Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: divorce

Angry divorce

My husband left and now wants a divorce. We just built a home a year ago that is suitable for me in a chair. I am now living alone. Is there any laws or ADA stuff that would help me in court to try and keep my home. I would keep it but I can not afford it on SSI and my Job. I make about $2,000 a mos.

Would I be able to get spouse support and not loose my ssi?

If you have any info. please email at duffy@mdvl.net

Sorry to hear things didn't work out. I hope you do get to keep your house. Moving is a pain to begin with let alone finding accessible housing. Sorry I have no legal advice like what you are looking for.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Sorry to hear of your situation and hope it ultimately leads to better things for you.

In regard to social security... you wrote you recieve "SSI," are you sure it is not Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)?

If you recieve SSDI alimony or support would not be impacted, SSI would be.

I am so sorry to hear this Emmy. Wish I knew what to say or had some insight for you.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Have you considered roommates?

Get a good divorce lawyer right away. Get all the financial records from your marriage that you can. Don't sign ANYTHING without the advice of your own attorney (don't do a do-it-yourself divorce, or share an attorney with your husband).

Your disability can be considered in any settlement. Impact on your eligibility for benefits will vary depending on your work history, etc. Your attorney should hire an expert to prepare a life-care plan for you. This can be used as the basis for a settlement. Also discuss with the attorney the possibility of a special needs trust.

I would be very surprised if you are on SSI and not SSDI if you had enough income to build a custom home and were employed. The ADA has nothing to do with your situation.

(KLD)

Yes I am on ssdi, Thank you to everyone for your advise and concern.

ALL of SCI nurse's advice is excellent IMO.

Wish you well.

Unhappy The title of the thread caught my attention

No advice here, just wishing you the best.
    C3-C4 complete quad
    since 1/2004
    "I don't fear death, only the method of dying"

Blog Entries

My heart goes out to you. I'm sure he'll claim that the

disability has nothing to do with it..........
    On a tangental note, maybe this is another good reason for a roommate, homesharing database. We can, and should help each other.