Thread: fluids going into lungs

fluids going into lungs

My friend who has a C6 injury and just entered rehab is having a fluid problem. When she drinks they say the fluids are going into her lungs she is breathing by using her diaghram. She is also having trouble with her blood pressure , dropping when they put her bed in standing position, I am assuming that this will adjust with time. Any suggestions??

Judy,

I can't comment on the fluids going into lungs while drinking - however, it's pretty normal for blood pressure to flux to either extreme when first sitting, standing, etc after injury and months of bedrest. One of the things that really helped my dad in the beginning was something very simple - "drinking" or "eating" (both through a feeding tube) about half an hour to an hour before getting him upright - seems to support the blood pressure and help with the dizziness.

~ Moe
    Mrapunzel

Fear Less... Hope More...
    Whine Less... Breathe More...
    Talk Less... Say More...
    Hate Less... Love More...
    And All Good Things Are Yours.

Drop in blood pressure called orthostatic hypotension due to pooling of blood in the legs. Very commons. Have them use hose that are at least 35 mm to 45 mm Hg (not the 10 mm) and put on and abdminal velcro binder before getting up.

Fluid in lungs- happening when she swallows? or coughs? Does she have a tracheostomy?Called aspiration. can cause aspiration pneumonia.
    This happens sometimes initially but clears over time. Needs a swallowing study to see the exact cause by speech therapist. Thicker liquids usually are easier to swallow. There is a thickener or the hospital should have prethickened juices.

CWO

No she does not have a tracheostomy. This happens when she swallows.

The swallowing study will tell her exactly what the problem is and how to compensate for it. It should get better.

CWO

I get fluids in my lungs all the time. I just always have to end up spitting it up when it begins to thicken. I don't know, I always drink when I'm in bed. Sometimes not really elevated.