Thread: pressure sore cushion

Question pressure sore cushion

Hi everyone Could you please tell me what you think would be the best best wheelchair cushion i could get for my dad he has a pressure sore middle of his hiney beside bone...He wants one that also wont sweat.. as his regular wheelchair cushion sweats him and he uses a regular pillow cushion on top of it might even be the reason for sore....SO anyway back to my question
    BEST WHEELCHAIR CUSHION ,does not sweat and will prevent and clear up the pressure sore he now has
    THANKS

There is no BEST cushion

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter
    Hi everyone Could you please tell me what you think would be the best best wheelchair cushion i could get for my dad he has a pressure sore middle of his hiney beside bone...He wants one that also wont sweat.. as his regular wheelchair cushion sweats him and he uses a regular pillow cushion on top of it might even be the reason for sore....SO anyway back to my question
    BEST WHEELCHAIR CUSHION ,does not sweat and will prevent and clear up the pressure sore he now has
    THANKS
    You should really take him to a seating clinic if there is one available in your area.

More important though is taking care of that sore before it gets worse. The area you refer to would have me at the rehab centre on what we here fondly refer to as a banana cart -- in other words he should be on his tummy.

As far as cushions goes, there is no BEST, the cushions react to the individual. So if brand X is good for Jane and John, it does NOT mean it will be good for Mary and Joe -- they may be better suited to brand Z.

Maybe our kind nurses could add some more in depth wisdom here?

Cheers!
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

pressure sore cushion

Daughter - LaoziSailor has clearly stated exactly what you should know. I thank him for his concise and clear explanation to you.

Pressure sores are caused by pressure being applied to the tissue over a bony prominence. This is a huge problem for persons living with SCI, as the person does not know when pressure is building up and compromising the tissues between the bone and the seating surface. The only way to eliminate a pressure sore is to remove the pressure, as was noted. i.e. on the tummy or side.

For more information on pressure sores, see:
    http://www.spinalcord.uab.edu/show.a...1&return=21874
    You can also go to the search feature on this site, enter pressure sore and it will take you to many past posts on this topic, as it is very common in SCI.

The key to pressure sores is prevention, which can include the proper wheelchair cushion, the proper mattress on one's bed and most importantly shifting position every two hours or more often. An area with excess pressure can break down in a matter of a total of 6 hours.

What level is your Dad's injury? Is he able to do weight shifts? Are you near his rehab facility so that he has access to a doctor with SCI expertise, a wheelchair seating clinic, etc. Has the pressure sore been evaluated and is he receiving any treatment for it?

If you are able to answer these several questions, we can provide more guidance. CRF

roho high profile is supposed to be a good cushion. another i've heard of is the isch-dish, with a cut out in the butt area. hope that helps ya...

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter
    THANKS
    "Tip" It would be helpful in the future when asking questions ,to fill out a portion of your dads public profile so that viewers can at least know the extent of his injury and be able to give reasonable advice.