Thread: Naltrexone

Pic is backpacking Alaska '93. How about 2012?

Naltrexone

My doctor recommended low dose naltrexone to help manage MS symptoms. Anyone with experience with or thoughts on this? Wise I am of course especially interested in your thoughts. Would it help spasticity of any origin or only particularly MS-related spasticity?

Also, do you have a sense of an expected timeframe for Tovaxin to become available if the trials go well?

Quote Originally Posted by singin_intherain
    My doctor recommended low dose naltrexone to help manage MS symptoms. Anyone with experience with or thoughts on this? Wise I am of course especially interested in your thoughts. Would it help spasticity of any origin or only particularly MS-related spasticity?

Also, do you have a sense of an expected timeframe for Tovaxin to become available if the trials go well?
    Singin,

It would be interesting to know whether naltrexone has any beneficial effects. Here are one abstract of articles on the subject.

Wise.
    [*] Agrawal YP (2005). Low dose naltrexone therapy in multiple sclerosis. Med Hypotheses 64: 721-4. The use of low doses of naltrexone for the treatment of multiple sclerosis (MS) enjoys a worldwide following amongst MS patients. There is overwhelming anecdotal evidence, that in low doses naltrexone not only prevents relapses in MS but also reduces the progression of the disease. It is proposed that naltrexone acts by reducing apoptosis of oligodendrocytes. It does this by reducing inducible nitric oxide synthase activity. This results in a decrease in the formation of peroxynitrites, which in turn prevent the inhibition of the glutamate transporters. Thus, the excitatory neurotoxicity of glutamate on neuronal cells and oligodendrocytes via activation of the alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-isoxazole-4-propionic acid class of glutamate receptor is prevented. It is crucial that the medical community respond to patient needs and investigate this drug in a clinical trial. Department of Pathology, The University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine, Room 153 B MRC, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242-1182, USA. yashpal-agrawal@uiowa.edu http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=15694688

I Am On LDN

Hi Everyone,
    I was diagnosed with MS and Transverse Myelitis November 2004 and September 2005 I started on LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone) and it has worked wonders for me. I started on Betaseron injections for the first 8 months and it did nothing but cause a Cellulitis infection in my right upper thigh that put me bedridden for 3 months and had to have surgery on it. It was the most painful thing anyone could ever go through so I did A LOT of research and talked to A LOT of people taking the LDN and decided to give it a try so I went to my Dr and he read the information I gave him and called me 2 days later saying it looked good and we'd give it a try. I take a 3 mg capsule every night at 9 pm. Here is my Website so you can read more on it and my research I have done. www.crystalangel.org
    The injections were costing $1400 a month and I get the LDN for $45 for a 3 months supply. It is well worth trying!!!!!! If you have any questions please feel free to email me. You can email me at crystalangel6771@yahoo.com.
    Always,
    Crystal