Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Quads pay no Property Taxes in Florida!

Quads pay no Property Taxes in Florida!

What other states have this exemption. This should be nation wide. It may be the difference on whether I can afford to move out of state.

Exemption for Totally and Permanently Disabled Persons

1.Real estate used and owned as a homestead by a quadriplegic, less any portion used for commercial purposes, is exempt from taxation.

http://www.myflorida.com/dor/property/exemptions.html

Please come to New Jersey :

Wow Norm,
    I had no idea this was possible anywhere!
    I'm going to look into that in NJ, and maybe I'll come across info about other states as well, I'll post if I find out anything.
    C

Hi Cathy, It should be nation wide. When I contacted PA Tax office a few years ago, they were like are you dreaming!

Hey Norm,
    I just went to the NJ Dept of Revenue, and emailed them the question.
    I'll let you know when I hear.
    Hey, if it is in NJ (highly doubt it, totally NOT a tax friendly state),
    move here!
    C

In PA they give only a $500 rebate.NJ is a little far for me. I really want to be close to my Dad & Grandmother.

I'm a paraplegic and live in my own house in Florida. We have "Homestead Exemption" here which entitles everyone to exempt the first $25,000 off the assessed value of your home. For example, if its assessed value is $50,000 then you only pay property taxes on $25,000. And it's true that if you're a quad or a para you don't need to pay any property tax per se. I think property taxes are called "ad valorem" taxes. But in most, perhaps all counties (taxes are collected by the county) they have a tax called "non-ad valorem" taxes. This yearly tax is for things like the fire department and roads etc. and everyone pays them. I believe this year I'll be paying about $400. Not too bad I guess. Not that I enjoy paying taxes but everyone should pay a little bit to help out. You don't wanna feel like a total bum!

You may be surprised at how cheap housing is down here. I was born and raised in Levittown PA and my father only paid $9,500 for a brand new house back in 1955. But today those same houses can go for over $200,000 and they're only wood-framed houses. I'm sure most of them have been renovated and upgraded by now.... 50 years later.

Plus I hear the property tax rates are outrageous up north.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    Not that I enjoy paying taxes but everyone should pay a little bit to help out. You don't wanna feel like a total bum!
    If it could be the difference for some of us to able to live in our own home then it makes no sense to make quads pay. Florida is actually smart to try & keep their quads in their own homes instead of having to pay more to house them in a nursing homes. So Florida is actually saving tax payers money because they are doing the sensible thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm
    Exemption for Totally and Permanently Disabled Persons

1.Real estate used and owned as a homestead by a quadriplegic, less any portion used for commercial purposes, is exempt from taxation.

http://www.myflorida.com/dor/property/exemptions.html
    Just amazing, I wish it was the same here in Canada, I pay more than 2000$ a year for a small condo. Florida, here I come
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)