Thread: Cure Mandate by Student Society for Stem Cell Research

Thumbs up Cure Mandate by Student Society for Stem Cell Research

Berkeley, Tampa, Memphis, and possibly Boston......Oct 10th

Hey Everyone,

I've been asked to locate people with SCI to attend the launch of the Campaign to Cure Paralysis by the Student Society for Stem Cell Research at www.stemcellrsch.org .

Please contact eswaney@berkeley.edu , mjriggs@stemcellrsch.org or myself at fayeforcure@yahoo.com, if you are available Oct 10th ( the anniversary of the death of Christopher Reeve), for the launch of the Campaign to Cure Paralysis.

Thanks!

Campaign to Cure Paralysis

Stem cell research holds tremendous potential to lead to cures for a variety of diseases and disabilities. For the first time in human history we can see the dots being connected where paralysis from spinal cord injury or other conditions is cured. The Campaign to Cure Paralysis (C2CP) is driven by the belief that we will see persons, previously confined to a wheel chair, walk again. It is no longer a matter of if but when a cure will be realized.

An important objective to the C2CP is to raise public awareness on the progress of medicine to treat paralysis. By increasing public awareness, we can increase public support and demand for resources devoted to ending paralysis. When society views paralysis as a treatable, not permanent, condition, people will rally behind our cause.

The Student Society for Stem Cell Research can reach a very important base, motivating a well-educated and impassioned young population who believe in creating a future without paralysis. The SSSCR network consists of members dedicated to the advancement of medical research for cures. Our members are actively involved in research and promoting pro-research public policy.

The C2CP will allow us to raise public awareness by attracting media attention through letters to the editor, Nothing is Impossible candlelight vigils, and press events. Community service activities, collaborations, fundraising, and legislative office visits are goals and activities of the C2CP.

Mission

The C2CP is a strategic partnership among students and national organizations dedicated to advancing medical research that will cure paralysis from spinal cord injury and other disorders.

SSSCR Chapters
    • Berkeley
    • Harvard
    • University of Memphis
    • University of Missouri- Kansas City
    • University of South Florida
    • Wake Forest University
    Affiliations
    • Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research
    • Stem Cell Action Network
    • Alliance for Stem Cell Research
    • Washingtonians for the Advancement of Medical Research
    • Missouri Coalition for Life Saving Cures
    • Kansas Coalition for Life Saving Cures
    • Floridians for the Advancement of Medical Research
    Problem

Paralysis affects hundreds of thousands of lives. Medical research is casting a new light on paralysis, suggesting that a cure is within our extended grasp. However, public awareness and support has not caught up with medical progress, while misunderstanding and apathy remain.

Motivation

Students are excited about stem cell research and want to see a cure to paralysis realized. Many of us will be the leaders in research and policy in the coming years and we will be left with the responsibility to realize the promise of stem cell research to treat a variety of conditions including paralysis. Meanwhile, we are an impassioned group that can educate the public and our elected officials.

Our Common Cause
    • 1 million with Parkinson’s disease.*
    • 2.5 million people worldwide with multiple sclerosis.
    • 450,000 paralyzed by spinal cord injuries.
    • 30,000 victims of Lou Gehrig's disease.*
    *Sourced from the Stem Cell Research Foundation

Similar Model

The Campaign the End AIDS (C2EA), is a student coordinated effort with the backing of national AIDS advocacy organizations and is reframing the issue of AIDS as a medical illness that can be ended through research and rational public policy. The C2EA Kit provides the framework for the campaign providing details for its implementation. The C2EA culminates with a gathering in D.C. to meet with elected officials. The C2EA has been very effective in communicating their message, attracting media attention, and advancing legislation for their cause. http://www.campaigntoendaids.org.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    By increasing public awareness, we can increase public support and demand for resources devoted to ending paralysis. When society views paralysis as a treatable, not permanent, condition, people will rally behind our cause.
    I also believe this is true, if not all, more people than today will do so. Good job.

Campaign to Cure Paralysis

SSSCR would like for as many as possible to write a letter to the editor, leading up to the launch of Campaign to Cure Paralysis on Oct 10.

