Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Quads pay no Property Taxes in Florida!

Any news in other states?
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Still no news on this happening in any other states?
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

Blog Entries
    If you're disabled in Virginia Beach, VA, have less than $500,000 in assets, and earn less than $60,000 year (after a $10k deduction per individual in the household, so up to $100k per year for a family of 4), then you pay no property taxes. The relief is variable, actually, between 60-100% relief depending how close to the cut off you are. It's permanent, too, unlike other similar programs I've read about in other states, where the taxes are just deferred until your death, then owed by your estate upon death, or the sale of the house.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Seeing this thread pop up made me remember something....you guys need to come to Illinois! I filed for the disabled person's exemption, jumped through the hoops of getting a 'super disabled' state ID card to qualify for the exemption (with needed doctor visit to fill in form), filed the paperwork and waited for my property tax relief due to my disability creating severe financial distress.

I was so thankful that this disabled exemption reduced my $6154.05 bill by a whopping $136.74 last year. Someone had an interesting sense of humor with that "exemption", eh?

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder
    That is like a whole month of free cable TV

I am glad this thread came up as I moved to fl that is like 2 months salary for me yeah now to get the 2 dr to write the letters

I'm going to move at some point the Taxes are going to force me out. I will never move back to Florida because of the Hurricanes that I went through. I did notice this in Arizona if I want to go warmer than PA.

Pursuant to Arizona Administrative Code R15-4-116: Exemption for Totally and Permanently Disabled Person
    A. For purposes of the property tax exemption in the Arizona Constitution Article 9, Section 2.2, a person is ?totally and
    permanently disabled? if the person is unable to engage in any substantial gainful activity, for pay or profit, by reason of
    any physical or mental impairment that is expected to:
    1. Last for a continuous period of 12 months or more, or
    2. Result in death within 12 months.
    B. To qualify for the exemption, a disabled person shall be certified as totally and permanently disabled by a person licensed
    under:
    1. A.R.S. Title 32, Chapter 8, 13, 14, 17, 19.1, or 29; or
    2. The laws of another state that are comparable to the laws governing persons qualifying under subsection (B)(1).
    MEDICAL CERTIFICATION FOR TOTALLY AND PERMANENTLY DISABLED PERSONS
    THE FOLLOWING IS TO BE COMPLETED BY THE EXAMINING PHYSICIAN OR PSYCHIATRIST:

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    If you're disabled in Virginia Beach, VA, have less than $500,000 in assets, and earn less than $60,000 year (after a $10k deduction per individual in the household, so up to $100k per year for a family of 4), then you pay no property taxes. The relief is variable, actually, between 60-100% relief depending how close to the cut off you are. It's permanent, too, unlike other similar programs I've read about in other states, where the taxes are just deferred until your death, then owed by your estate upon death, or the sale of the house.
    We have similar here in Norfolk Oddity. Seems like a very fair program, a lot of older folks and disabled get hit hard when income is fixed and taxes go up over the years. We are not as affluent as our sister City Va Ba so the numbers are a little different but I think it is a very fair program.

I have never researched fully but I have assumed our programs are implemented and administered by the localities rather than the State.