Thread: Looking for wheelchair athleetes around the Jersey area....

Looking for wheelchair athleetes around the Jersey area....

Hello!
    I am looking for some wheelchair atheletes (any sport).
    I am working on a project at Rutgers University...Please email me. I'll tell you more about it....

Wc Diva - good luck with your project.

And please understand this is not directed at you but where's BigB when you need 'em huh??

lol - the irony.

I understand what you are saying, but I’m not getting any Bb out of this....neither the school or the faculty...this is a community service and my intention is to create awareness for the disabled community specially wheelchair users.....
    This project is for the department of Social Work at Rutgers, but is designed by me and it was my idea....I am the only wheelchair user on campus and there was where the idea came from!.... if you want to know more email me ok.....

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelchair_Diva
    I understand what you are saying, but I’m not getting any Bb out of this....neither the school or the faculty...this is a community service and my intention is to create awareness for the disabled community specially wheelchair users.....
    This project is for the department of Social Work at Rutgers, but is designed by me and it was my idea....I am the only wheelchair user on campus and there was where the idea came from!.... if you want to know more email me ok.....
    Sounds like a great idea, I wish you luck and if you need any help feel free to ask. I thought there were 12 wheelchair users
    Don't ignore the Reeve Legacy, Remember he and Dana supported open research and fought hard for ESCR

StemCellBattles

Support H.R. 810

One place to definately start would be talking to the people at the NY office of the United Spinal Association www.unitedspinal.org since they sponsor a lot of wheelchair sports activities. You can also talk to people from the PVA www.pva.org . USA used to be the EPVA but broke off from the national PVA organization several years ago, so their activities are now separate. USA also does not limit its membership to military veterans as PVA does.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    One place to definately start would be talking to the people at the NY office of the United Spinal Association www.unitedspinal.org since they sponsor a lot of wheelchair sports activities. You can also talk to people from the PVA www.pva.org . USA used to be the EPVA but broke off from the national PVA organization several years ago, so their activities are now separate. USA also does not limit its membership to military veterans as PVA does.

(KLD)

KLD I got some info from United spinal, hopefully I will get a sport team. Is there any site/place that involves women wheelchair athletes. I've only seen men teams. Hey, what about women athelets in WC? Anyone?

Smile

Hi Diva,
    Children's Specialized Hospital in Mountainside used to sponsor at least two wc (basketball and racing) teams and The Henry Kessler Foundation (not the Rehab Institute) in West Orange also does (racing) and does research too. Jennifer Gallo is on the US Women's Paralympic Racing Team is from NJ and I assume can be googled, Tony Nogueira (Glen Ridge) is a world class racer and an annual top placer in the NYC Marathon, and there are any number of excellent monoskiers from NJ (try www.adaptivesportsfoundation.org or www.sitski.com for some names).
    Make some more calls - they should all be close to Rutgers.
    Good luck,
    Carl

While there are women who play team wheelchair sports, there are many fewer than there are men. I know a few women who play on mixed quad rugby teams, and there are a few women's wheelchair basketball teams. I know more women who are involved in individual sports though (archery, swimming, road racing, sailing, etc.). I think part of the reason is there are so many fewer women with SCI, and getting enough together for a team can be pretty difficult. Not all sports lend themselves to mixed teams.

(KLD)

I used to play competitive wheelchair tennis.

I was one of only 3 quad women in the country @ 10 years ago.

That count? LOL!

I ski and bike but I live a ways from you. Hope you find something. SW rocks Sorry I know I'm being a dork but that's my major also, have my BSW, working on my MSW.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni