Thread: Shower/commode chair question

Shower/commode chair question

My son would like to learn to do his own BP and we are wondering what chair some of you use that would allow you the room to insert a suppository and do the dig stim? The chair we currently have would be very difficult for him to use on his own. He is a c6/7 with really good use of arms, wrists and some return in the right hand. Thanks for any input!

We recommend a "tilt in space" chair.

CWO

What is a "tilt in space" chair? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mombo
    What is a "tilt in space" chair? Thanks!
    First they load you in a rocket and send you to the space station ...

<heh> seriously though, here's a site and picture (Iwas really curious as well ):
    http://www.allegromedical.com/bathro..._chair.P189136, wow!, ...heavy duty chair folks

Cheers!
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

I use what I am assuming to be a regular active aid chair. It is about the same height as my chair for easy transfers. You can have part of the seat cut out for easy access to reach underneath if you need. I have regular seat and lean over a little to use the stem and suppository inserter.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

shower/commode chair question

Mombo - are you near your son's rehab? If so, do they have an outpatient SCI program? Often times, after a person is home for awhile, one begins to identify ADLs and other needs, that if a new technique was learned, one's independence could be increased. This is an appropriate time to seek more Occupational Therapy, if you have access to OTs who are SCI familiar. I have known some persons who have chosen to go back to rehab for a short stay with the express purpose being to work on skills that would enable that person to become more self sufficient and capable. CRF

I love the idea of sending my son off into space! lol! He would not appreciate this humor! Thanks for all of your input. We are close to his rehab and will look into that - I did not think that would be an option! I love this web site - you are all awesome!