Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dr. Young, your take on Kevin Trudeau?

MRP, thanks for your thoughts, ...your points are well-taken. I would agree that nutrition plays a large role in our health and that pure herbs found in nature can be, in some situations, as effective in healing as some mainstream medicines. However, Trudeau's extravagant conspiracy theories exploit the the disconnect between homeopathic treatment and modern medicine. I think it is clear that he hurts the cause much more than helps.
    Last edited by spaceboy; 10-05-2005 at 08:11 PM.

MRP,

I sympathize and empathize. I received training as a doctor and know that we don't get much education about nutrition other than information about vitamins, proteins, carbohydrates, and fat. Most of these are from the viewpoint of pathology rather than nutrition.

Nutrition science has been slow to develop and medical nutrition science in particular has a very poor track record. For example, we were told that cholesterol is bad. When the data did not support that theory, we were told that there are "good" and "bad" cholesterol. In the meantime, billions of dollars of anti-cholesterol drugs were sold. Then we were told that fat is bad and that low-fat diets are good. Although the data is not yet in, the data has been discouraging. Under the theory that low-fat diets are healthy, Americans have shown a trend for increasing obesity.

I am not sure that the pseudoscientific nutritional groups claiming that high-fat, low-carb, or high-protein diets are any better. Common sense tells us that this is all nonsense and that unbalanced diets often have consequences that we don't understand. Most scientists that I know avoid the nutrition because they think that it is bad science. But, as we all know, we are what we eat and food does make a difference.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP
    For almost 5 months I have been witness to how our Doctors, hospitals and pharmicutical companies work. I can honestly tell you that they are not concerned about our health. More so on what drugs they can use to treat the next symptom. And their drugs cause the next symptom!!, know as side effects that they don't tell you about.!! Nutrition is of no concern to them (doctors) as I have had several different doctors at a quote "# 1 Rehab Center in the world", tell me that, "there is no proof that nutrition plays any role in ones recover from surgery, mass antibiotics and other meds due to treatment for SCI". And even the head doctor told me that "he knows nothing about nutrition and to please refer else were". So we did, with a perfessional with a PHD several degree's and a strong practice and well respected in the feild of nutrition, only to be told
    "not in our hospital it was against the hospital rules".

The FDA Pharmicutical companies hospitals and some Doctors don't really want cures or healthy people- They might be out of a job.

180- days,Three hospital, over 20 so called top doctors all conclude that there is no redeeming value for nutrition or homeopathic remedies in SCI patients. These guys are the real criminals.

I watched my mother beat breast cancer without radiation or Chemo, surgery yes but all other treatments done on natural foods and herbs, as well she beat several other illnesses.

So believe what you want, but keep and educate an open MIND-

By the way I am keep my son alive by making sure he gets the right nutrition.

Thank you Wise for your comments,
    Most importantly we are what we eat, absorb and assimilate.

Trudeau's title to his book and the absents of text may come across as a con, but he does get us to open up our minds. Something more of us should do.
    Anyone that would believe that the top corporation in our country are looking out for our best interest or welfare, is like believing cigarettes don't cause cancer. Just ask the employees from Enron.

The true tragdity is that common sence is being disregarded by our health- care industry. Why? What will it take for us to see that and do something about it. Long before there was western medicine people were being cared for with succsess.
    I ask the question,:
    Why won't the Hospital and docters get their act together on the most basic form of nutrition and apply it?
    If It takes someone like Trudeau to get us to start the diolog then he should be viewed as another Christopher Columbus, not a crook.

Staying up on the most recent medical devices, surgical techneics and medications is something most all doctors and hospitals take pain staking time and efforts to do. Thats great! Why would they egnore the most basic form of health care- Nutrition.

I do believe that doctors have done great things for mankind. Could you imagine if they just would incorporate nutrition and Eastern Medinces into their applications.

MRP, when I first went to China in 1999, most of the hospitals had nearly half of their facilities devoted to herbal medicine and acupuncture. I was quite impressed by the smell of herbs pervading the hospital wards. Most Chinese surgeons that I met had a neutral or positive opinion about the use of herbs and acupuncture on their patients in the hospital. It is my impression that these sections of the hospitals are shrinking and there is more reliance on western medicines and surgical approaches. I know that Sang Lan, for example, received herbal medicines shortly after her injury and most Chinese patients also took such medicines.

We should not make the mistake of assuming that the herbal medicines are innocuous, however. Many have anti-inflammatory or pro-inflammatory chemicals in them, as well as anti-oxidants. Digitalis (ouabain is a powerful toxin that blocks Na/K pumps) is probably one of the most important treatments for cardiac failure. Many herbs have natural analogs of different hormones. Plants like ginseng have complex mixtures of chemicals that have been shown to have cellular effects. Of course, many herbs contain salicylates (aspirin) and other compounds. In fact, a number of pharmaceutical companies specialize in testing natural organic compounds found in exotic plants all over the world. Nature is probably the greatest inventor of organic molecules. Toxin biology has contributed many of the most important drugs used in medicine today.

In my opinion, it is a mistake to think of the pharmaceutical industry as a monolithic entity that is altruistic and dedicated to the health care of people. They are driven by profit. When profit and healthcare of people coincide, it is good for people. When they are not, then people suffer. On the other hand, it is a mistake to think of the pharmaceutical industry as an evil entity that is bent on taking advantage of people. I know many people in the pharmaceutical industry and most are good people. In many ways, the large pharmaceutical companies have become almost like universities with many departments and schools of thought, with intense competition between groups within the companies for the resources of the company. In order to succeed within such an environment, a treatment must have a champion or champions who can push for research and resources through the constant rollercoaster ride of successful and failed experiments. Many of these champions of treatments are altruistic.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP
    Most importantly we are what we eat, absorb and assimilate.

Trudeau's title to his book and the absents of text may come across as a con, but he does get us to open up our minds. Something more of us should do.
    Anyone that would believe that the top corporation in our country are looking out for our best interest or welfare, is like believing cigarettes don't cause cancer. Just ask the employees from Enron.

The true tragdity is that common sence is being disregarded by our health- care industry. Why? What will it take for us to see that and do something about it. Long before there was western medicine people were being cared for with succsess.
    I ask the question,:
    Why won't the Hospital and docters get their act together on the most basic form of nutrition and apply it?
    If It takes someone like Trudeau to get us to start the diolog then he should be viewed as another Christopher Columbus, not a crook.

Staying up on the most recent medical devices, surgical techneics and medications is something most all doctors and hospitals take pain staking time and efforts to do. Thats great! Why would they egnore the most basic form of health care- Nutrition.

I do believe that doctors have done great things for mankind. Could you imagine if they just would incorporate nutrition and Eastern Medinces into their applications.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 10-07-2005 at 08:45 AM.

I'm not a fan boy of the pharmaceutical industry. And I think their drugs are way over priced. And yeah, I've heard all the hooey about those long years of expensive research and development. In the past few months I've paid cash out of pocket $100.99 for 10 -Cipro 500mg XR caplets and on another occasion $279.00 for 30 of the same thing. I'm on Medicare so have no prescription drug plan and that kind of money hurts. But when I take the Cipro it does knock the hell out of my bladder infection in no time but of course I take the whole regimen as prescribed to make sure. It works as advertised. How much is almost instant relief from a dangerous and painful infection worth?

There are no herbal remedies that can even begin to accomplish this antibiotic action. I wash down a couple cranberry capsules each day with a glass of lite cranberry juice to prevent the bacteria from clinging onto my bladder wall but my guess is that it probably doesn't do a thing. I've read about some tests that say otherwise but even those claims have very limited positive medical results. They aren't results that you would want to trust your life to. A few percentage points here or there... but you certainly wouldn't want to rely of them to knock out a bladder or kidney infection.

Herbal remedies need to be tested in the same fashion that FDA controlled drugs are and then we'll see just how effective or ineffective they are. They shouldn't have been removed from the FDA protocols to begin with. The herbal remedy/herbal food supplement industry should pay for these non-biased independent studies and tests to determine the efficacy of their products. Instead they hide behind labeling them "food supplements" so they're exempt from the FDA rules but when you read their literature you'd swear the stuff is manna from heaven and will perform as advertised. Fancy legal disclaimers notwithstanding. God knows they're swimming in money from all of us hoping that we'll find some help in these products and some hope to control the bullsh*t we as SCIs have to endure everyday. To the herbal remedy/food supplement industry I say put up or shut up. But the industry won't because they know that 99% of their products will be proven useless and the remaining 1% will have negligible positive medicinal effects. Perhaps my numbers are off but my point is made. The evidence the industry does provide is nothing more than anecdotal at best.

I've also tried garlic for bladder infections. And valerian root for sleep (it actually kept me awake!) and Saint John's Wort for depression. None of this stuff works. And probably half a dozen other herbal remedies/food supplements and not one of them has ever had any positive effect on me.

