Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning

Turning

Hey guys,

How often does everyone turn at night if you do turn? I get turned every 2 hours What are the benefits- clear lungs and skin? Thanks.
    Marie
    Unbroken by the grace of God

Hi Marie,
    I remember seeing you post in Institutional Care, regarding turning. Have you addressed your concerns with staff - casemanager, nurse superviser, physician, etc, at your living facility?
    Turning needs can vary among people with SCI or anyone with mobility/sensation problems, especially those bedridden (incl. many elderly).
    Have you examined skin to see if you can increase tolerance longer thn 2 hours? I understand that due to some policy at your facility, they've been resistent to working with you on changing turning schedule.
    Anyway, can you provide more info on your current status there? Thanks.

i sleep on my right side. more comfortable and i like total pressure relief on my butt all night. if im restless ill go from side to back a few times. if u cant roll over i would say stay on your side
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Chick,

I sleep on a GEO Mat. I slept on the same foam lay for a year on my back prior to moving to the rehab and had no skin problems. When I first got here I refused treatment and they had a meeting telling all the quads that we had to be turned. I need to have another talk with someone because I get 5-6 hours sleep at the most and am supposed to function in school like that.

As for the facility, I think the care here sucks. They still flush catheters here which has not been done since the 80s. I am gathering documents together to show "the head" that what they are doing is wrong.

My boyfriend is always telling me to stand up for myself which scares me. I am about to fight a bureaucracy as a 19 year old girl and I have no clue what to do. Anyways thanks for responding.
    Marie
    Unbroken by the grace of God

Marie

Chick is right, everyone's needs are different. My brother is c5 with past history of hospital-induced Grade 4 decubitis 5 years ago. His skin has been in excellent repair since that sore was resolved at home. He gets positioned on his side usually about 11:30 at night and turned once during the night to the other side. Although he can go all night, it is better for skin and lungs to be turned. He sleeps on a special foam overlay that I made. At Sheperd Center in Atlanta we were taught to "toughen up" the skin by slowly increasing time between turns.

Maybe another route you could try is discussing this with a private Rehab doctor and having it written as a doctors order. That would excuse the facility itself from liability I presume. Since you are up in the chair all day it would be good to get a position change during the night. We have a "no talk" and dim light policy during position shfts to minimize difficulty getting back to sleep. Good luck, Deb

Agree with everyone else. I sleep on my left side the whole night and turn to my back for about an hour each morning.

turning

Every two hours is recommended to prevent skin breakdown.
    However, some can go to every three hours if they are on a special surface to relieve pressure. Others cannot.

CWO

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper
    Agree with everyone else. I sleep on my left side the whole night and turn to my back for about an hour each morning.
    yup i figure im on my butt all day, its smart to have total relief all night
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    yup i figure im on my butt all day, its smart to have total relief all night
    Same here, I always try to spend least a few hours on one side after having been sat up all day. Having good sensation does help because you tend to feel where the pressure has been.

I certainly don't think that you need to turn every two hours if you are well positioned with pillows between knees/under ankles etc

The biggest problem I find is that my spasms can put my knees or feet in an uncomfortable position within 10 minutes of turning but once I fall asleep I tend not to spasm at all....weird
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Turning

I sleep on my back or left side on a zero pressure, alternating pressure mattress all night with no problems. My wife works in a local hospital and every 2 hours they play Turn Turn Turn by the Byrds (old song i'm dating myself) over the intercom to remind the staff to turn everyone.