Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: project walk

project walk

i was just looking on the project walk website, how much does it cost to go there?????????
    that's just the way I roll.

Alex;

It is $100 per hour. Most clients go for 6 to 12 hours per week.

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

have you ever been john?
    that's just the way I roll.

Alex;

My son was a client at Project Walk for over a year. Here is a link on my personal impressions. This was written 1 and 1/2 years ago but is still accurate to my feelings. http://carecure.org/forum/showthread...t=Project+Walk

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

it costs a fortune.

/
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Hands

Hi John -
    Your information is very helpful and I seem to recall reading somewhere that Noah (aka Buckwheat) is now able to walk short distances.

I wonder if you (or he) could comment on any returned function to his hands and fingers. We have a good friend who is a C5-C6 with slight finger movement that is not functional. Obviously having some finger/hand use would enable much more independance.

Thanks in advance and best to Noah.

Hey Feisty;

Yep, a fortune. But it is not Project Walk that is expensive. It's actually a bargain compared to conventional institutionalized PT and OT, which normally cost between $175 and $200+ per hour. We have also seen plenty of that and most of it lacks the intensity of PW.

But comparisons aside, what is expensive is SCI. It just keeps coming at you, as you well know. We are all in the same boat with the unending expense of these injuries. PW provides a legitimate alternative but it is not affordable to all, especially when you consider relocation costs. What should be standard care and covered by insurance AND Medicaid/Medicaire is available in maybe 4 or 5 places in the country and you must pay out of pocket.

This reality of ongoing cost to stay healthy, of predictable and unpredictable complications that SCI so generously distributes to everyone who is injured, the necessity of a lifetime of hardware (catheters, wheelchairs, commodes, hand controls, meds, housing adaptations, etc., ad infinitum)....all of this gives credence to our need for restorative therapies.

NO ONE CAN AFFORD SCI and yet our legislators sit on the collective butts with the CRPA stalled in committee. Meanwhile our fearless leader Dubya has stuck a knife in the heart of our hope with his hypocritical stem cell policy which accomplishes nothing for no one including the embryos (technically they are blastocysts).

Ok, now I feel better.

John

Hi Beachluvr;

First of all Noah is incomplete to a high degree. I don't know how you measure such things but he continues to see return. Yes, he can step and walk some distance with Canadian Crutches. However, his tone and spasms make it dysfunctional.

Of note, though, was our recent trip to So. Cal. to his home there from our home here in Oregon. He and I drove the entire way in separate cars. He did the entire 1100 miles on his own. When we stopped at rest areas, he would get out of his car and stand next to it in order to stretch out. He commented that the drive was easy and fun.

He is no longer a client at Project Walk. As Feisty suggests, the cost adds up. So, he is considering other options. One thing PW gave him though is some knowledge about workouts for neurological injuries. That knowledge will allow him to do much of the necessary exercise on his own or in settings that are not necessarily one on one. He will become his own best trainer in large part due to their influence.

Noah has one good hand and one that is not so good. However, the bad one has improved dramatically from what he started with. It was several months before he could even move the fingers on his left hand. Now, 2 and 1/2 years later, he can type with it to some extent. He has difficulty spreading the fingers to reach some keys but perhaps it will continue to improve.

PW did not work directly with his hands. However, the intense workouts led to many improvements for him and I think it accurate to suggest that even his hands and fingers benefited from the stimulation. I would encourage your friend to work, work, work. He might see improvements over time. It took awhile for Noah's left hand to respond.

John

I met with Ted and Eric over the summer. Great guys.
    What smarts is the fact that on top of the $3500
    per month, you need to add another $2000 in living expenses.

I need to make a well-informed decision if
    going from Jersey to Cali for $5500 a month
    for 6-12 hours per week of therapy is really cost effective.

Joe
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by john smith
    Hey Feisty;

Yep, a fortune. But it is not Project Walk that is expensive. It's actually a bargain compared to conventional institutionalized PT and OT, which normally cost between $175 and $200+ per hour. We have also seen plenty of that and most of it lacks the intensity of PW.

John

John,

The major difference between Project Walk and 'conventional institutionalized PT' is that one is covered completely or at least partially by insurance. I live in California, and have 6-10 friends in So. Cal. that I could stay with during my stint... but $3500 a month is still $3500 a month.

I grow frustrated not only by government and their lack of initiative, but also by people that know of actual therapies that improve the daily life of people with SCI, but choose to privitize. Trying to get $3500 a month from a group of people dependent on SSI (which by CA average earns apx $2,000 or less monthly) seems like trying to bleed a turnip. I would think people that know of something helpful would try to help others, rather than aim for profit- but optimism has often been my downfall.

Also.

I'd love to attend PW, I really believe that there are things that they could teach me about relearning my body and it's functionality. But at the same time, I'll tell you this... If I had $3500 in the bank right now I'd spend it on a lightweight chair that's easier for me to push around, or workout equipment/modifications in my home, or possibly try to repay my parents that help me afford a PCA. It just seems like an astronomical price offered to people desperate for return. I guess people will pay tons for anything that contains hope.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.