Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rooibos tea

Rooibos tea

I just discovered Rooibos tea. Seneca told me about it. I normally drink four or five cups of tea daily for the antioxidants. This tea has many times the antioxidant power of black tea and much more than even green tea. Check it out in the preceding link. I think if we eat healthy, get tons of immune-boosting nutrition, exercise, sleep enough and keep a positive attitude then we can stay healthier. It all contributes to keeping our immune systems at peak performance. Or so I've heard!
    ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

yup, been drinking them for quite a few years now. they are naturally caffeine-free too, unlike green tea. Out of the three - green, white, and red - the red tea is the strongest. I think it tastes like my grandpa's tobacco smelled if brewed too strong. I can get 4-5 cups steeped from one tea bag.

here's the kind I drink. I have them all, but Capetown Harvest is my favorite Red:
    http://www.republicoftea.com/templat...y.asp?navID=16

I'm not a coffee drinker, but used to suck down sweet tea like there was no tomorrow. My urologist put an end to that because of my kidney problems and switched me to green tea in 92. I picked up the white and red teas not too long after for some variety and other benies.

ETA: my favorite white is Pineapple Guava. Favorite Green - Pink Grapefruit and Wildberry Plum (I also use the plum one to make lip balm with. nummers.)
    Last edited by Jadis; 10-07-2005 at 11:43 AM.

I just bought a pound. LOL. So, I'll be making my own teabags. I think I'll brew it by the gallon and keep it in the fridge.

Back when I was using cranberry I used to buy a pound of cranberry powder online. It was just really hard to use that way. I think buying tea in bulk will be much better.

Jadis,

When you mentioned that your urologist advised you away from one tea and recommended green tea it struck a chord with me.
    I've had problems with kidney stones in the past pre-sci. Is green tea considered okay? Does green tea not promote problems or simply not promote them as readily as other teas?
    Anyone?
    Thanks.

Green tea is just unfermented tea so any kind of unfermented herbal tea can be referred to as green. The green tea from Asia we are accustomed to comes from the Camellia species. There's also a "green rooibos" which is even richer than the fermented rooibos.

It definitely makes me sleepy. I can only drink it at night. Honeybush tea is also good.

yup, he told me to stay away from black/orange pekoe. High acid content, I guess. I do find a difference. Since I had all the kidney problems, if I even drink a glass, my kidneys ache. I get the same response if I try to drink carmelized soda (pepsi, coke, etc - sprite, 7up doesn't do it).

I have noticed that my kidneys don't hurt nearly as bad now. I drink approximately 8-24 oz of teas a day.

Thanks for the reply. I enjoy green ice tea - I guess I can keep drinking it!
    Every little bit helps in keeping vitality and immune system strong!

I'm just now drinking my first cup of Rooibos. I made a tea bag with about three times as much tea as a normal tea bag. Then poured hot but not boiling water over it. It made a rich dark red tea instantly [pardon the pun]. My tea bag allowed lots of tea to float out. But after time all the tea sank to the bottom so it became drinkable..... all but the last gulp. I added splenda. It's really good. Tastes like a spiced tea.

i don't know anything about the anti-oxidant factor with peppermint tea but it's my favorite

it helps me go #2 also
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Not to be juvenile but...

I get a boner about an hour after drinking green tea...

What's up with that?! Am I alone?