacket for support. I also have a 300 Win. Mag. rifle and this also works fine. I have also a bunch of other rifles but here the calibres are smaller. When I am at the shooting range I don’t lock the wheels, depends on how the ground is from where you are shooting I guess. I have not been hunting after my SCI yet, but my uncle has invited me a couple times for moose hunting, maybe next year. Just a side note; what kind if game are you planning to shoot with your 30-06 Spfld? Over here a 30-06 Spfld. Is not allowed on moose, caribou etc. Not enough energy they say.

By the way; the .308 is an A-Bolt Browning Medallion fitted with the BOSS system. See link below. This also reduces recoil as much as 30%, so this rifle is almost recoil free. – Good luck.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/category.asp?value=013B
    Last edited by Leif; 10-15-2005 at 06:42 PM.

I have shot three White Tail bucks in the three years that I have been in the chair and I have used a 270 Winchester, 30 30 Thompson Contender and a 7mm 08 STW.

I am a C 6/7 and find that I need a rest to balance the guns on as I do not have enough strength in my trunk to keep from letting the firearm pull me out of the chair so to speak. I do nothing special as far as recoil etc. To me it seems just like before my fall when my 270 Winchester would kick like a mule at the range but in the field I never even noticed it. I was hoping that I when I bought the Thompson that I would be able to hold the gun with out needing a rest which I can do but then I find myself trying and I mean trying to stay steady as I get ready for the shot. Best of luck to you in the field then season.

Charles

Thanks for the help ya'll. I'm going to the range tommarrow to try it out. I think with Hornady light magnum rounds,I should do ok. I really need to find out what I can do with this rifle. Leif, I use the .30-06 for white tail deer here in the eastern U.S. I not sure I'm ready for the .444 Marlin. That gun used to bust my rear when I was ab. Can imagine it would be a mother to hang onto now. Good luck to you all this season. I'm gettn really excited to get back in the woods. North Quad,thanks for the website,this is great info.Nevada, a 7mm-08 STW? Now thats a sweet round!

I park myself sideways at a 45 degree angle to the direction I intend to shoot, lock the wheels, use a shooting stick of some sort (I made my own) as a rest and shoot from that position with my 7mm mag.

Leif, I know your game laws say the 30-06 isn't strong enough for Moose, but I can assure you it's plenty strong enough. I have a friend that has dropped about 10 Moose with his 270.

I've been working out with my .50 cal muzzleloader of late. The muzzleloader season is about to start here on Oct 31. My bigger problem is finding property I can hunt on. I cannot access the public woods because the use of ATV's is not allowed. This leaves only private property, but for liability reasons they're reluctant. I have a buddy working it from his end. We usually hunt his cousin's property, but we'd like a bigger place and he has some coworkers he's trying to get the OK from. It's bow season here right now. My crossbow shoots bolts like a lazer beam!
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by stlyin moe
    Leif, I know your game laws say the 30-06 isn't strong enough for Moose, but I can assure you it's plenty strong enough. I have a friend that has dropped about 10 Moose with his 270.
    Stylin. 30-06 and Moose. I know many calibres can kill a Moose but I was just wondering about the regulations in the US in this field, guess it can vary from State to State as well. For killing the moose, or not? Trajectory, energy, distance and bullet weight is important factors for a humane and quick kills, guess we have the rules over here because of such studies… Well I know over here many of the “laps” (native people) up in the north they use regular .22 LR calibres for killing Caribou, that is close range shots of course but not exactly after the book - hmmm.

In fact ATV’s are great for us to come into the woods, but the same here, very straight regulations, - hopes you and your buddy will find some ways to come around that problem because hunting in the woods are also something I miss. The crossbow seams interesting, but over here again hunting with those, bow’s and handguns etc. are prohibited. I was working for a few years up in Newfoundland, one fellow Norwegian there shot two black bears in one day only using the bow. I also had permit for hunting black bears but do not fancy bait hunt too much. Although buddy and his family eat the meat, he just told his children it was regular meat LOL. I also tasted it, not to bad actually. I prefer regular Moose hunt and Caribou hunt with a rifle. Wish you a safe and good hunt this season… And as a side note; it will not be many days before I will have a nice Moose roast in the oven mmmm (they sell it in local grocery stores here).

I use my "Cowboy Gun". Its a 30-30 Winchester model 94. I have many choices but this is my favorite. I was at the range the other day and they had the .50's out. That is my next gun! $7.00 a shot. Did you say moose?
    T-10 complete
    10/08/01
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO' what a ride!"

Ive always used a 30.06, ive had the same Winchester ranger since i was 20..deer,bear,moose and elk.Ive knocked bull moose down at 300yds with it,nice and clean,no big head sized hole.and another note,my father has always used a 270.on everything and he's dropped alot of big northern Saskatchewan moose with that gun.

Im sure you'll be just find graybeard,probably find a shooting stick like moe mentioned quite handy and easy to use.

Wheres Deadeye? Hard to believe theres a hunting thread and no Deadeye..

Being English the whole hunting thing goes over my head (really rich people and Royalty do it here because we don't have such a wide range of beasties left to kill) but I admire the tenacity of you guys.

Question for Shaun......BEARS!!!!!! From your chair? What if you miss or graze the f*cker and he gets pissed and comes for you? I know you're a pretty fit guy but you and your x-cores would soon be chomped wouldn't they?
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."