For an example of such a letter please see http://www.cureparalysisnow.org/foru....php?p=221#221

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Young does ASCR.

Done

Just wrote the letter
    Shawn (www.shawnoconnell.com)

Remember - Dare to Dream

Our future…our world…our responsibility…

STUDENT SOCIETY FOR STEM CELL RESEARCH PRESS RELEASE: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE October 04, 2005

Media Contact: Marion J. Riggs 813.368.8937 mjriggs@ssscr.org

On Monday October 10, 2005, 9:00pm, at schools across the nation, members of the Student Society for Stem Cell Research will hold “Nothing is Impossible” candlelight vigils to honor the life of Christopher Reeve on the anniversary of his passing.

"I believe that Christopher Reeve would have been proud of the Student Society for Stem Cell Research and their Campaign to Cure Paralysis...I think that he would have been impressed by the fact that students have taken up the banner on behalf of those who need cure, to ask society to commit to achieving cures, whether it is through stem cells or other means. I am proud of the Student Society for Stem Cell Research and their Campaign to Cure Paralysis."

Dr. Wise Young, Christopher Reeve’s former physician and pioneer of spinal cord injury research.

On October 10, 2005, the Student Society for Stem Cell Research is launching the Campaign to Cure Paralysis (C2CP) from spinal cord injury and other disorders by holding Nothing Is Impossible candlelight vigils at campuses throughout the United Sates. The C2CP is a national effort involving SSSCR chapters at leading national universities such as Berkeley, Harvard, Dartmouth, Purdue, and Baylor College of Medicine. The C2CP is a strategic alliance with national patient advocacy organizations, including the Daniel Heumann Fund for Spinal Cord Research, Cure Paralysis Now, Stem Cell Action Network and the Genetics Policy Institute, which promote a rational and ethical framework for stem cell research.

In America, there are 400,000 people with spinal cord injury, 400,000 individuals living with multiple sclerosis, 1 million people with Parkinson’s, and over 5,000 annual diagnosis of ALS. Stem cell research is casting new light on these conditions as treatable. In particular, a recent report from the Associated Press on Aileen Anderson et al’s research demonstrated functional recovery in an animal model of paralysis from spinal cord injury.

It is urgent that the public understands paralysis as a treatable condition that needs society’s commitment to finding a cure. Curing paralysis is the medical challenge of this decade and deserves the same government commitment that occurred in the late 60’s to win the space race and successfully land an American on the moon. It is our patriotic duty to see that a U.S. citizen through American research is the first to get up from a wheel chair after a spinal cord injury.

One year after the passing of Christopher Reeve many roadblocks remain to the research that offers thousands of Americans their best chance to walk again after confinement to a wheel chair. Lawsuits by opponents to stem cell research have prevented distribution of California state grant money, even though a majority of Californians voted in favor of Proposition 71, which approved 3 billion dollars for a ten year period. The House passed H.R. 810, The Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act of 2005, but a floor vote in the Senate on the companion bill, S. 471, so far has been prevented. On September 29 in Wisconsin, home to the discovery of embryonic stem cells, the state legislature passed a bill criminalizing a medical technique to derive patient-specific stem cells. In Florida, a 501(c)4 has formed to ban embryonic stem cell research by constitutional amendment, while research in Missouri is being valiantly defended.

This is all to the detriment of our generation’s belief that we will find cures to these conditions. As those in government debate ideology, real lives are hanging in the balance. Roadblocks to funding thwart our education and training to achieve a cure to paralysis and other conditions. Our generation is ready to carry the flame of Christopher Reeve’s dream for a cure to paralysis.

The Student Society for Stem Cell Research is a U.S. based international organization that is dedicated to advancing scientific research for cures. The SSSCR network spans over 100 institutions, 35 states, and 10 countries. SSSCR is a special project of the Genetics Policy Institute and a member of the Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research.

For more information or to become involved in stem cell advocacy please visit the Student Society for Stem Cell Research at www.ssscr.org, call 813.368.8937, or email info@ssscr.org.

Our future…our world…our responsibility…
    Last edited by Faye; 10-05-2005 at 12:53 PM.

Young does ASCR.