Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried the e-stim bike?

Has anyone tried the e-stim bike?

I was looking around for the e-stim bike and I found one.I want to get it see how it works and if it does work.Has anyone tried these or owns one? have you gotten anything back in return or gotten a workout from it?
    God is good

rollinprincess - Many of us here own stim bikes. I and a few others own Stimmasters. Several people own Ergys bikes. One guy has just purchased the new RT-300. Most posts about stim bikes are in the Exercise Forum but there are also several in the Equipment Forum.

You can also do a search.

has anyone tried the e-stim bike

rollinprincess3227 - As noted in the previous post, there are a few stationary ergometers or 'bikes' on the market. I am most familiar with the ERGYS2 which delivers electrical stimulus, by means of a computer, to the paralyzed muscles in a sequential manner. The person is able to cycle the ergometer using his or her own metabolism.

The benefits are many and you do get a very good workout. The intent of the stationary ergometer is not to promote functional return or enable you to walk, but rather to keep the muscles active, with good muscle mass, and increase muscle strength. The use of the 'bike' contributes to improved cardiovascular function, improved circulation, improved immune system function, reduces the severity of spasticity and makes it more manageable and helps you build up your energy stores. Most of the people who use this feel good and find that their legs develop a more normal shape; sitting tolerance is improved and the risk of pressure sores is reduced. Ultimately, the use of this medically-approved device will keep you in good condition and contribute to your good health, both of which are very important for the potential outcomes of and possible candidates for SCI research.

There are some insurances that will reimburse for this medically necessary device. CRF
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 10-06-2005 at 10:32 PM. Reason: clarification and additional information

Wow, CRF, thank you. That was a great post. So much info packed in there. Kind of like a mini-primer on FES. I'm going to utilize this post in the future.
    ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

has anyone tried the e-stim bike

Jeff - Thanks, I am glad that the post is helpful and can help others. I have been involved with this technology for about 16 years. My former patients were healthy, felt good, never had pressure sores and were insistent that it be a part of their weekly routine. CRF

CRF - I think FES is the most under utilized medical technology I can think of.

When I first bought my stimmaster my Phys Med doctor was skeptical. His words, "If there was any benefit we'd be wiring everyone up." LOL.

I forged on ahead. After 20 years of paralysis FES initially caused massive swelling in my legs. The same doc saw me for that.... sent me for a veinous doppler.... put me on Daypro for the swelling.... and finally concluded that more FES was the only way to go. If I had to guess I'd say he was using me for a clinical trial of his own with a sample of one at my expense. He said that he prescribes exercise for most problems like arthritis and that I should just keep exercising.

Well..... for four years I continued off and on. Mostly on. If I stopped my FES longer than three weeks then starting up again would mean pain in my knees. Never failed. But I finally defeated this. I recently took a three week hiatus from FES, returned, and had no pain in my knees. I think I have rehabbed my knees and hips. I often pedal on the highest resistance setting without pain. I'd love to know my bone density. I think it's good because I keep falling horribly and never fracture anything.

Anyway, turning 40 caused my abdomenal wall to relax which really changes my appearance. My posture needs a lot of work. But I'm convinced that FES is keeping me REALLY healthy for a 25yr quad in his 40's. There's just nothing like it.
    ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

has nayone tried the e-stim bike

Jeff - thanks for sharing your long history with FES. My history with patients was only for about 10 -15, although I just spoke with a former patient, who is still using his and he is at the 20 year mark. Over the years, his health has remained very good. I am not a researcher, but the reported outcomes certainly point to benefits. In my years working with this technology, and as I have stayed in touch with the manufacturers of the ERGYS 2, there are not reported negative consequences. You could buy 5 stationary ergometers for the cost of one flap repair!!

In the past, I have heard Dr. Barth Green, Miami Project, say in more than one lecture, that every quad should have the opportunity to use the FES ergometer.

The other interesting information is that SCI researchers say that there are three important things that the person living with SCI should do:
    • Maintain a good nutritional intake
    • Stay as healthy as possible
    • Stay as physically active, as possible, within the limits of one's level of paralysis
    Using FES helps the person achieve all three of these important goals. CRF

Would you recommend the so-called bikes to someone with hardly any sensation and movement?

We were told that quads with pacemakers were NOT good candidates for FES and that it was dangerous for them to try it.... anyone else experience the same warning?
    Mrapunzel

Fear Less... Hope More...
    Whine Less... Breathe More...
    Talk Less... Say More...
    Hate Less... Love More...
    And All Good Things Are Yours.

yeah i was in a three month trial at shriners and it was in the paper work as well as the possibility of burns, pressure sores, and broken bones. of course, all of these are low risk to highly unlikely.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com