I'm not saying that strong and potent chemicals aren't found naturally in plants. They are. One of the latest chemo drugs for certain types of cancer called Taxol is derived from the bark of the Pacific yew tree. But it needs to concentrated to such a degree that in it's natural form it's basically useless. And that's true of many plant derived drugs. I don't know how many leaves from a willow tree that you'd need to eat to get enough aspirin to take care of a mild headache but I'd bet it's quite a few. A good example of a plant derived potent drug used in modern medicine is coumarin. It can be used medically as a blood thinner and in greater concentrations as a rodent pesticide!

Everyone knows that a balanced diet preferably of clean and healthy foods is good for us. And we probably should eat a lot more vegetables. Perhaps a multi-vitamin everyday too. Sometimes you have to be careful with "organically" grown foods for fear of E.coli and other bacterial contaminents that can be found on some of these fruits and vegetables. It would be better if there weren't any growth hormones in milk and meat and no antibiotics or preservatives either but if you want easily available affordable food these are the evils we'll probably need to put up with. Just try to limit your intake of milk and meats... and mercury tainted fish!

I think the multi-billion dollar herbal remedy/food supplement industry is a sham and that it's their responsibility to prove their products perform as advertised if they ever want to be taken seriously. But they won't because they don't need to. They know how to use Madison Avenue sales tactics just as effectively as anyone else and they have a huge pool of drooling customers only too willing to pay for a miracle in a bottle. P.T. Barnum's famous quote is still applicable today. "There's a sucker born every minute."
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

I have always been the first to seek professional advise from our doctors first! I believe there are good many people in our health care industry as well even a few in our government.

Knowing the huge advancements made in science and their use in medical achievements for treatments and recovery are invaluable. However, the blatant disregard for the nutritional well being of any patient is an act of malpractice in my eyes, maybe not legally but defiantly morally.
    For a common vitamin or hole food to take the place of an antibiotic and not be used is a little like starting a 100 arc. back fire to put out a camp fire.
    It just doesn't make sense at all.

Knowing your body chemistry, being well educated on nutrition is the key to a healthier life, mentally, physically and spiritually.

For those that wish to eat Mc-D burgers and pasteurized milk good luck!!

For the cost of a hospital stay the patients should be getting served nothing but the best whole and or organic foods as well as the best natural vitamins.
    On an average our tab runs us about $125K every 30 days. Not including the additional $$ we spend on whole foods and supplements.

MRP

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    MRP, when I first went to China in 1999, most of the hospitals had nearly half of their facilities devoted to herbal medicine and acupuncture. I was quite impressed by the smell of herbs pervading the hospital wards. Most Chinese surgeons that I met had a neutral or positive opinion about the use of herbs and acupuncture on their patients in the hospital. It is my impression that these sections of the hospitals are shrinking and there is more reliance on western medicines and surgical approaches. I know that Sang Lan, for example, received herbal medicines shortly after her injury and most Chinese patients also took such medicines.

We should not make the mistake of assuming that the herbal medicines are innocuous, however. Many have anti-inflammatory or pro-inflammatory chemicals in them, as well as anti-oxidants. Digitalis (ouabain is a powerful toxin that blocks Na/K pumps) is probably one of the most important treatments for cardiac failure. Many herbs have natural analogs of different hormones. Plants like ginseng have complex mixtures of chemicals that have been shown to have cellular effects. Of course, many herbs contain salicylates (aspirin) and other compounds. In fact, a number of pharmaceutical companies specialize in testing natural organic compounds found in exotic plants all over the world. Nature is probably the greatest inventor of organic molecules. Toxin biology has contributed many of the most important drugs used in medicine today.

In my opinion, it is a mistake to think of the pharmaceutical industry as a monolithic entity that is altruistic and dedicated to the health care of people. They are driven by profit. When profit and healthcare of people coincide, it is good for people. When they are not, then people suffer. On the other hand, it is a mistake to think of the pharmaceutical industry as an evil entity that is bent on taking advantage of people. I know many people in the pharmaceutical industry and most are good people. In many ways, the large pharmaceutical companies have become almost like universities with many departments and schools of thought, with intense competition between groups within the companies for the resources of the company. In order to succeed within such an environment, a treatment must have a champion or champions who can push for research and resources through the constant rollercoaster ride of successful and failed experiments. Many of these champions of treatments are altruistic.

Wise.

kevin tredeau is a crackpot scam artist and many like him he obviously does know what actually causes diseases. he makes an absurd statement on how a chemical in a plant found in south america could knock out every virus, which is impossible since each virus is different from each other. virus has been here for billions of years. they had the time to adapt to their host. VIRUSES WOULD BECOME IMMUNE TO his so called cure because they can mutate. Aids for example has become resistant to most drugs now